Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No sound on my new tom tom 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No sound on my new tom tom 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LANE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: No sound on my new tom tom 520 Reply with quote

I took the plunge and subscribed and look forward to an uncomplicated download and future use..but ..guess what?.. NO!!!!!!! I have no audio on my Tom Tom 520 device at all... not even the audio books. I don't think this is coincidence judgung by the number of people it has happened to, even it it were 5 in 100, sorry too much to ask. I have checked everything, volume, mutes, bluetooth speaker settings, so what have I missed or messed?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a simple reset by using a pin/ paperclip in the reset hole on the base of the device? - this often cures little glitches such as this - Mike
LANE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you tried a simple reset by using a pin/ paperclip in the reset hole on the base of the device? - this often cures little glitches such as this - Mike

Yep, tried a reset from the menu and using the external one but to no avail. I even borrowed a 520 and copied all the files accross and that didn't work.(I had to keep the original map or the 520 would not accept it) I also checked - side by side - the contents of the two map files which appear identical.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you reset it with the reset switch on the base of the device and power it back up does the drum roll sound or not? - Mike
LANE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When you reset it with the reset switch on the base of the device and power it back up does the drum roll sound or not? - Mike

Yes the drum roll was there so was the audio book earlier now thats gone. I have put some headphones on the 520 and selected line out in the speaker preference section and I get sound here but when I remove them and return to internal speaker there is nothing even though the original drum roll is present on the internal speaker from reset.

Last edited by LANE on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to change preferences/ voice preferences/ change voice and select "Jane" from the list press the "Test" button do you hear anything?

Press "Back" and select "Kate" again press the "Test" button and do you hear anything? assuming it does play the test sound on the next page select all the checkboxes, on the second page of checkboxes make sure "Read aloud warnings" is selected, its up to you with the remainder.

Now does the device work? - Mike
LANE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Go to change preferences/ voice preferences/ change voice and select "Jane" from the list press the "Test" button do you hear anything?

Press "Back" and select "Kate" again press the "Test" button and do you hear anything? assuming it does play the test sound on the next page select all the checkboxes, on the second page of checkboxes make sure "Read aloud warnings" is selected, its up to you with the remainder.

Now does the device work? - Mike

Gone to that page but the 4 items that should be checked - "read aloud messages - traffic warnings - weather - and POI warnings are all "greyed" out and have the boxes checked but can't be activated via the screen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because you don't have a TTS computer voice selected - try all of the instructions in my previous post and report back what happens when you select each of the voices - you should get all selected with the Kate voice - Mike
LANE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Thats because you don't have a TTS computer voice selected - try all of the instructions in my previous post and report back what happens when you select each of the voices - you should get all selected with the Kate voice - Mike

You are right Mike.... Iv'e just proven how to make things mute on the borrowed 520 via - "speech preferences" But what's the point of this restrictive menu which went like --- I press the "Speach Preferences" the 520 shows " You have chosen to select a recorded human voice etc ... but if you want to come off that menu you can't because "continue" is the only option in town , which leads to a "greyed out" screen which in turn leads me to this forum. I Think voltage is a part of this because I don't seem to be able to come up with anything that can disable the sound in "speech preferences" when I have full voltage ..however simply going through the above with an almost finished battery gave these simptoms in both cases. ....BIG PS I have edited this reply after trying the battery voltage method and it appears if you have low voltage in the tom tom them kiss goodbye to audio first - - but then again it is based on a map.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I have missed it, or it's not practicable, but ... would it be possible to have a 'refine search' option - ie, got a list of results and want to cut it down more precisely?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Maybe I have missed it, or it's not practicable, but ... would it be possible to have a 'refine search' option - ie, got a list of results and want to cut it down more precisely?

What is this in relation to??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: No sound on my new tom tom 520 Reply with quote

LANE wrote:
I don't think this is coincidence judgung by the number of people it has happened to, even it it were 5 in 100, sorry too much to ask.

Eh? Can you point us to these reports?

It seems from further discussion that your issues are down to problems driving the menus and/or a problem with low battery volts, nothing to do with the speed camera database.
Total loss of sound when the battery is very low is not uncommon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: