Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyway to move maps back to internal memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyway to move maps back to internal memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Techieboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Anyway to move maps back to internal memory Reply with quote

Ooops. Broke out the trusty old 730 this evening for the first time in a year. Plugged it in, downloaded some updates and then forgot about it.

In a fit of tidying up the contents of my PC I started deleting various files from my hard drives and didn't notice that Explorer had ventured into the SD card that was plugged into my 730 and contained the most recent maps (that I had anyway) and all of the program files (at some point in the dim and distant, I copied everything across to the SD card and had older un-updated navcore and maps on the internal memory). So I merrily deleted a handful of .chk files assuming I was tidying up after a scandisk of some form. Ooops, that's killed the content on the SD card.

I tried to undelete them without any joy. Tried copying the .chk files from the internal memory onto the SD card but that didn't help. So thought sod it, I'll update what's on the 730 itself and go from there.

Started it up fine and connected it to Home and was offered a download of a newer map and newer version of the navcore stuff. Obviously, the map wouldn't fit on the internal memory so I moved the Western Europe directory over to the SD card and then Home happily downloaded the new navcore to internal memory and the new map to the SD card.

So, I've got working TomTom of sorts. But I'd kind of like to get back to where it was with a working version of the navcore that can run from both internal memory and the SD card and I guess older more compact (or even just UK and French maps) installed on the internal memory, especially if I ever needed to pull the SD card and any questionable POI's when in France, for example. As it currently stands, removing the SD card means no navigation.

Any ideas before I really balls it up beyond help?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techieboy, with your TT switched off, remove the SD card. When you next connect to TTHome and update your device it should detect that you don't have a map and offer to download one. As you have mentioned, the full map is too big for the internal memory so you shall be offered to choose a smaller Zoned Map. From memory you should choose North or West depending upon which other countries you wish to include.

When all the downloading is done, disconnect, switch off the TT and reinsert your SD card.

Switch the TT back on and connect to the computer. Install the SpeedCAmeras to the map on the SD card in the usual way. (or do this earlier with a card reader). Disconnect the TT again.

Restart the TT. You shall now have to "Switch Maps" from the TT's menu to use the map of your choice-
Smaller, internal without cameras. Larger, SD card with cameras.

If the above is just to evade the Gendarms, I think that all the furtive activity switching off, remove card, switch on, select a different map would be too obvious.

EDIT - Doh! I forgot the really important bit. Make a back up, before, during and after.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Techieboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
techieboy, with your TT switched off, remove the SD card. When you next connect to TTHome and update your device it should detect that you don't have a map and offer to download one. As you have mentioned, the full map is too big for the internal memory so you shall be offered to choose a smaller Zoned Map. From memory you should choose North or West depending upon which other countries you wish to include.

Thanks for the reply but no joy, I'm afraid. Tried that but home doesn't offer to download any maps, just the TT Speed Camera Euro POI's. Guess there's a flag of some form in the root of the internal memory that says that the map(s) are installed on an SD card and not to bother trying to download again until the card is re-inserted. Sad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in that case after you have made your back up of the TT, delete everything from it until it is blank then reconnect to TT Home, it should offer you the NavCore and a choice of map. Download to the TT, delete everything apart from the map. From your previous back up, copy back everything except the map. Make a back up.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: