Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What operates the unit--internal disk or memory card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What operates the unit--internal disk or memory card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailortoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: What operates the unit--internal disk or memory card Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a bit basic-I`ve looked for previous threads etc.
Tom Tom 720. map 7.05
My memory card has application version 8.010 and car symbols on it
My internal disk has complete operating system version 7.481 map 7.05.
when unit is on, tapping screen shows version 8.010.
What have I done and which version is the unit really using.
Perhaps nothing to do with the aforementioned but my computer voices also do not work.
Any help appreciated.
Richard
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TT devices will boot from either the disk/internal memory or the card, taking the card first, if they both have all the operating files on them.
sailortoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.But if I take out the card the unit refuses to boot at all.
The only things on the card apart from some mp3`s are Application version 8.010 and car symbols no other folders .Originally the tomtom had a plastic disk in the card slot so obviously it should work without.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a pin reset on the unit with the sd card out and see if it boots properly to internal and firmware 7x.
sailortoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done that.No go!
Boots up with tom tom sound then picture of tom tom with red flashing disk.with a cross through it
Push in card all ok but it take a while to come on.
Richard
sailortoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.Have now frightened myself to death.Whether I have sorted it I`m not sure yet.
Took out card-Deleted everything via windows explorer.Re-entered a backup, unfortunately done with TTHome.I now have Application 8.3(with map 705 How long is that going to work ?)It now boots without card in so thats a result, and at the moment I have a Computer voice working.
All tested without a valid GPS Signal.So I shall see tomorrow whether it works in the real world.
Lesson learned-KEEP AWAY FROM TomTom Home!
Back up with explorer

Richard
PS.I now don`t want to switch it off.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T says correctly that most TomToms with both internal memory and an SD card will boot from either if an operating system is found on them, and will use the SD card first.

What you also need to know is that models prior to the x20 range could ONLY look at one place or the other.

From the x20 onwards, it can have maps, voices etc. scattered across both storage places. POIs still need to be in the specific map folder they are intended to work with though.
sailortoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all.I now understand whats going on.It was very confusing to say the least that I had one version showing on the TT screen and another in TTHome.Have been out today and all is OK.First time for a long time althought, I didn`t know it.
The thing that is puzzling me though is how did I get a version on the SD card in the first place,the only things I have placed on there are MP3s.Presumably it was through TT Home and me pressing something I shouldn`t.I think maybe I will remove the card before any more updating.
Thanks for the help
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that as SD cards are so cheap I keep a complete backup on the SD card so if I am travelling and anything happens to my settings etc, I can put the SD card in and run it from that. I have never had to use it yet, but a few times on the old PDA I had to restore from the SD card.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a card installed I'm fairly sure that Home asks whether it should us the TomTom Internal or SD Card memory, although this may only apply if you have an OS on both.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.......

With a sd card installed, Home will ask which to use even if the o/s is in one location only. At least for my 720 that happens.

I suspect that for lesser models than x20, x30 x40 where the o/s must reside where the map resides on these lesser models, you may be correct that the o/s would have to be in both memory locations for Home to ask which to use.
sailortoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I find that as SD cards are so cheap I keep a complete backup on the SD card so if I am travelling and anything happens to my settings etc, I can put the SD card in and run it from that. I have never had to use it yet, but a few times on the old PDA I had to restore from the SD card.

Now that, is a good idea,which I shall be taking up.Thanks.
I shall still take out the card when I `m updating though, then (I)(It)(Home)(Computer)(Whichever) won`t get mixed up.(It`s just remembering to do all these things though--I`m of an age when forgetting is easier than remembering)
Have you noticed that with all modern technology you seem to end up spending more time messing about with the hardware rather than using it for it`s intended purpose--or is it me?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: