Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - night mode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

night mode
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leenig1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: night mode Reply with quote

Hi Ive checked the box to have my TT740 switch to night mode when dark. For some reason the unit is not changing to night/dark mode.

Any ideas how to correct this issue please?
Lee
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be connected to the car dock in order for this to work - Mike
leenig1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply - the 740 was in the car mount. Night mode works if I choose this option manually but appears not to go into night mode when set to do so automatically

Lee
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leenig1 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply - the 740 was in the car mount. Night mode works if I choose this option manually but appears not to go into night mode when set to do so automatically

Lee

I haven't got the automatic switching working properly on my 720 either and have disabled it. I'd say it's the light sensor that doesn't work or the threshold value for switching between day and night mode is set wrong in the TomTom firmware.

But you can easily set up a shortcut button for changing between day and night mode so I don't think it's a big deal.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I agree with Mike's statement that the feature is only working when the device is connected to a car dock. For me it's working even stand-alone, it's just that I'm not happy with the threshold value used for the switching
leenig1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What concerns me is even if I place my finger over the light sensor so the unit thinks its completely dark the unit still fails to go into night mode.

Thanks for pointing out you can manually switch between day and night mode - this method works without any issue.

Lee
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leenig1 wrote:
What concerns me is even if I place my finger over the light sensor so the unit thinks its completely dark the unit still fails to go into night mode.

Are you sure you're putting you're putting your finger at the right spot? Question
The sensor is located on the top right hand side of your screen. If it doesn't go to night mode when you put your finger here with automatic shifting enabled, then I'd say the light sensor is faulty in your device.
leenig1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my finger is on the right spot Smile

Last night the room was completely dark, and no auto switch to night mode.

I hope the unit is not faulty - if it is, does this mean I will have to return to Tom tom and be without unit for a couple of weeks? (I purchased my unit from tom tom direct)

I was wondering if anyone else here with a 740 suffers from the same issue?

Lee
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you my 940 needed to be on the car mount for this to work, I will look into this again with the latest software on the device. How long did you leave the device with the light sensor covered up, the unit takes quite a while to respond to light level changes to avoid nuisance switching - Mike
leenig1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove home last night from oxford to Marylebone High Street and the unit failed to go into night mode - so a good hours drive

I will leave in the unit in the car mount and cover so there's no light seen by the unit sensor and report back later

Lee
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem on my 540 too. It does go into night view most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. It seems to coincide with it having been connected to the PC. Strange.

You do have to have it on the car mount too. Usefully TomTom don't mention this is their documentation!
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy1 wrote:

You do have to have it on the car mount too. Usefully TomTom don't mention this is their documentation!

This must be something TomTom have added in the x40 SW. Strange! Confused
When I have time I will install the 8.204 940 SW on my 720 to see if that software has the same behaviour as you're describing.
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is related but the other night I was in town (small town) with overhead street lights and it was in day mode while I was driving out of town to the country I happend to look at the screen as we were aproching the last light post and the map was in night mode beyond the last light and still in day mode where I was.
Shore enought when I past that light it switched to night mode screen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not unique to the x40 the older x10 series did the same thing, unless they were on the car dock the screen brightness wouldn't vary - Mike
leenig1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have placed the unit in the car mount and and set a route - covered the light sensor and its now switching across to night mode - strange it would not change mode last night and was in the car mount.

I will monitor the issue over the next few days

I think Mike is correct the mode does not change unless the unit is in the car mount. Why is this Mike?

Lee
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leenig1 wrote:
I think Mike is correct the mode does not change unless the unit is in the car mount. Why is this Mike?

Lee, I cannot answer that as I didn't design the device! but as a pure guess the day/ night sensor is wired through the mount to enable the car headlights to be wired to the device to switch the unit day/ night in sync with the headlights - some of the earlier models could do this, it also prevents lighting mode changes when using the device in the house.

I am not too sure if such a capbility will ever be offered for the x40 in way of another mount as I said a pure guess - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: