Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
...and I'm not suggesting that. That implies that TomTom put the customer first ....in any issue.....and that has never been the case. They are the opposite of that.

I'm no TomTom apologist, far from it but lets give them some due here. They are the only manufacturer who has by and large provided ongoing updates and feature improvements to their customers FOC and continuous availability of new map data for purchase should you wish to update.

There are many others that just abandon their older devices as they are superseded, no maps, no updates zip! Even Garmin who do provide bug fixes rarely add features to older devices.

So yes TomTom have a bad press but it is largely because they have been so successful and have commanded a huge proportion of the market, people say 'TomTom' now when referring to GPS in much the same way as we say 'Hoover' when we mean Vacuum cleaner. As such they get many more posts than other brands and consequently more complaints but that does not make them proportionally worse than any others.
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:

Or going by your view take poison and die an agonisng well deserved death Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Out Loud! I hope my view doesn't come over that harsh, It's not meant to. I just think this particular situation isn't TT's fault (as with my example posted above), so I don't see why should it cost them to rectify it.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and I do agree with you but I think there is an opportunity for TT to recover some good will at little cost. As I say they could request that people wishing reloads of their maps subscribe for a year to the latest map programme. If thats the solution anyway then I'd do it even if they didn't ask but if they made it mandatory I don't thnk many would objecy to paying£32 over a year for getting your maps replaced and then kept current. Sounds a good deal to me. Other than that the poison option is still available...

Darren...the only reason I have been banging on about it is because setting up, configuring and doing business analysis on datacentres...large or small...is what I do for a living.

TT already have all their customer records and all copies of maps old and new. The space to store these is small and very very cheap anyway. They already automate the links between someone logging on and what they have downloaded. Its already there. No increase in storage required that is relevant. Bandwidth is only an issue for those downloading...they would be slow if lots were doing it...but again, no different then now anyway. I don't believe the number of people re-downloading (is that a word ?) maps would increase that much. But yes...there would have to be a sensible restriction. But to avoid the lazy..Its simple ...you give people a one strike policy for a re-download...combined with a backup warning then thats it. I'm not suggesting they store millions of maps...just one of each back to a given date. They could also packet shape and limit the servers and if, say 150 people were downloading then block any others...priority given to those on subscription or new users getting updates.

Blimey...just spent a day discussing this with a well known Government department..am I getting overtime here?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Blimey...just spent a day discussing this with a well known Government department..am I getting overtime here?

Ah well, give it another 3000 days and they'll be about ready to draw up a specification document Wink
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...as you say...its a painful process populated by dozens of people who just will not make a decision....

I didn't mean to get all heavy with the Tom Tom thing...its been a long couple of days.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: