Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has Navcore 8.300 wrecked your TomTom???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Navcore 8.300 wrecked your TomTom???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Navcore 8.300 messed up your TomTom - stuttering voices and slow map refresh??
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 118 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 165

sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I don't have a problem since 8.3, but is only half true. If I use the Tomtom on internal battery, which i generally do, I have no problem. If i connect to power supply in the car, then i get the stuttering with the computer voice Kate.
asperion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no refresh problems on a 520T but I have had stuttering voice syndrome.

First time I used it after the upgrade, there were no problems with stuttering but second time I hadn't even got past the end of the road before the stuttering started .... (this was with MP3 and Handsfree switched off ).

Prior to this upgrade, I had no problems with the unit.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AndyVaughan
When you mention ‘map refresh problems’ what exactly do you mean. I’m off on a long run tomorrow and I will perhaps find out for myself but I would like to know what to be aware of.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi AndyVaughan
When you mention ‘map refresh problems’ what exactly do you mean. I’m off on a long run tomorrow and I will perhaps find out for myself but I would like to know what to be aware of.

Normally when you are on route the map display updates a couple of times a second. What some users have experienced is that sometimes, and randomly, it can take a few seconds between updates. This means you can have actually taken a turning and the map display on the TT still shows you approaching the turning if you know what I mean.

At 70mph on the motorway I have gone under bridges etc and the TT has me yards before the bridge. If you set the map display to turn off above a certain speed you probably wouldn't notice it as much, but I have had instances where the TT is having me approaching a roundabout still and I have actually gone round and taken an exit!!

When you see it happen it is fairly obvious - a bit like losing the satellite fix for a brief period and the device having to recalculate where you are when it locks back on.

Andy
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refresh rate on my 520 has taken a downturn and particularly noticeable when zooming in at junctions/turns. I also now have regular cycles of connection loss and reconnection with my phone via bluetooth - only solved temporarily with a reset. I never had this before: always had perfect and consistent connectivity with my SE before this update.

And I know I shouldn't mention the loss of the FM directions transmission, as this was purposeful (though still a mighty muck up in my book, whatever the justification).
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AndyVaughan
Yes, nasty. It could be very inconvenient under certain circumstances and after tomorrow I will see for myself. The puzzling thing is (according to the forums) that it doesn’t seem to affect everyone. However, its certainly something that Tomtom should investigate and rectify as soon as possible.
Surely they test these releases. It must cost them an awful amount of money to bring out the software, yet they fail to recognise a major error that the punters have managed to find within twenty four hours.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 is working normally since upgrading to the latest maps and application.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 520 I have absolutely no problems with v8.2 and 8.15. No stuttering with Kate and no map refresh problems. With v8.3 software 8.15 map and Kate v7 I have occasional stuttering and constant map refresh and lag problems.

I am sure that some people who haven't tried v8.2 don't know they have map refresh or lag problems. Can you for instance go around a roundabout and select the correct exit by looking at the display. I find it easy with 8.2 but next to impossible with 8.3.

I use bluetooth handsfree which works perfectly with 8.2 but is unusable with 8.3. I don't play MP3s, use FM out or GPRS. GPRS in fact will not work with this combination.

I can't see me moving away from v8.2/8.15 anytime soon even if TomTom release an update to v8.3 . YMMV of course.

The only minor problem I have is that the light sensor doesn't work.
lesbsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go720 running 8.30 and map WE815 for a couple of weeks now. I had the stuttering and so followed the advice and installed v7 Kate which cured it. The refresh rate was slower than previous so I turned off the display of all POIs and it is better although not as good as it used to be. I have noticed that the reality view of major junctions appears earlier than it used to which is a plus point.

I agree with the comments in other threads which point at the low memory being the problem. When you peform a reset the free memory goes up but as you use the device it seems to gradually reduce until you next perform a reset. If you rarely reset or connect to Home (which seems to reset the device when you disconnect) then maybe your free memory stays low and you have more problems? Just a thought!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious as to why this is just affecting x20 users rather than x30 as I have seen posted many times that they are identical units when they have the same software build and maps.

Are they identical, or is there an internal difference or is 8.3 Navcore different for the x20 & x30?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Are they identical, or is there an internal difference or is 8.3 Navcore different for the x20 & x30?
The x20 software is different to the x30 software, when TomTom Home downloads the updates it gets x20 Navcore from a different download URL than it uses for the x30 devices. I havent spent any time comparing the Navcore updates to see what (if anything) is different between the two downloads.
Also the version of LoquendoTTS files installed to some x20 units will differ to those supplied with the x30 devices - Mike
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded to the latest Western Europe maps & the TTS stutter has started, it's not too bad when Kate has to read a street name at say 30MPH but it gets worse as the car speed reduces & she has to read out the exit & road number. e.g at a roundabout etc.
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 720 running 8.3 and 815 maps.

I use the hands free (works now but didn't when new) and TomTom traffic.

The routes are better (my chosen route to London now comes up as the fastest: down the M1, not the M6 as it used to)

The refresh seems to me to be slower than when I first got the 720, but is tolerable.

I have not heard the dreaded stutter.

I don't like the small icon for the compass.

The fix for the button press time now has me back to the original One, where it is too easy to catch the button and switch the unit on when putting it away.

Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a computer (TTS) voice or a standard one?

Andy
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on a long run today as a passenger and as I was not driving I was able to keep my eye on the ‘Go 720’ and look for glitches. I really kept a critical eye on the device at large roundabouts and other important places but the refresh rate remained as it always had been, good.
Why should mine remain ok yet other users suffer? After all, they should all be the same. Most curious.
I did not suffer from the stuttering effect, but I was using Tim and not Kate.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: