Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 Questions about my New TomTom GO 940 LIVE, Help Needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Questions about my New TomTom GO 940 LIVE, Help Needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: 2 Questions about my New TomTom GO 940 LIVE, Help Needed Reply with quote

Hi guys

i was playing with my new device tonight and got this message on the screen "WARNING: TomTom LIVE services do not work abroad or in an area without coverage. Error Code: 2031"
is my unit faulty and do i need to take it back to HALFORDS or back to TomTom and have to wait an eternity to get it back,
i cant believe my luck with Sat Navs!! first of all my Garmin had loads of problems and now the top of the range TomTom, am i jinxed????

also, where do you plug a mains charger into the 940 ??
i cant see a USB hole anywhere, yet they sell a home mains charger which i was going to buy tomorrow, sorry to sound thick, but im confused Embarassed
can you only charge it in your car and in the provided dock while plugged to your PC?

HELP NEEDED Shocked
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions about my New TomTom GO 940 LIVE, Help Needed Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
Hi guys

i was playing with my new device tonight and got this message on the screen "WARNING: TomTom LIVE services do not work abroad or in an area without coverage. Error Code: 2031"
is my unit faulty and do i need to take it back to HALFORDS or back to TomTom and have to wait an eternity to get it back,
i cant believe my luck with Sat Navs!! first of all my Garmin had loads of problems and now the top of the range TomTom, am i jinxed????

also, where do you plug a mains charger into the 940 ??
i cant see a USB hole anywhere, yet they sell a home mains charger which i was going to buy tomorrow, sorry to sound thick, but im confused Embarassed
can you only charge it in your car and in the provided dock while plugged to your PC?

HELP NEEDED Shocked

I can help with your first query. The error message comes up when you are not in a Vodafone signal area. The unit assumes therefore that you are not in the UK, hence the message. If you move to a Voafone signal area, the message should disappear.

Can't help with the second query as I have a 540.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mains charger might wel be a standard plug-shaped device which then accepts the USB plug on the end of your dock. That's what I got with my iPhone.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, so glad my unit isnt faulty!
i had a nightmare last night with a right jobsworth manager at Oxford Branch of Halfords, i first bought the TomTom 740 GO LIVE and got it home and realised that it didnt have bluetooth feature and FM transmitter and a few other things, i phoned the manager up and asked if i could return it an pay the extra for the 940 model, he said NO you cannot because you have opened it and turnt it on, i was a bit bemused so i rang TomTom and they said he is talking absoluite crap, i was well within my right to return if it im not satisfied, i then rang manager back up and told him that i can return it, he still said NO, tom tom dont know what they are talking about! i couldnt believe how rude he was and then he said "i been with halfords with 10 years and im telling you that you cant return it, i dont care what tomtom have said" Mad

i then thought i would ring the other Oxford branch and speak to their manageress, she was lovely and said im very sorry for how you were treated by the other manager at our other oxford store, bring your 740 back and pay the difference and you can have the 940 Very Happy

morale of the story is DONT TRUST THESE MANAGERS, they dont know everything!

i have lodged a formal complaint with HALFORDS Head Office as i dont want other shoppers being treated like this on the run up to Christmas
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a vodaphone area and I travelled to London the other day still not working.still get the message "WARNING: TomTom LIVE services do not work abroad or in an area without coverage. Error Code: 2031" I also get this account is registered to another devis which is crap as TOMTO have told me the other device has been remove.

I wait with bated breath
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically, i have bought a unit advertised with as "LIVE" and it doesnt work anywhere?...............Great!..........errrr, now what?
i can use all the features but NOT its main purpose, i chose this for all the hype and what it could do to save me time when stuck in Traffic etc

does anyone elses 940 LIVE Function work ok and doesnt get the Error Code 2031??

thanks
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
i was well within my right to return if it im not satisfied,

That is totally wrong, if the goods are not faulty and are as described and you buy in a shop you have no right of return at all. Any returns for non-faulty goods are a goodwill gesture by the shop. Many shops have a policy where they will take them back but there is no legal obligation for them to.

If you buy from a distance ie mail order or over the internet you can return goods if you change your mind with seven days of receipt.

It is an interesting point with the x40 series as if you turn it on, it connects with TomTom and the Latest Map Guarantee starts ticking down its 30 days. If they resell it to someone else they may find they do not get a LMG that works.

Also there will shortly be a mains charger available for the x40 range but it is a dock that plugs into a USB socket in a transformer-plug, there will also be a USB cable that will fit the X40. They are due in the next few days.

As to the device is registered for another account, search this forum there are many posts on this and this mainly comes about through trying to set up the X40 live services from within Home or trying to use more than one device on an account. It is easier to set up a new account.

New charger
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the post correct the other device has been taken of the account following my many talks with TOMTOM as to seeting up another account tried still no good still rubbish I sent 2 hrs on the phone with then today they said will call back guess they did not suprise suprise
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys and Gals Smile

i want to buy a Home Mains Charger for my new TomTom GO 940 LIVE

im a bit confused, how do you plug the home mains charger into the Sat Nav unit itself? there are no holes to plug it in....
(sorry if i appear thick, all this is a bit new to me!)
at the moment i am using the supplied dock to charge the unit from my PC
how do you know when the unit is FULLY CHARGED?
when you first plug the unit into the dock, the light on the top of the unit is ORANGE, when its charging it then turns GREEN, how do you know
(when the unit is turnt off) if it is fully charged?? Confused
i was told to charge the unit for 4 hours from one of the TOM TOM advisors

i wanted to buy this but theres absolutely knowhere that has them in stock
TomTom - x40 Charger

would this alternative suffice?
Halfords Link - mini-USB Charger

MANY THANKS Laughing

anyone?
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom one is not in stock as it has not been released in any quantity if at all yet.

The TomTom charger that Halfords have you will be able to plug your dock into the plug-transformer as it has a USB socket on it and charge it that way or put the lead from the charger into the active mount and charge it that way. That is what I do.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to currently charge the x40 at home is with the PC cradle connected to a powered USB socket, this either means the computer or if you have one a powered USB hub.

Orange LED means the device is charging, once it has turned green the device is fully charged.

The travel kit you linked to on the TT web site is a new accessory and I have yet to see this is any shops, I guess the only place to purchase one of these currently is directly from TomTom.

The other link to Halfords is for a different device, the x20/ x30 and One units use a mini USB socket for charging which is what this item is for - it is useless for the x40 devices - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynesters wrote:
i was told to charge the unit for 4 hours from one of the TOM TOM advisors

TomTom Advisors?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I do it with the dock and the TomTom travel charger for the Go530:

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom x40 charger appears to offer a travel cable that plugs directly into the base of an x40:

But do you really need a mains charger? Charging from a PC is perfectly OK and in car it really needs to be connected to 12v anyway?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought out MrT - perhaps that charger isn't quite as useless as I made out above Embarassed - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: