Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has Navcore 8.300 wrecked your TomTom???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Navcore 8.300 wrecked your TomTom???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Navcore 8.300 messed up your TomTom - stuttering voices and slow map refresh??
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 118 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 165

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi AndyVaughan
Please forgive me for repeating myself, but I’m still one of those that are running trouble free with my 720. Not one stutter or lag on the refresh. I use the device every day and have travelled many miles since the updates. Yesterday I travelled as a passenger on a three hour journey and kept my eyes glued to the TomTom waiting for a fault to appear. It behaved perfectly as usual. I'm not bragging about this, I am just stating a fact.

So what’s the answer? What could cause two apparently identical devices to behave so differently? I must admit I have never used or even switched on IQ routing, never bothered with the FM and neither do I belong to the map share. But I do use it for navigating allot. I think Topgazza summed the whole saga up by saying ‘Its just one of life’s mysteries’.

What voice are you using?

Are you using a TTS (computer) voice?

If I use a standard voice I don't experience any stuttering at all, but the map refresh problem still exists.

As you said - it is a mystery!

Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing mp3's via Bluetooth while going round a roundabout seems to be one thing guaranteed to slow it all down.

I think everything you add to the processor load - TTS voices, FM, Bluetooth, IQ routes, Traffic etc. all have a cumulative effect.
Often it will still be OK until you get the 'last straw' of a complicated roundabout or junction.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 520 stutters a lot and the map refresh is a bit slow. This has all started with V8.3.

I have noticed the stutter is only when the charger is plugged in. When on battery there doesn't seem to be a problem. I thought perhaps the connection was dodgy but the link to the computer etc is fine.

I have the V8.3 app but have not updated the map to the one that gives 24/7 IQ routes. Too tight to spend the extra money for the same out of date map I already have. However the IQ routes are not as good as the ones it used to give before the App upgrade.

I have also upgraded to the latest Home version and can now "operate my go" from home BUT when entering a post code from HOME the computer keyboard doesn't work. It does work for entering addresses though. Is this a new bug, I can't tell because before the upgrade "operate my go" just crashed everything.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AndyVaughan
On the Nav 8.3 I have Tim giving directions and Kate giving camera warnings. No stutter or map lag.

As an experiment I am currently using the navcore_8.204.9718 meant for the Tomtom 940 and this also runs perfectly. I am using Kate exclusively on this navcore and I have given it a long journey with no problems at all.

I must stress that on both navcores I am not using any of the bells and whistles, just straight forward navigation.

Perhaps Andy_P is on the right lines when he hints that perhaps it’s the extra power used by FM, Bluetooth, IQ routes, Traffic etc. that are causing the problems.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor, where in the UK are you located as I am starting to think some of these issues are related to the IQ2 data, for example:
Monday I loaded up the 930 with a lot of connections using BT HiFi for music, Remote control etc and the device was terrible.
On the way home I used the 720 and again terrible performance.

This morning I used both devices and they were fine using the same route at the same time of day, but on the way home again they were terrible (10 seconds between screen updates and the stammer changed to something that simply couldn't be deciphered).

I am going to try a new combination of different software and TTS voices in the morning to see what that does to the devices even though the software is intended for the device its not really intended to be used unless you have the Work system - nothing to lose though - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mikealder
I live in a small village on the outskirts of Milton Keynes.

The way I see this saga is that it must be difficult for Tomtom to sort out a problem that doesn’t affect all users.

Although I do not suffer the problems experienced by some users I know how I would feel if my device suffered a lag while I was navigating a large roundabout with many exits. Quite unacceptable.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
knoxploration
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw in my two cents (although it's pretty obviously all of us affected, just a few folks aren't initially noticing the problems and then later having to change their vote) - yes, I'm affected too. Stuttering / laggy voices, laggy map update, laggy menu responses, etc.

Also had a couple of complete crashes, which on the previous firmware had basically stopped happening to me.

Should've known better than to upgrade. Sad
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 was on Navcore v8.3 and Western Europe v705 maps.

It is now upgraded to Navcore v8.3 and Western & Central Europe Maps v815.2003.

So far I've used it 5 times in my journeys in the last few days. I have noticed no slow downs. If anything, it is a bit faster than before! I kidd you not! Before I was getting 2 updates a second - now it's about 3 a second on average! Certainly seems a tad smoother even if only by a fraction!

I use a customised voice for standard directions, and Kate for the computer voice.
Home 2.7.3.1894
iainkirk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 520 with TMC running:

8.300 (9732/081030)
Map v815.2003
Kate Computer voice

FM option has disappeared for Voice

I have got the stammer!
mikeshe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same maps and app as Mojo on a refurb 720 from TotalPDA that I got as an Xmas pressie and it is as smooth as anything, no stuttering and no lagging screen refresh.

Used it the last couple of nights from Fawley near Southampton up around Ross on Wye, Hereford, Forest of Dean, Monmouth and Newport and everything was peachy.

The only problem I have is that my phonebook duplicated some entries and misses out others altogether. My phone is a Sony Ericsson 750i which is supposed to be compatible. I can't see a way of deleting single entries on the TT so may have to see if there is a way I can make a manual phonebook with Excel or something. Then the question rears it's head how would I install this into the TT?
mikeshe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the phonebook sorted now, edited the contacts file manually with notepad and now correct. I'm loving this TT Laughing
Continental_Drifter
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using 8.3 for only a short while on my GO920 with North America map 720.1803 and have not seen any problems. Pronunciation of names actually seems to have improved. Unlike Andy_P though I do not use anything except the navigation. No bluetooth, no FM etc.

I've waited in the past to upgrade firmware versions but it doesn't really seem to make much difference. It seems Tomtom has problems with every upgrade. Even so, I appreciate the fact that they do provide upgrades at no cost. Very Happy
Home: 2.5
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the IQ2 routing work in the States as I suspect a lot of the issues are linked to IQ2.

Andy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, works for certain areas in the States, mostly larger urban areas with more data feedback from consumers.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that is what makes the difference (as well as a different voice)

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: