Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - pretec compactGPS failed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

pretec compactGPS failed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: pretec compactGPS failed Reply with quote

Has anyone else had problems with compactGPS? Mine failed after 10 months (10 months ago) and I have not yet received a replacement.
It was bought from Expansys, who denied all knowledge of the sale, and referred me to the manufacturer. No luck there.
The fault appears to be on the satellite detection side- tested with Winfast Navigator- and all satellites which appear are shown at the same azimuth and bearing- zero in both cases. The GPS cannot therefore determine my position.
I am hoping that this symptom is simply a failed antenna, and can be 'worked around' by plugging in an external antenna. Does anyone know for sure? I would rather not waste money buying something which may well follow the GPS into the bin.
PS have contacted Expansys again and there may be a chance of replacement. Is this a record? (10 months from complaint)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the backup battery has drained and isn't keeping the almanac. Try keeping it running outside for 15 mins and see if it will obtain a factory fix.
bilko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you replace the backup battery if it needs changing? I have ahad a peek inside my Pretec CF and it seems to be soldered onto the board.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no easy way of changing this. Some do have a physical battery on-board, most more modern GPS Receivers have a capacitor that retains a charge that keeps the almanac data stored in chip.

The only way to re-generate this is to charge it for around 12 hours, but if it's not holding a charge, there's very little you can do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: