Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI-Warner for Navigon 7 - At last ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI-Warner for Navigon 7 - At last ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I NAIVE Embarassed !!

Asked navigating.de about support for the current Navigon 8110 POIs in MN7. Their reply was
Quote:
The Navigon pre-installed POI-Warner has nothing to do with our POI-Warner (except for the name). I do not know which POI format this software uses but if it uses .asc and .bmp files, they can well be imported into our POI-Warner.

Whether this will cause a hiccup I don't yet know Confused Anyone? Rolling Eyes

Happy New Year. Thumbs Up
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed that the references to the 8110, etc have disappeared from the description of the MN7 release, which now just mentions PDA (not PNA as these Navigon units are referred to). This could be disappointing news Crying or Very sad I have asked navigating.de to confirm the release will still be compatible with them.

Further sadness - the discount has also disappeared now Evil or Very Mad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not all bad news. It's still shown on the German site

"
Setup für Geräte Navigon 8xxx / Navigon 2xxx max / Navigon 22xx / Navigon 12xx

Systemanforderung:
- NAVIGON MobileNavigator|7
- NAVIGON 8xxx oder
- NAVIGON 2xxx max oder
- NAVIGON 22xx oder
- NAVIGON 12xx
- Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 oder Windows NT erforderlich
nicht unterstützt: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME"

As for the discount I'm going to still attempt for it when the UK site is showing the download. I'm sure they can look back at who e-mailed them about it before Christmas while the offer was still on.
It's not our fault they haven't been able to sort the UK website out yet. I even attempted to order from the German pages Laughing
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded POI Warner for MN7 from Navigating.de (German page) on Boxing Day.

I then installed it, in English, on my Navigon 2150 Max.

So far, so good. Then I had to register it to make it work, which obviously required payment to be made.

As a non-German speaker, I opened up the first translation site I found on Google ( I think it was their own translation site), and worked my way through the payment/registration process, translating as necessary as I went along, paying by credit card. I entered my name and address details, as required, and I thought I'd come unstuck when UK wasn't offered as an option for the final line of my address. So I just put Deutchland - as in Preston, Germany. It worked, I got a device number which produced a registration number and transaction number, and off I went - works perfectly.

This site's cameras work - use .asc files with the bitmaps, and I use the same voices I've used for years with MN4 and MN6. The device converts the .asc files to its own format - .bak from memory, which is confusing at first, but it did the same on my 5110 so I was half expecting it.

Excellent SatNav in my view, and well worth having the POI Warner to give full camera functionality.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done MikeS48 - the thought had crossed my mind but I didn't have the courage to go down that road.

Just received this reply to my query above:
Quote:
the POI-Warner for MN7 is now compatible with all MN7 systems. What price and offer is relevant for the English version is not yet certain, as the services coming in the package will differ from the German version.

Three thoughts:

- if they haven't decided on the pricing yet, maybe the wait will be a little longer;

- if the services are different between the German and English versions, there may be a choice to be made;

- the English guide, when available, may not describe the German version exactly.

Still, things are moving! Razz
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigating.de must have got sick of people keep asking;

FAQ section of the site now says this;

When will POI-Warner for Navigon MN7 be available?
The German edition of POI-Warner for MN7 is already available. We are currently working out the translation of our manuals and product descriptions. POI-Warner for MN7 is different from other POI-Warner editions and thus we do not want to sell it without detailed descriptions.
Our plan is to publish the international edition in early January 2009.

Do hope they decide to give us English users some kind of offer which we missed out on.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Poi Warner for MN 7 is now available to buy on the UK section of the site.

Just need to locate my credit card now Surprised
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeS48 wrote:
I downloaded POI Warner for MN7 from Navigating.de (German page) on Boxing Day.

I then installed it, in English, on my Navigon 2150 Max.

So far, so good. Then I had to register it to make it work, which obviously required payment to be made.

As a non-German speaker, I opened up the first translation site I found on Google ( I think it was their own translation site), and worked my way through the payment/registration process, translating as necessary as I went along, paying by credit card. I entered my name and address details, as required, and I thought I'd come unstuck when UK wasn't offered as an option for the final line of my address. So I just put Deutchland - as in Preston, Germany. It worked, I got a device number which produced a registration number and transaction number, and off I went - works perfectly.

This site's cameras work - use .asc files with the bitmaps, and I use the same voices I've used for years with MN4 and MN6. The device converts the .asc files to its own format - .bak from memory, which is confusing at first, but it did the same on my 5110 so I was half expecting it.

Excellent SatNav in my view, and well worth having the POI Warner to give full camera functionality.

Were you able to install the speed camera file from the Navigating.de website. I keep getting a error message telling me I have not installed POIWarner to the default directory??? No idea how as I didn't change anything.
Also how did you convert files to ASC format and which folder do you put them in to put them on the device?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say so far not impressed at all..... Twisted Evil

Feel like I have spent 19 euros plus £16.99 for the speed cam data from here in waste as I just can't get the thing working.

It transferes the ASC files, but no data in them... even more annoying is even when you delete POI's from the device they suddenly come back when you attach the device.

Until I can get it working, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. So far I have spent 5 hours with this software and not got anywhere near trying to see if it works as I can see there is no POI's to warn about.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Part of my issue appears to be Microsoft Vista and it's crazy over zelous security stopping the program creating the BAK files.

However this doesn't explain why I can uninstall the app from the PC and GPS remove unwanted POI files, yet the very same files come back again Rolling Eyes

If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'll be very greatful, at the moment I have forked out loads of money and not had ANY of it working yet. Now even items sync'd from the provided websites don't show any POI's Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Not had chance to test it yet, but having been out all day I decided to have another go before giving up.

This time I copied the asc and bmp files onto the POI folder of the GPS. When I disconnected I was pleased to see an import screen appear as the speed cameras were imported in.

Sure enough I can now see them all listed, just need to test it.

I do wonder what the point of the PC Sync tool is, as it doesnt seem to do a lot other than re-import POI's that I don't want.

BTW... a route simulation doesn't show the alerts as I think POIWarner uses the GPS itself to provide the alerts so as the unit isn't actually moving it's not going to alert me.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have figured it out, I'm very pleased with PoiWarner Very Happy

Went for a quick drive and sure enough the speed cam alerts came up in the right places, the default says something like entering traffic control area' then beeps are repeated as you get closer...
However you can change the alert to whatever you want, either the downloads from here (converted to WAV) or search for AT&T Text to Speech and you can create your own WAV files to say whatever you want Laughing

Also confirmed that the speed camera alerts still work with no route plotted as the software is running independent of the Navigon.

I would advise anyone using Vista to not use the PC Sync software at all as no matter how many times you try to remove POI's Vista will put them back (Microsoft's crazy security).

Only downside I can see at the moment is that the POI do not seem to show on the map itself, when you browse it. I can only assume that the POI will appear in the side bar as you get closer to them.

It's possible to navigate to the POI by finding the place you want and selecting as destination. In the background this creates a 'route' within Navigon that you then load.

I can confirm for anyone who still has doubts that POI Warner for MN7 is compatible with PGPSW Speed cam files. Cool
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk - can you help please? I went into 'Download and Register' on the webisite and used the installer to put the files on the 8110, but the next step says to start POIWarner on the device to get the registration number. But I can't see any icon (green/red square?) on the 8110 to start it up - have I gone down the wrong path somewhere?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigperk... try pressing the reset button under the 8110 so the device does a restart as the Poi-Warner must alter the devices boot up script.

If still no joy, try re-installing again. I can't remember having any issues with installing it, just the frustration of getting the POI's onto the unit until I figured I was reading the instructions wrong Embarassed

When it is installed and running, the icon should be red at first. Also I have noticed sometimes it doesn't boot straight away, I think the more POI's you load the longer it takes to load in the background.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks jonandmarkuk. Once I knew you hadn't had any problem with installation, I looked for something odd. Sure enough, I have been using the original 2GB Navigon card, and it was EXACTLY full after the file load Idea . Not all the files had loaded (no error message of course!). A 4GB card did the trick and everything's loaded nicely now.

Thanks again,

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: