Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the IQ routing effective?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the IQ routing effective?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Is the IQ routing effective? Reply with quote

Im thinking about upgrading my TomTom.

I like the sound of the new IQ Route facility.

Is it effective?

Tc
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a step in the right direction but it still has a long way to go in the coverage and accuracy of the data. However as maps are updated, the info will get better. It still thinks you can do 70 on most of the M25 in the rush hour.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...thanks. Does it actually avoid school runs and schools at 9 and 3ish?

Tc
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the IQ routing effective? Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
Im thinking about upgrading my TomTom.

I like the sound of the new IQ Route facility.

Is it effective?

Tc
Not at present, i was driving home from Silverstone to Sutton Coldfield around 1700, while on the M42 it first tried to send me via the NEC, not to be contemplated at that time of day, followed by a second attempt at stopping me getting home any time soon by trying to put me on the M6 north, which is a car park at the time i was travelling. The M42 was busy, but traffic was maintaining 50 / 60mph, so hardly a reason for re routing. I have switched it off until such time as it is any use.
I get the impression Tom Tom are trying to achieve too much, too soon, and have made a mess of almost everything, i use 3 X 720's, and have had all the usual problems, including being left without my traffic cover for nearly a month, not impressed.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither IQ or HD get the 20-30 minute delay in daily tailback caused by the school run trying to go west under the M1 to the B462/A41 junction.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I might be switching to Navman then.

Ive liked TomTom but want a change.

Tc
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
Hmmm. I might be switching to Navman then.
Which device do you have in mind? and do your home work about new upgrades for both software and maps before switching brands - Mike
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...i am tempted by the new Navman S100.

Im used to the TomTom which is v reliable but i do like the look of the Navman.

Tc
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model TomTom have you got now? I'm interested to know why you are thinking of replacing it, rather than updating it to the latest spec?
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own a TomTom One, version 1.

I don't know if they have changed much. I'm bit interested in blue tooth features. I'd like to have like a 'track back' fascility where it will send you back on the route you chose on the way. I am always deviating! Laughing Out Loud

And for it to be easier to make a POI, one button would be great, especially when driving.

Tc
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It is a step in the right direction but it still has a long way to go in the coverage and accuracy of the data. However as maps are updated, the info will get better. It still thinks you can do 70 on most of the M25 in the rush hour.

As you say 'a step in the right direction' but it's TomTom users who supply the data on which IQ routes is based so, if we want a better service it's up to us to allow this data to be collected regardless of whether we think it's effective or not. Hopefully more date equates to a better service, only time will tell
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ routing is currently 24/7 which must lead to limitations. If you think about it a road that is congested at during the school run will only be congested during school times, holidays it will probably run free. This means that IQ routing will balance out one congested day (say 10 min delay) with one free day meaning the total congestion recorded is actually less (ie 5min delay). If the alternative route takes 5 min longer then IQ routing will not reroute. It’s actually a very complex problem which is probably why TT have gone down the live route.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that some people are unduly negative about IQ routes. In terms of estimated arrival times and route choice, I think that it is the best you can get. Anyone care to name a product that does it better?

In a few years we will look back and laugh at how bad it was, but by then our navigation devices might have 100GB on on board storage and 20Mbps data links to a central server.
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
I think that some people are unduly negative about IQ routes. In terms of estimated arrival times and route choice, I think that it is the best you can get. Anyone care to name a product that does it better?
I don't think it's a case of being 'unduly negative', it simply does not work in its present state, i gave one example of several where it just does not deliver, hence i've turned it off. Tom Tom are using the same practices many companies use, i.e let the customers find and sort out any problems, rather than spending time themselves doing it, still unimpressed.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingfuzz wrote:
IQ routing is currently 24/7 which must lead to limitations. If you think about it a road that is congested at during the school run will only be congested during school times, holidays it will probably run free. This means that IQ routing will balance out one congested day (say 10 min delay) with one free day meaning the total congestion recorded is actually less (ie 5min delay). If the alternative route takes 5 min longer then IQ routing will not reroute. It’s actually a very complex problem which is probably why TT have gone down the live route.

So, why is it necessary to put in the date, rather than just dow when planning. But it would explain why timings on a Sat on the A30 in Cornwall is the same in August as other times - I don't think.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: