Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept that its on the owners head to back up the maps, but TomTom don't really make it known that this has to be / should be done, and to then make things worse they give Home backup and restore that has inherent problems. There must be hundreds of people out there that have done a backup only to find that when it’s required to do a reinstall its not worth the CD it’s copied to. I see no reason why TT can't stick a warning sticker over the screen so that new users are informed of an important necessity.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing up the maps isn't something you have to do, unless you actually remove them from the device. At that point, you've pretty much taken it upon yourself to be responsible.
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Backing up the maps isn't something you have to do, unless you actually remove them from the device. At that point, you've pretty much taken it upon yourself to be responsible.

It is when you are doing a map update, as I was some weeks ago, Home through a wobbler half way through an update, trashed my working version on my 920 and wouldn't then load the update before it could see the version it had just trashed Confused
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Backing up the maps isn't something you have to do, unless you actually remove them from the device.

Most would say a full backup is essential from day one.

Almost every day in some thread or other advice is given to create a full backup through Windows explorer. Many instances of file corruption or deletion have been discussed, and the restoration of the backup is the only free solution.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sensible companies...so TomTom excluded then....either allow you to download the software again on proof of purchase...as in original receipt or email receipt. Some charge a small fee for the same service.

As the TT software is locked to a single device not allowing repeated downloads seems churlish at best. Its not as though it can be pirated onto another device so just charge a fee..say £15...for each repeat download with advice to back it up. In these days of "Home" I just don't see the problem. Although because this particular device is old it doesn't use Home ? If it did use Home wouldn't TomTom automatically update the maps when it saw there was a map missing ?

Its a pointless, petty policy.....but it is their policy however illogical and irrational it is.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Sorry ... Reply with quote

The OP admits to having an issue with maps in the past, so is obviously not new to satnavs and should therefore be familiar with the need to back up before deleting anything. he has access to a computer, so what's the problem with saving a copy of the device to the hard drive? a coupla gigs (max) is all that's needed.

Sorry, but I fail to see how TT can be held accountable for someone else's itchy trigger finger.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they can't but they should allow at least one repeat download in case of "accidents"...it doesn't cost them anything and provided its given with a large warning about doing a backup.

Its no excuse though as they should provide a CD of the software, its their choice not to, in any case if its so "vulnerable"....or......put a huge great sticker on everything telling people to back up before using. Not sure if it tells people that a prerequisite of buying and using the device is to have "X" amount of disk space to back up the software. Until they do that and make it a condition of purchase they should provide a free download or CD

Its called good customer relations..................................oh!

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote TomTom Home:

"One of the most important things you can do with TomTom HOME is make a backup of all the contents of your TomTom device. If you ever have a problem with your TomTom device, you can restore the backup. It's a good idea to make a backup regularly."

Perhaps as TomTom have a record of the maps purchased they should allow those who have deleted them to buy a new map or a subscription to the map update service at the current offer price depending on how old the lost map is.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would seem a reasonable compromise. I guess the OP could subscribe to the current quaterly update and get his maps restored updated that way which should reinstall the US maps ?

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course they can't but they should allow at least one repeat download in case of "accidents"...it doesn't cost them anything

Apart from the Server costs, maintenance, bandwidth, electricity, support staff etc etc.... But apart from that all totally free.

Quote:
Its no excuse though as they should provide a CD of the software, its their choice not to, in any case if its so "vulnerable".

But the OP deliberately deleted the map! Perhaps Ford should supply me a spare bumper for my car in case i decide to rip it off and throw it away?

Quote:
put a huge great sticker on everything telling people to back up before using.

The Home software can do this. Not sure how well it's pushed towards the user but it's there. It's also one of the most commonly uttered phrases here, although the advise is the use Windows Explorer instead. Garmin don't even tell you any of this or provide a CD / DVD or a facility like Home at all.

Quote:
Not sure if it tells people that a prerequisite of buying and using the device is to have "X" amount of disk space to back up the software. Until they do that and make it a condition of purchase they should provide a free download or CD

Which adds to costs, which will add to the price, which people don't want.....
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, regardless of whether the original map should, or should not be made available for his 910, it will be out of date, and the latest map will be more useful!
GO 920 Dead
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul...

The overheads for the servers etc etc are there anyway...makes no difference to the issue...bandwidth isn't an issue either as I'm not suggesting a free for all. They would only need to allow a free refresh...once. The fact that Garmin'spolicy is even worse is a reflection on the industry not the public.

The OP deleting the map is daft I agree...but again.....thats not the point. Its not a bumper....its a piece of software that you can't touch and hold.....they should issue a CD...then that arguement would be relevent.

It would add next to nothing to Tom Tom costs...for the same reason as my first point. CD ? 5p... Tom Tom....£200.05p

Look, I'm not disagreeing with your overiding principal, which is key anyway...the OP...and everyone should back their device up...no argument there ...but TT could "afford" to be a bit more flexible. But as before...this is Tom Tom....

Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the "they should provide a CD" perspective either! most software\hardware houses no longer provide hard copies of software! and if they do - you pay more for the privelage.

Server costs would also increase because of the tens of thousands of folk that do the same thing as the OP, that is; delete without thinking through the consequences of what they're doing.

As a former cable\broadband installer I have witnessed the ineptitude of customers making a hash of their system within a week of getting online, then blaming the company and demanding we come fix what they themselves broke. If you start pandering to those kinds of people, you never stop because they tell their friends what they got for free.

Telewest had to merge with NTL because of placing the emphasis on customer service. It doesn't pay to keep folk happy at all costs.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I'm not suggesting that. That implies that TomTom put the customer first ....in any issue.....and that has never been the case. They are the opposite of that. I'm sure they could "hide" the cost of a CD in the price of the unit without going bust.

In any case the whole principle of any supplier /customer relationship IS to cater for the hard of thinking. To a point I'll agree but making the assumption that all SAt NAv buyers are computer savvy would be arrogant. Many a company has gone bust on that principle and if they have a rubbish business model that deosn't cater for the "Dimmo" effect then tough luck.

We'll just have to agree to differ but I still think the OPs best bet is to subscribe to the update program and be done with it.

Or going by your view take poison and die an agonisng well deserved death Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Paul...

The overheads for the servers etc etc are there anyway...makes no difference to the issue...bandwidth isn't an issue either as I'm not suggesting a free for all. They would only need to allow a free refresh...once. The fact that Garmin'spolicy is even worse is a reflection on the industry not the public.

I understand your view but it's way too simplistic. The costs involved in maintaining records to enable this, and the download system are considerable. They have enough issues with catering for users downloading new maps let alone archiving maps for customers in this fashion. Where do you draw the line? They'd have to maintain versions of every map offered so that you got the version you bought your device with. I'd be surprised if they had such information currently, the devices will be built with whatever the latest map is at time of production but this would mean little more than an arbitrary range of serial numbers could be 'assumed' to have map x.xx.

It is reasonable to assume that anyone comfortable enough with the process of choosing to and then deleting the map in this fashion should also be au fait with the need to backup first.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: