Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I H8 Xmas!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I H8 Xmas!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: I H8 Xmas!! Reply with quote

It's Christmas, not Xmas and it's Hate, not H8, mate, not m8 and how do you know whether L O L means Load of Laughs, Laughing out Loud or Lots of Love? I always thought it meant Lots of Love until some Tigger started using it in posts addressed to me! So I hate all those stupid abbreviations and cute symbolic modes of communication. What's wrong with writing English these days?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
[rant]
I couldn't agree more.
Even ignoring l33t, or txt speak, don't you find it surprising how many post you have to read twice, or more, to understand? Trying to fight your way through a morass of missed punctuation (all missing, not just a dropped comma), misspellings and two many uses of the wrong spelling of a word.
[/rant]

Translation for those who don't speak English:

1 (0ULD|\|'7 49R33 /\/\0R3. 19|\|0R1|\|9 L337, 0R 7X7 5P34K, d0|\|'7 j00Z Ph1|\|D 17 5URPR151|\|9 |-|0\/\/ /\/\4|\|'/ p057 j00Z |-|4\/3 70 r34D 7\/\/1(3 70 U|\|D3R574|\|D? 7R'/1|\|9 70 Ph19|-|7 j00Z \/\/4'/ 7|-|R0U9|-| 4 /\/\0R455 0Ph /\/\1553D pU|\|(7U4710|\|, (4LL /\/\1551|\|9, |\|07 jU57 4 dR0PP3D (0/\/\/\/\4) /\/\155P3LL1|\|95 4|\|D 7\/\/0 /\/\4|\|'/ U535 0Ph 7|-|3 \/\/R0|\|9 5P3LL1|\|9 0Ph 4 \/\/0RD.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: I H8 Xmas!! Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It's Christmas, not Xmas and it's Hate, not H8, mate, not m8 and how do you know whether L O L means Load of Laughs, Laughing out Loud or Lots of Love? I always thought it meant Lots of Love until some Tigger started using it in posts addressed to me! So I hate all those stupid abbreviations and cute symbolic modes of communication. What's wrong with writing English these days?

im wiv u den but i also find that posts by peepl hoo dont capitalize punchuate ad a apostrofee to pluralize adn mak speeling mistaks ekwaly difi... hard to reed
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I H8 Xmas!! Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

im wiv u den but i also find that posts by peepl hoo dont capitalize [snip] ekwaly difi... hard to reed

that would be me then...?!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I H8 Xmas!! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

im wiv u den but i also find that posts by peepl hoo dont capitalize [snip] ekwaly difi... hard to reed

that would be me then...?!

naaaah y wood i pik on yous (Glad this is in the off topic area, ain't I. Very Happy )
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I read the other week that children who use "Text-speak" on their English examination papers, will not be marked down... Rolling Eyes

When I was at school, if we changed the colour of ink used in our exercise books, eg from black to blue, the page would be ripped out by our English teacher, the work rewritten in the correct colour and style of writing, and many lines... "I must not" ect, doled out during the ensuing detention.

Alan.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any offenders should have to spell out every word using the phonetic alphabet as punishment, eg

Mike Echo Romeo Romeo Yankee - Charlie Hotel Romeo India Sierra Tango Mike Alpha Sierra - Echo Victor Echo Romeo Yankee Bravo Oscar Delta Yankee

That ought to stop them Laughing
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think any offenders should have to spell out every word using the phonetic alphabet as punishment

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Alan.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
When I was at school.......

When I was at school, I had a project to write and I broke my wrist (during a school activity!!) so, I endeavoured to write it with my 'wrong' hand - only for it to be marked down by the teacher because my handwriting was untidy.

We even had spelling tests, but teachers are no longer allowed to correct spelling mistakes...oh, how things have changed (and not necessarily for the better)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I hate it, I can't condemn spelling and grammar mistakes - I was taught properly but not everyone who came along after me received the same. My grandson gets "Excellent" for his spelling tests - 10 to 20 words a week listed for him to learn to spell, in the test he gets them all right. BUT ask him to spell the list from three weeks ago and he fails, ask him the words in a different sequence from this week's list and he fails. Proper teaching like wot I got he don't not got! My daughter, forty years ago, was not corrected for spelling mistakes in essays. She was ahead of the rest of the class in maths until I discovered that it was "Teach Yourself Maths" and the judgement on your progress was the page number at which your book was open - she had learned nothing except how to read and turn pages!

But this text speak takes some effort to invent and use, so why not put the effort into learning to use our beautiful language correctly. Eskimos are reported to have lots of words for snow. We have a language which has many different ways of saying something, each time with a slightly different meaning, of which many people simply are not aware, because they no longer learn the words. Listen to Stephen Fry and Bernard Levin for a lesson in speaking English. Sloppy writing reflects sloppy speech too - I fear one of the next items to disappear from our language is the letter T in favour of some guttural representation. As for apostrophe S plurals, don't tempt me!

So now you have some small idea of what grumps you'll all be when you get to my age. Twisted Evil

Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cdnoult blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas toguhht sipeling was ipmorantt!

Happy Christmas Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
I cdnoult blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas toguhht sipeling was ipmorantt!

Happy Christmas Laughing

i actually found that easier to read than l33t (aka txt spk) - strange isn't it... the of the letters isn't important just so long as all the letters are there (unlike txt speak!)

MaFt
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As language regularly changes it's just something we have to get used to. Viva la difference I say Razz

My daughter sends dozens of text messages a day using text speak and therefore saves huge amounts of time. Arguably she'd save even more time if she didn't send any at all Smile Everyone that reads them understands them perfectly well.

She also sends business letters and emails, but these are all spellchecked (against the particular spelling of this period in time) and abbreviations are avoided. Most of her contemporaries would acknowledge that this is the correct thing to do - horses for courses.

When natives of North West Ireland say 'ye' in place of 'you' should I scold them for speaking traditional English? They sometimes even use 'ye' in its written form.

We also complain about the Americanisation of our English language, but I believe it is mostly the British version of English that has changed over the years whilst the American version has remained more constant.

...and should we reject accented spoken English as non-received pronunciation and therefore not valid? Does the formation of a sentence in a regional dialect demote it somehow and why would this be any different to the written word presented in the brogue of the area? I say that there is room for as many versions of language as possible.

Language is about the fashion of both the time and the region. It's evolved over the years from gobbledygook to an incredible sophistication and, in my opinion, will continue to do so.

That said, the electronic spell checker may stunt the progress of the written word as we are more likely to stick to the Microsoft version of the word rather than progress it through error or creativity Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still h8 xmas. So there!! Evil or Very Mad

RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah humbug! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: