Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what the TomTom X40s have? Do they even have the cameras, never mind the speed?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
penguinmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez I drove this stretch both ways tonight and drivers clearly didn't have a clue how the cameras worked or what speed they should do. When the 50mph section ended people speeded up a little then slammed on the anchors when they saw the next set of cameras. So dangerous but I'm sure the revenue will be HUGE.

Why Keymed are involved I dont know - this section is miles from them. Not a section that's easy to speed on either as it's often so congested.

Oh and 2 of those fatalities were where those huge barriers are in the reservation, with all the signs that say "fatal accident site do not cross". They were not caused by speeding but by 2 pedestrians crossing a busy, fast moving road to get to McDonalds becasue their drive didn't want to drive to the junciton and back so had stopped in the petrol station. The driver was cleared although remains traumatised to this day by his experience.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no football fanatic, but did anyone else notice that these cameras were activated just in time for Chelsea to visit Southend in the cup? I wonder how many fans paid an extra £60 for their night out?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Anybody know what the TomTom X40s have? Do they even have the cameras, never mind the speed?

Just updated the 940 TT camera database and it does seem to have these SPECS.
I ran a demo and it flashes a "50" sign all the way along the A127 from just past the A132 roundabout until just before the first fixed Gatso:3410@40. There was also a Warning triangle with a camera and what I think must be a speedo in it which flashed up instead at times. It doesn't seem to have the exact camera locations marked (unless they were hidden under the PGPSW icons, which I doubt), and it all seems a bit vague what's going on, but obviously having the reminder going all through the zone is a good feature.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eecho-News.co.uk: "The controversial average speed cameras on the A127 are not working properly and have not caught a single driver since they were introduced last month."
A127 speed cameras are not working yet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably they use the 'standard' specs cams, so does this not throw doubt on all specs cams?? I wouldn't bet on it. Perhaps they need a higher standard of evidence than other forces?
punzel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

Does the ANPR system actually understand all the illegally spaced and illegal typefaces used by boy racers and other arrogant drivers who think they are above the law? I am hard pushed to know what they really are sometimes so I doubt it. Can any police or county council official confirm please?

Jellyroll wrote:
KeyMed make boroscopes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the fatal and serious accidents were caused by "lads" on their way to Southend on a Friday and Saturday night for an unofficial "cruise". Why should they be operational the rest of the time?

Thank $deity I moved from Southend to Lancashire a couple of years ago.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

punzel wrote:
Does the ANPR system actually understand all the illegally spaced and illegal typefaces used by boy racers and other arrogant drivers who think they are above the law? I am hard pushed to know what they really are sometimes so I doubt it. Can any police or county council official confirm please?

No which is why the layout and font is specified as a legal requirement.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
punzel wrote:
Does the ANPR system actually understand all the illegally spaced and illegal typefaces used by boy racers ...

No which is why the layout and font is specified as a legal requirement.
However, presumably, the ANPR system will recognise that it hasn't been able read the plate and pass it to a human?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
However, presumably, the ANPR system will recognise that it hasn't been able read the plate and pass it to a human?

If it's a manned ANPR then yes. Until recently drivers with plates that didn't comply would get a warning but they're taking these much more seriously now.
punzel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

If only I could believe that the police were taking illegal registration plates more seriously. In my 10 minute walk from home to the bank and back at the weekend, I saw 5 illegally represented reg plates. They are really so blatant, and confident that they won't be stopped, that they drive around flaunting them freely. There is one parked at the top of my road which permanently has its numbers and letters disguised with screws to change the whole meaning of the plate.

I think these new speed cameras will catch some people, but are unlikely to catch those that deliberately and persistently flout the law with these misrepresented plates. The chances are that many of them probably have no road tax or insurance or both, maybe even disqualified too.

There should be a web site, perhaps part of the DVLA, where they can be reported, then Mr Plod could go round to the registered keeper, fine them the £1000 and confiscate the plate. That would see a significant reduction in this activity.

Darren wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

If it's a manned ANPR then yes. Until recently drivers with plates that didn't comply would get a warning but they're taking these much more seriously now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

punzel wrote:
If only I could believe that the police were taking illegal registration plates more seriously. In my 10 minute walk from home to the bank and back at the weekend, I saw 5 illegally represented reg plates. They are really so blatant, and confident that they won't be stopped, that they drive around flaunting them freely. There is one parked at the top of my road which permanently has its numbers and letters disguised with screws to change the whole meaning of the plate.

I must admit I'm bemused as to why you are so upset about these. Surely there are far more important things to get worked up about?

To my mind they become MORE recognisable (at least by human eyeballs), so if a copper was told to look out for one, it stands out like a sore thumb.
And they are all pretty obvious what they SHOULD say, if someone takes 5 seconds to look at a speed camera photograph.

But if one of the myriad government spy cameras gets confused by them, then jolly good, I say!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

punzel wrote:
I think these new speed cameras will catch some people, but are unlikely to catch those that deliberately and persistently flout the law with these misrepresented plates. The chances are that many of them probably have no road tax or insurance or both, maybe even disqualified too.

They probably drink, smoke, swear a lot, give the finger to other drivers, speed, drive without due care an attention, etc. Let's generalise and create a brand new stereotype shall we. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Surprised Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But if one of the myriad government spy cameras gets confused by them, then jolly good, I say!

And what about ANPR, anti-terrorist etc? ANPR is live and not always manned by a human operator.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: will boyracers be caught? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
punzel wrote:

They probably drink, smoke, swear a lot, give the finger to other drivers, speed, drive without due care an attention, etc. Let's generalise and create a brand new stereotype shall we. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Surprised Wink

Yes, let's do that - suggestions for a name please? I'll open it with "Arrogant Bs"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: