Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One user buys a Garmin Nuvi 265WT, then a Nuvi 765T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One user buys a Garmin Nuvi 265WT, then a Nuvi 765T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: TomTom One user buys a Garmin Nuvi 265WT, then a Nuvi 765T Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
just joined this great website, really great to have all this info Very Happy

well, yesterday i had 2 Sat Nav units running while i was out delivering all over Central London, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire in me big white Van i must have looked a right numpty, Laughing Out Loud
had my shiny NEW Garmin Nuvi 265WT running, and my work supplied TomTom Go 520 which is pretty cool...... i also own a TomTom Europe Version 2 with all latest updates, speed cameras, traffic and maps etc.... have just sold that to my Brother for £80 and he is well happy since coming from a really old Navman which was bloody awful!
took forever to find satellites and the maps were rubbish on it.

anyway, my thoughts on the Garmin? absolutely brilliant!!
im really pleased with it, did have me worried quite a bit before i figured out how to use it! the places of interest are better than TomTom with much more of these pre-installed on it, voice clarity is much better, though i did notice some distortion at 90% volume coming from the speaker, is this normal? or is mine faulty? im not sure if it is the speaker itself, or the plastic surrounding it?
..... didnt get this on the tomtom, though its not quite as clear as the Garmin, a bit muffly i think personally

i didnt notice much different in the routes on both machines, what i really miss on the Garmin is the amount of things on the screen which you get on the tomtom when your on your way to a destination, you can however get to this info by pressing another button on it, so nothing lost there..
i also preferred the screen on the Garmin, though i still think the tomtom is a better looking machine....

i subscribed to a years worth of speed camera destinations for £30 on the Garmin Website and downloaded all the updates for it last night, including a new set of vehicle icons which are great fun, i then joined this website and realised i could have gotten all the speed cameras from here and more, doh!!!
so i paid my £20 and downloaded the Pocket GPS speed camera database and installed that aswell, will that be ok to do that? or will i have too many speed camera sights with the official Garmin ones installed which may confuse the unit itself?
sorry to appear stupid but im a bit new to all this technology malarky Shocked
one thing with the Garmin is that your stuck with a plain white background and then a pink coloured road as you proceed on your planned route, can i have different colours? if so... how? can someone let me know how to do it? as you know, with TomTom you can change to different colours, i kind of miss that feature but its not essential as Map Accuracy is more what im looking for....
there is a lot of debate about whose maps are more accurate, what do you guys think? have i made the right choice and are Garmin more accurate?

oh, forgot to say, my biggest moan on the Garmin is that you cant do advanced planning from one place to another and see all the details of this journey as you can on ALL TomTom units! i think i will miss this feature quite a bit travelling round UK, Ireland and Europe with my Rock Band, or can i do i this and if so how? have i missed how to do this exactly?not forgetting all the celebrity voices you can get for the TomTom, none of which are available for the Garmin Units, or are they?....not really needed but great fun if not a bit gimmicky.
another Question is that when your using your unit and the battery becomes low and tells you on the screen, why is it that when you plug a mains charger into it, you can then NOT carry on using it and put your favourite places in or change settings on it or anything else?
or you get is the word "GARMIN" and a picture below this of a charger.........it doesnt do this when in the car with the provided cigarette lighter charger
i am using a Mains charger that i bought from Ebay yesterday, thoughts?
do i have to buy an Original Garmin Mains Charger or will the Ebay one be ok? i bought it because it was a 3rd of the price!
if your after a new Sat Nav, go with the Garmin, you wont regret it! im well pleased Laughing

Cheers !

Last edited by Waynesters on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick reply - on my way out...

Quote:
my biggest moan on the Garmin is that you cant do advanced planning from one place to another and see all the details of this journey as you can on ALL TomTom units!

Yes you can. Turn on the GPS simulator in the Tools, Settings, System menu.

Once you have done this follow the normal steps as if you are going to set a route to somewhere but use your starting point. Then choose Show Map. You should have an option to Set Location. Then you can choose an end destination in the same way but choose Go instead. It'll calculate the route and offer to simulate it. You can watch this or say No and then check the route by viewing the Map screen and tapping the green next turn bar at the tip of the screen. Tap a direction and you should get a split screen with directions and a map of each turn.

With regards to the Speed Cameras i would disable the Garmin Cameras (Tools, Proximity Points) as you'll get duplciate alerts, although it's up to you.

You can't change the screen colours sadly.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from HALFORDS

i took my Nuvi 265WT back, the distorting speak was doing my head in!!

i paid an extra £100 and got the Nuvi 765T instead!
i guess this is a much much better unit?

Halfords are sending my old 265WT back as Faulty, whether it is or not i dont know? maybe they all distort at high volumes?

now i got to do all the re-installing again, Grrrrrrrrr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: