Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkeneddreams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: If the Echo is right, lucky me... Reply with quote

I'm studying in Liverpool at the moment, so I was blimin surprised to find specs on the A127 tonight...geez what next? I was doing about 75mph when I spotted an odd looking lampost in the middle of the carriageway, immediately I thought of the specs, slowed down to 60mph (yes I'm aware its a 70mph speed limt, but as I was doing 75mph I though the lower speed would equal out over the distance etc.

Do specs ONLY take average speed OR Do they note your actual incoming speed and also take an average reading as well????

The Echo says "They will measure the time a car takes to cover the distance between the two points and will start working from January 2009."

Can anyone confirm this?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average only, there's no instantaneous speed reading with SPECS (so far!)
an0key
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Echo is right, lucky me... Reply with quote

darkeneddreams wrote:
I'm studying in Liverpool at the moment, so I was blimin surprised to find specs on the A127 tonight...geez what next? I was doing about 75mph when I spotted an odd looking lampost in the middle of the carriageway, immediately I thought of the specs, slowed down to 60mph (yes I'm aware its a 70mph speed limt, but as I was doing 75mph I though the lower speed would equal out over the distance etc.

Do specs ONLY take average speed OR Do they note your actual incoming speed and also take an average reading as well????

The Echo says "They will measure the time a car takes to cover the distance between the two points and will start working from January 2009."

Can anyone confirm this?

Google / wikipedia is your friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECS_(speed_camera)
darkeneddreams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

I thought they where both but thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone know if there working and running now .... ???

Or is it definitely Jan 09 there being launched?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

darkeneddreams wrote:
I thought they where both but thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone know if there working and running now .... ???

I suspect that they are currently not working. Although there is no legal requirement they currently do not follow the government's guidelines for speed cameras. There are no camera warning signs and no camera signs with the speed indicated.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPECs cameras are now creeping further out towards London. I visited my brother in Wales on Boxing Day and discovered 2 new sets of SPECs around Basildon.

Ironically as I approached the second set I saw a host of red vehicles with flashing blue lights, an ambulance and a number of police cars exactly opposite the camera. As we passed we saw a car upside down in the ditch. Apparently the driver escaped with no injuries, I wonder if this incident will be classified as a DSI (Death or Serious Injury)?

Evening Echo wrote:
Man escapes uninjured after car accident

4:52pm Friday 26th December 2008

A MAN had a lucky escape after his car overturned and landed in a ditch.

The 35-year-old driver was travelling along the Southend-bound carriageway of the A127 today when his Volvo left the road at the Wickford turn off, flipped upside down and landed in a ditch.

The driver escaped uninjured.

ripeda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
The SPECs cameras are now creeping further out towards London. I visited my brother in Wales on Boxing Day and discovered 2 new sets of SPECs around Basildon.

Mike, the Evening Echo recently stated that the SPECs system will cover the stretch of the A127 from the Fortune of War to the start of the 40 mph limit in Leigh on Sea. Although I don't doubt that by this time next year (2009) they will stretch from the M25/A127 slip road right into Southend.

The stretch that really needs SPECs coverage if it is going to be done is the stretch from the derestricted point into Southend. When driving along that stretch when at work and off work I constantly see the 'racers' (both young and old I would add) flying along at around 45 - 50 mph then brake heavily to scrub their speed off to below 40 mph for the GATSO's. It is this behaviour that causes both collisions and frustrations and rage from other drivers. This section of A127 is also more likely to have injury related collision as the road is surrounded by residential areas and people need to pass from one side to the other.

However lets think about the psychology of speeding; people are more likely to speed on a dual carriageway that passes through countryside than through residential areas. So where are you going to place speed cameras?

Sallyann; I fully understand the principles and technicalities of average speed cameras and their positioning. The point I was trying to get at was that changes to road speeds only makes local suffer because moving around their community takes longer due to the inconsiderate driving of 'others'. Clearly the system is there to identify those breaking the speed limit but the question I was trying to pose was should a lower speed limit really be imposed in a location that allegedly does not have a safety problem but moreover for income generation.
soggs_k9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:
I wonder how many people won't understand the word average, and just slow down at the camera points ...

I see that regularly here. I live in Ayrshire where we have had a lengthy trial of average speed cameras over an extensive stretch of the A77 between Kilmarnock and Girvan.

I have found the dual carriageway stretches to be a nuisance, but manageable, as slow traffic tends to stay in the nearside lane allowing you travel at the limit where appropriate. I do have to admit to setting the cruise control and going into auto pilot mode on occasion, especially in the 50 stretch.

On the single carriageway section however, I have found a real problem of slow traffic causing bunching and slowing everyone to a crawl. What I think happens is, someone out for a trundle and in no hurry decides that 35 is fast enough, even though it's a 60 limit. A car (or heaven forbid an HGV which just can't get past) catches up and is afraid to overtake in case he/she incurs the wrath of the camera gods in some way. The result can be a long and tedious journey taking far longer than Sally Sat Nav predicts & the frustration can cause its own problems with dangerous overtakes etc.

There is also the problem of alternative routes on minor roads (like the coast road via Turnberry). Traffic will use these roads to try to make up time lost behind the '20's plenty' driver or just to avoid the cameras in general. From my own experience this just leads to white vans & rep-mobiles travelling at mach speed on less suitable roads. The cameras may cut crashes on the main road but I'd be interested to see the stats for the surrounding roads since this trial started.

It is hard to argue with a measure which enforces limits over a large area rather than at one specific place, whether you like the idea of cameras or not. I think they are probably a good idea when targeted at road works or similar but are no replacement for fixing what makes a dangerous road dangerous.

I suppose I am like most people and listen to the road safety message but only hear another bullying tax.
Lastly, like any other technological solution, remember there are stupid people out there!

Stu
darkeneddreams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

The cameras are coming to close to Essex, though ironically I'm pro SPECS when it comes to traffic management, however I wish they could be turned off when there is an empty road ..it bloody frustrating doing 70 mph, clear day or night, decent road conditions etc...and your stuck doing 70mph because of the dangerous accidents happening in the opposite road environment (ie icy roads, traffic mayhem etc) ...
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update from the Echo:
Quote:
DRIVERS on the A127 will have to watch out when a new speed limit and average speed cameras come into force in two days.

From Thursday, there will be a 50mph speed limit on a 3.8-mile stretch of the road, and the controversial average speed cameras will be switched on. Drivers travelling in both directions between the Dick Turpin pub and the Southend borough boundary will have to keep their cars to 50mph.

Drivers warned: A127 50mph limit in force from Thursday
ripeda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

darkeneddreams wrote:

Apparently the SPECs system has been working watching the road for people travelling at over 70 mph (when there have been no technical hitches) but the speed limit is reduced from tomorrow (15th Jan 2009) to 50 mph.

No great advertising campaign to promote this move to improve safety (smacks to me of an income generation scheme). Yes there are 50 mph signs but such a significant change should surely attract some sort of advertising campaign?
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

Quote:
but the speed limit is reduced from tomorrow (15th Jan 2009) to 50 mph.

Will today's camera release reflect the lower speed limit or do we have to wait until next weeks release? Shocked
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt and I were discussing it last night and decided to drop the speed to 50 from Pound Lane/Dick Turpin pub into Southend. If they decide not to for some reason we will have erred on the side of safety.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
MaFt and I were discussing it last night and decided to drop the speed to 50 from Pound Lane/Dick Turpin pub into Southend. If they decide not to for some reason we will have erred on the side of safety.

Thanks Mike,

So has the reduced speed limit to 50mph been reflected in today's cam release?
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batties wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Thanks Mike,

So has the reduced speed limit to 50mph been reflected in today's cam release?

Yes it has.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: