Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the IQ routing effective?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the IQ routing effective?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingfuzz wrote:
IQ routing is currently 24/7 which must lead to limitations. If you think about it a road that is congested at during the school run will only be congested during school times, holidays it will probably run free. This means that IQ routing will balance out one congested day (say 10 min delay) with one free day meaning the total congestion recorded is actually less (ie 5min delay). If the alternative route takes 5 min longer then IQ routing will not reroute. It’s actually a very complex problem which is probably why TT have gone down the live route.

Hmmm...your reasoning would maybe be correct if you used the newest maps with 24/7 data with an older application that can't use this data. The whole idea with the 24/7 data is that the device uses the extended granularity in the data for making more precise route calculations. What you're seem to be implying is that some kind of averaging is done on the 24/7 data before using it for the route calculation. If so, there would be no point in having 24/7 data, would it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
if you used the newest maps with 24/7 data with an older application that can't use this data.

This isn't possible to do, if you load a v815 map which contains the 24/7 data it will not work with anything earlier than the Navcore 8,300 application - Mike
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:

So, why is it necessary to put in the date, rather than just dow when planning. But it would explain why timings on a Sat on the A30 in Cornwall is the same in August as other times - I don't think.

The reason for putting in the time is to tell the device which time frame in the 24/7 data to use.
But, as stated by several before, the completeness of the IQ Routes data is still low, so we'll have to be patient and hope for this to improve over time.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
if you used the newest maps with 24/7 data with an older application that can't use this data.

This isn't possible to do, if you load a v815 map which contains the 24/7 data it will not work with anything earlier than the Navcore 8,300 application - Mike

Yes, I think you're right, but in theory my statement would be correct, right? Very Happy
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
alanji wrote:

So, why is it necessary to put in the date, rather than just dow when planning. But it would explain why timings on a Sat on the A30 in Cornwall is the same in August as other times - I don't think.

The reason for putting in the time is to tell the device which time frame in the 24/7 data to use.
But, as stated by several before, the completeness of the IQ Routes data is still low, so we'll have to be patient and hope for this to improve over time.

I did not mention time of day - I said date and dow (day of week), and was suggesting that the timings might be averaged (by dow to provide a speed figure). My example was the A30 in Cornwall. It takes me (non peak) roughly 1h30m to reach the m5 at Exeter and, indeed IQ routes gives 1.28 for "no specific time". However it gives 1.26 for a journey starting midnight tonight (Sunday) and 1.29 for Sat 15 August departing 10.30 am - not possible, I can assure you.
It has been suggested that TT has insuficient data to provide accurate 24/7/365 data and I am sure this is correct. However, they are using some sort of data - which results in the slightly different times, above. But if the data was only for one journey on a Saturday in August on the A30 it would give a lot longer time than 1.29!!
Perhaps TT weight the data according to the number of timings they have - that would make sense. So, a low number of timings would mean that the IQ time only differs very slightly from the non IQ calculated time.
Or, IQ routes are c*** and just a marketing gimmick.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your last comment. Its a very clever idea but one that, based on an outdated database, will always be inaccurate..however hard they try and update the database. There are just too many variables to make it anything you could rely on.

The alternative of using it at a very basic, assumption based..."its 8.30am therefore it will be rush hour add 30 mins", level would be a waste of time. We can wrok that out for ourselves.

For me its a gimmick..a "lets get one up on the opposition" marketing ploy...I would prefer a better live traffic service and improved and more regular map updates.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
I agree with your last comment. Its a very clever idea but one that, based on an outdated database, will always be inaccurate..however hard they try and update the database. There are just too many variables to make it anything you could rely on.

The alternative of using it at a very basic, assumption based..."its 8.30am therefore it will be rush hour add 30 mins", level would be a waste of time. We can wrok that out for ourselves.

For me its a gimmick..a "lets get one up on the opposition" marketing ploy.

I agree. Maybe they have enough data reports to make IQ routing for the M25 worthwhile but then again maybe not. Taking the m25 as 150 miles and assuming a data sample every 10 minutes for each half mile means over 15 million individual 'bits'. And that is one direction for one road!!!!! To store the data and carry out the calculations for every road in Britain (even just trunk roads) on a unit the size of a TT defies belief.
Great idea in theory - useless in practice.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the example of the M25 above that level of detail would not be required. All that would be needed is the average time between junctions for key times of day. All the matters is the time to the next junction as there are no options or decisions to the route between junctions.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
For the example of the M25 above that level of detail would not be required. All that would be needed is the average time between junctions for key times of day. All the matters is the time to the next junction as there are no options or decisions to the route between junctions.

I had thought of that but the speed does vary between junctions according to the time of day. Even so, there are still an incredibly large number of data samples required for each and every one of the roads in the country. Simply not possible, as my example and those provided by other subscribers proves.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and then things like varying school holidays, bank holidays, festivals.

Just too mnay things to consdier to make it sufficently valuable IMO. As before, better to beef up the on the day live traffic info.

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go to a great amount of data in assessing roads but you do not have to go far to get more accurate than before IQ routes. Before IQ routes it appeared that every road could be driven down at a certain speed at any time depending on the type of road.

The first simple addition would be does this road get busy in rush hour and would require one bit of data to flag this. The speed could then be reduced by 50% on roads with this flag during a period called rush hour. Not accurate at all, but far better than before.

Add another bit of data and you can make another general assumption about traffic flows and so on. You would not have to go far before you could have a large range of types of road by speed and time and you would just have to decide which of these categories each road fitted into.

Even if you could build a database measuring every metre of road for every second of the day, I doubt it would be significantly more accurate in predicting journey times than defining 100 models of road type/speed and allocating each road to a type.

Again there is little point in having a really detailed model of traffic flow as it can only take one slow moving vehicle, a badly parked vehicle or a change in weather to totally change the traffic flows in that area.

Going back 20 years ago there was a route planning software called Autoroute that had all the major routes in the UK, roads could also be classified as normal, slow, urban and a combination of these and you could weight your speed by a percentage of these factors and also change road designations yourself. All this fitted on a single floppy disk.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoroute still exists.

I remember those days as well. It was a coarse guide to how busy a road was and is about as good as it can be now because of all the variables.

mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter how detailed the database for IQ routes, they'll never be accurately reflective of reality. There are just too many variables.

As has been mentioned before, some roads get clogged up with school run traffic. But outside of term, these roads can be totally different. I can't see how IQ routes would ever be flexible enough to cope with in-term and out-of-term differences. After all, the route costs only appear to be updated whenever a new map is released.

Another one -- seasonal variations. I work in the middle of the countryside, and we can either get here via the back roads or the main road (but which takes longer in distance and - usually - time). The back roads that my colleagues and I barrel down at 60mph in the summer -- dry and in strong sunlight -- are totally different now. Icy, unlit and with early sunsets, we probably average 25-30mph along the same roads.

So a summers worth of IQ routing data could then be implemented on a new map release at a time when it no longer reflects the route cost of those roads.

Another flaw, at present, is the fact that they cover M-ways and major trunk roads only, AFAIK. Like with the M25 example above -- it doesn't matter how accurate or detailed the data is, if it results in pushing traffic off the 'slow' M25 onto adjacent minor roads which are equally slow but for which no IQ data is stored simply defeats the object.

I'm now of the opinion that TT's time and investment would be better spent on improving the HD Traffic solution to a point where it can naturally succeed IQ routing, at least on a 'live' basis. And on making HD available to a broader base of users via the HD Travel Accessory... ;-)
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the amount of data grows it could be updated on weekly or monthly basis via Home, just as speed cameras etc are now. This would all but negate the need to program in seasonal variations
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Going back 20 years ago there was a route planning software called Autoroute that had all the major routes in the UK, roads could also be classified as normal, slow, urban and a combination of these and you could weight your speed by a percentage of these factors and also change road designations yourself. All this fitted on a single floppy disk.

Going back less time than that, there was a brilliant piece of software you could use to do much the same (and more) on a PDA - it was called TomTom 3 (and earlier). Ever since then TT have been dumbing down the software and adding stupid bells and whistles - like IQ routing.

I agree with MrT it would be much better to classsify roads into different catogories, including rush hour and holiday route and estimate the additonal time needed. Also the avoid certain roads eg with grass in the middle option which has been mentioned many times would be much more useful.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: