Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - question about subscription, sound files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

question about subscription, sound files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: question about subscription, sound files Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a Go720 and my subscription for camera database with TOMTOM has just ended (Dec 5).

I now want to subscribe to Pocketgps camera database and have a few questions.

Since my device already has the tomtom camera database (though now old), would there be any conflict if I download Pocketgps camera database? Will I have to uninstall the eralier ones and reinstall the new ones or will the new ones overwrite the old ones? Or what?

I am also thinking (though presently double minided) of going for Go 40 Live series. So if I install pocketgps database in my Go 720, then buy Go 40 a month or two later, will I have to pay another subscription fee to install Pocketgps database in the new device?

Third and this question is to all respected forum members. I have used a ringtone in my GO 720 to warn me of cameras. I had to record this ringtone in the TOMTOM device itself when I was promoted. And it was working OK.

Recently, I tried to use a refined version of that ringtone and chose not to record it in the tomtom. The ringtone was in my computer so I used windows explorer and copied the refined version to the TOMTOM SOUND folder (SD card with lots of free space still).

I checked the properties of the previous sound files in the TOMTOM sound folder which were alll working allright and there were in .wav format. I used a compression of about 22050 and a bit rate of 16. However, when I tried to use that new file, the tomtom would not play the sound.

I then converted it to .ogg format and pasted in the TOMTOM sound folder but still it wouldn't work. The length of the file isn't to long either. So can any one please help???

best

RATOM
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: question about subscription, sound files Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
Since my device already has the tomtom camera database (though now old), would there be any conflict if I download Pocketgps camera database?

You can remove the TomTom files which is a simple process or easier still, just disable them on the device.
Quote:
I am also thinking (though presently double minided) of going for Go 40 Live series. So if I install pocketgps database in my Go 720, then buy Go 40 a month or two later, will I have to pay another subscription fee to install Pocketgps database in the new device?

Our subscription permits installation on up to three devices owned by you or members of your family so no prob there.

I can't answer the ring-tone query so will leave that for others to respond to although we have an extensive choice of real voice sound alerts available here.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks but pls clarify Reply with quote

Thanks Darren

Correct me please if I have understood it wrong. By disabling you mean, on the Device, I go to TOMTOM SERVICES, then tomtom Safety Cameras, which opens a new screen with six icons, and the bottom left being DISABLE ALERTS????

pls reply...also, how can I remove from the device, the tomtom safety camera files that are already there? This is if I don't want to tap the disable button.

thanks

RATOM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at #13 on the FAQ page which can be found by clicking Here this details how to remove the files from your device.

If you want me to take a look at the rouge file that won't work on your unit as a ring tone please feel free to e-mail it over to me in wav format (or any other if you don't have that) and I will have a look into the issue - my e-mail button below this post will give you my e-mail address - Mike
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren and Mike

I have subscribed to Pocketgsp cam database and installed the comprehensive zone based file in the Western Eruope folder of my 720 Go.

However, all of sudden, the voices (instruction voice) or text to speech voice etc, have begun to crack... for instance for an instruction "turn right", I can only hear Tu...n.....R...and nothing else but noise.

Maybe I have not done this properly, so would you please help???

Thanks
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
However, all of sudden, the voices (instruction voice) or text to speech voice etc, have begun to crack... for instance for an instruction "turn right", I can only hear Tu...n.....R...and nothing else but noise.

Have you by any chance also 'updated' your 720 to v8.300 Navcore?

Issues such as stuttering voices have been observed by people installing 8.300 and commented upon in the TomTom forum

...just a thought
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy that was my thought too.

RATOM, the installation of our voice alert files cannot possibly have any effect on the navigation voice in this way. However TomTom's recent v8.3 update has caused just the symptoms you describe.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: So very easy and great, thnx Reply with quote

Hello Darren

Thanks for your help. I installed everything and all is not only OK but looks great!.

No, I don't have version 8 so far (remember I told you I may go for Go 40 Live series) and apparently, repeat apparently, it was because of home dock [usb] that I was using to connect the device to PC...the only plausible explanation is that either it is overall faulty (I doubt though coz it works fine for other operations) or it was faulty in at least powering the device. Last night, I had let the device sit there for quite some time but noticed a warning of low battery hours later...so the moment, I used the home charger, the sounds just CAME BACK.

I also managed to download LIZ warning sounds and they are brilliant...I will experiment with other voices too.

And to all those who may still be using tomtom camera databast, I would say there is no comparison with pocketgps database....I had updated tomtom camera database, about two three weeks ago and it was not showing two gastos in my area...I went there with pocketgps database, and it was spot on. Also, the redlight camera alerts in it are much better because they show the icon, unlike the tomtom warnings of some weared speed camera alert at redlight. So guys who are still using tomtom, try GPS database and you would be happier.

best

RATOM
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks Mike Reply with quote

Hello Mike

Thanks for your offer to have a look at the file that I was unable to put in tomtom.

After downloading pocketgps cam databse, while I was downloading Liz sound files for warning, I noticed that each .ogg file was about 45 kbps. I was using adaucity to make the ogg file but was doing it at 125 kbps...and stereo not mono.

Secondly, I realised later that I was giving my file a different name than the ov2 file. Somewhere on forums, the advice is to give it a name that exactly matches the ov2 file.

I finally managed to meet both criteria and it is working fine in tomtom now. So was it due to both errors or either, I don't know.

However, I did not copy the ogg file in map folder (against the advice) but in the SOUND folder of the Device and it is still working...

Any thoughts?

best

RATOM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low battery levels are known to induce speech failure on these units, that's why we recommend the use of the car charger lead while mobile. Glad to hear it was something as simple as this though.

I hope you enjoy the improved accuracy of the Speed Camera database now you have decided to use the one from this site - comparisons are easy to make irrespective of location IMHO - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Mike Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:

After downloading pocketgps cam databse, while I was downloading Liz sound files for warning, I noticed that each .ogg file was about 45 kbps. I was using adaucity to make the ogg file but was doing it at 125 kbps...and stereo not mono.

Last ime I experimented, if you put the sound file in the maps folderit HAD to be .ogg format, but if you put it in the "sounds" folder, it could be ogg OR wav format. I can remember that the highest sample rate for wavs was 22,050Hz but off the top of my head I can't remember the maximum rate for oggs. I've got it written down somewhere.....
Stereo files did work if I remember correctly, but they take up twice as much space so I didn't experiment with them at depth.

Quote:
Secondly, I realised later that I was giving my file a different name than the ov2 file. Somewhere on forums, the advice is to give it a name that exactly matches the ov2 file.

If the file is put into the map's folder. it has to have a name that exactly matches the POI's .ov2 file, so it can be linked automatically to the POI by the system.
However, if it is in the sounds folder. it can have any name you like as it is not assigned automatically. Instead you pick it just like one of the built in sounds on the Sound Effects page.

Why it wasn't working for you, is probably just one of those things...
If you send it to Mike (or me) one of us will have a look, but glad to hear you are happy with our "Liz" voice files.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Ogg files...and help with favourites Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P

Your comment sehds more light on how to do that...I didn't know for instance the different "reactions" if one puts sound files in (1) Sound Folder and (2) Map folder.

you wrote "I can remember that the highest sample rate for wavs was 22,050Hz but off the top of my head I can't remember the maximum rate for oggs. I've got it written down somewhere..... "

Will appreciate if you could find the exact rate/method of doing that....I am thinking of adding a countdown to the existing warning in my device. Just like it. And that will have to be the Ogg type.

I am away from home right now, where I have the file I had made, which was not working...but later when I changed the bit rate to 22050, 16 bit, it started working...So apparently, that worked but would welcom wiser thoughts please.

ALSO

Will you or any one kindly confirm that to reload Favourites from a backup to Go 720, you have to just COPY the "system.cfg" file from the backup MAP folder to the MAP folder of 720.

RIGHT?

I have lost favourites and just want to reload.

best

RATOM
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:

Will appreciate if you could find the exact rate/method of doing that....I am thinking of adding a countdown to the existing warning in my device. Just like it. And that will have to be the Ogg type.

For TomTom "Go" and "One" systems, use 22,050Hz, other devices such as TTMobile may require a lower rate. Stick with 16 bit format (I think 8 bit .oggs work, but 8 bit wavs don't).

A good (free) program to use for recording and editing your sound files is "Audacity". It is one of the few that works with .ogg format straight off.
Get it from: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There is also a good tutorial here:
http://tomtom.graemelucas.co.uk/tomtomstep1.htm
It's primarily about making your own navigation voice files, but gives a good grounding in setting Audacity's "project rate" correctly.

RATOM wrote:
ALSO

Will you or any one kindly confirm that to reload Favourites from a backup to Go 720, you have to just COPY the "system.cfg" file from the backup MAP folder to the MAP folder of 720.

No... the file you are thinking of is "MapSettings.cfg" and it lives in the folder with the name of your map - NOT a folder called"map".

Copying this after it had been overwritten by a new version when updating software always USED to work, but in some of the recent software updates the format of that file has changed, so you CAN'T copy it back without causing issues ranging from loss of voice recognition, to odd crashes, to not booting up at all.

It is safer now to let it create a new file from scratch and re-do your settings manually. It's a bit of a bore, but only takes five minutes (especially once you've done it a few times!).

To get your favourites back, the easiest thing to do is to import your OLD MapSettings.cfg file into a program called POIEdit (get it from www.poiedit.com/).
You'll be able to see a list of locations which should include your favourites as well as your home location and a load of recent destinations (!)
In that program, delete any you don't want and then save the remaining list as a POI file (".ov2" extension)
This can then be copied back onto the TomTom (in the same named map folder again) and you will then see it as a user-POI category.

If you wish, you can convert them back to favourites by Change preferences/Manage Favourites/Add Favourite/From POI, but I'd say it is worth keeping them as POIs instead, as there are several advantages:

1.you can have many more (I think you are limited to 24 Favourites, you can have thousands of places in a POI file.

2. you get to keep them on the next software change without this faffing about!
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Sound files, favourites Reply with quote

Andy_P

Many thanks. That was really helpful....I will do accordingly and report back...

I also agree with you about making a POI file for favourites...the only issue sometimes is that you are in the middle of the road (whose name you don't know, specially while driving). In these situations a quick fix I use is to save the location in the favourites by going for "GPS position" and rename it later.

But then this risk is always there as you pointed out.

Thanks anyway for your help...I will play with audacity later in the week and report.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on how I can change the Speed indicating ICON that keeps blinking on top left of the device when a camera approaches...

I was just thinking if I could use a comparatively bigger ICON there...

SO if you are aware of any discussion on this issue, can you please refer me to that...I searched for that but could not get one.

best

RATOM
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound files, favourites Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
Meanwhile, any suggestions on how I can change the Speed indicating ICON that keeps blinking on top left of the device when a camera approaches...

I was just thinking if I could use a comparatively bigger ICON there...

Our database is supplied with X2 versions of the icons. These are used by the software to display the icon at top left and are as big as the software permits.

You cannot change the blinking, it's there as an alert by design.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: