Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Live - No service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Live - No service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeDStoke wrote:
I a nutshell you have to stay as anonymous until the trial period is over
If that is the case then how are you going to use the Buddies feature? - I know not everyone uses this service but it needs a log in to work - Mike
MikeDStoke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MikeDStoke wrote:
If that is the case then how are you going to use the Buddies feature? - I know not everyone uses this service but it needs a log in to work - Mike

Fortunately I do not need this service .. but may be a problem for others
FearandLoathing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: LIVE trial period = no personal account?? Reply with quote

I have just recently invested in 740 LIVE, and have also been unable to connect to LIVE services while logged on using my TomTom live account username. However I did get all the various updates, (incl the free map update), MapShare updates, fuel sites etc etc, plus couple of voices.

On reading the above thread, I selected the "Reset to Factory Default", and that put my Username as displayed on the 740 back to "anonymous". Using the 740 undocked, I did not get any further in accessing the LIVE service. Sad "Error code 148" is displayed beneath the notification "Cannot connect to TomTom LIVE services - Please try again later". Mad That error message comes up immediately I select one the TomTom Services - Weather, Buddies, Traffic, and on entering a Google search. The error notification also comes up immediately I select the "My Services" button. All the above also occurs with the 740 docked but with the selection "NO" connection to the PC.

Next I turn the 740 and on again (while still docked) and then make the "YES" selection for connection to the PC. I choose to "Operate my Go" throught the TT Home software. I click on the TT Services icon, then on TT Weather and Lo!!! after a short (3-4 secs) the 5-day weather appears. Also the QuickGPS thing connects to the TT server ok!! However clicking on Buddies, or on Traffic, or entering a Google Search term brings up a screen telling asking me to log into my TT account, and asking if I already have one. I do have a TT account, so I click on YES. I enter my username and password (same as those I set up my TT account with through TT Home initially), and the software flashes a message for about 3 secs that its connecting to TT server. It however fails, and I get "An error occurred on the TT Server - Please try again".

So what does all this mean? Not entirely sure, but what about:
1) Setting up a TT Account allows you to download all the various update goodies that are promised, including the MapShare updates.
2)Using the 740 docked and connected gives access to SOME of the services bundled with LIVE after its been reset to Factory Default and with "anonymous" as the username displayed on the 740
3)Using the 740 undocked and Factory reset as above you dont even get pass GO (if you forgive the pun) - nothing under TT Services is accessible (apart from Fuel data that is stored on the GO)

Leaving aside the confusing TT account login aspect, this behaviour seems to suggest that the built in SIM card is doing nothing. Somehow, when the 740 is connected to the internet via my PC, it manages to get some of the LIVE services, without first asking me to log in, and when "Anonymous" username is displayed on the 740.

Anyone else have similar chaotic experience...?

F&L

PS - lovely bit of kit though!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sure the sim is actually working try the following:
Tap the sat strength meter Lower right corner of the screen, next tap the version box on the right this should bring up a screen full of details about your device, at the bottom of this scereen is a button labeled "Network" press this and it will show you the modem status.

Make a note of the MCC/MNC, SIM ID, IMEI and model numbers then contact TomTom support, they will also need the device serial number which is on the base of the device, the support phone number is 0845 161 0009 or try by e-mail - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that when checking your network details you must do this when not connected to Home. Home emulates a SIM, a Dutch one, so you cannot use the UK Live services on a UK account when connected to Home.

I believe there may be an issue where people first use the Live Services when connected to Home and this messes up their account settings on the TT servers.

I suggest that you totally reset your Go and turn it off. Create a new account on TomTom from within Home with the Go turned off. Turn the Go on (not connected to Home) and enter your new account details into it from the TomTom. It may or may not work at this stage on Live Services.

In Home log on to your new account and then connect the Go to it. It should ask if you want to associate the Go with this account and you should select yes. You may get an error message along the lines of the device cannot be registered again and if this happens you need to contact TomTom support to have your registration reset.

Do NOT try and use the "Operate My Go" from within Home before you have it working on Live Services. I believe this causes some of the problems but other disagreee with me on this, but you cannot cause a problem by ignoring this function until everything is working.

Disconnect the Go and it should start and the live services should work.

If they do not work after this, you either have an account issue with your unit and TomTom or a fault in the unit/SIM.
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem - I bought a 940 Live a couple of weeks ago, set it up.. connected to home, updated the application, set up buddies etc etc..
Couldn't get Live services to work straight from the off - mixture of error codes 2031 and 1008 (Cannot work abroad or in areas of no coverage, and this content bought for another device, Live Services requires valid subscription - yours may have expired etc)

Spent over a week going through things with support, only for them to suggest taking it back and getting a new one.. did that, booted up without connecting to home first, traffic worked, cameras worked, everything worked.. as far as I could see..
Connected to home, updated application, still worked.. still says I have a valid traffic subscription etc.. very happy bunny...
Then yesterday, I realised I needed to set buddies up again (I don't need the service, but interested to see if my mates were using it...)

Went out to do a job last night, only to find it wouldn't connect to traffic, leaving me in 45 minutes of traffic hell with no traffic update.. no safety camera alert for the camera up the road, and clicking the Safety Cameras button in the Live services menu results in "You need to connect to home for this service". Great.. I'm out with no access to the laptop.

So I get home after work, hook it up to the laptop, check updates and it's telling me I've got to pay £7.99 for Live Services...

It's also lost my Map Update service as well... that I paid £79 for just over a month ago.

NOT a happy bunny.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot download static cameras on the unit, only from Home, that is intentional and it is explained in the manual. You can update mobile cameras directly from the unit.

I am not sure how you can have lost the map update service for the unit a month ago as on the x40 series it has only been an option since Home 2.5 around a week ago and the only one map upgrade available would have been covered by the latest map guarantee

Home offers you the subscription to Live Services for £7.99 and states that they will start at the end of the three month free period but the money will be debited now.

I still believe (I may be wrong) that many of the Live problems are caused by initially setting up the Live Services from within Home where it registers the Live Services through the emulated Dutch SIM rather than the real UK SIM so when you try to use the real SIM outside of Home it denies access as it expects the account on another SIM.
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 910 originally, and bought the map upgrade option on October 23rd for that... so the Map Update subscription still has around 11 months left, and should be valid for the 940 device, as it's linked to the same account... I know the 940 is covered by the latest map guarantee for the first 30 days, but when this unit was working, it was offering me the latest map as a free download through the add maps option in home..
Now it's telling me I've got to pay for it.

Likewise, trying to update static cameras - I've never been told before when updating static cameras that it has to be via home - I'm certain I've done it on the road a couple of times, and I've never seen that message until yesterday... and I'm not even getting to the screen where I choose between static or mobile! As soon as I choose Safety Cameras, it says "You can join this service and download safety camera locations to your device using TomTom Home".. I've never seen that screen before.

I also don't believe this problem is anything caused by connecting the device to HOME and setting Live service via that - my device was working fine for a couple of days, even yesterday morning...
Yesterday, I didn't connect it to home - I configured buddies - which required me to enter my tomtom account details.
The "Live Services" username switched from Anonymous to my email address, and THAT was the last I used it, until last night.. so configuring live services via Home did not cause my problem - using the Buddies option did...

I've reset to factory settings so I've still got Anonymous as the user name now, and all the services tell me my subscription is valid until end of Feb 2009 - but HD Traffic can't connect to the server (Update - it didn't 10 minutes ago, it just has now), Fuel prices works, weather works, Buddies doesn't work (can't use abroad apparently), and safety cameras don't work), and my map update still doesn't seem to apply to this device...
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem may be that you can only have one device per account, I have no idea why but mutliple devices do not work. Try creating a new account for your 940.

I did not know that you could transfer the map update service from one device to another.
junction10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the map update service applies to the account, not the device (that's what support told me anyway).

You can only have one device allocated to an account (although same device can be allocated to many accounts apparently) - but quite recently, they had a Device Code problem which locked my 910 out of the account after 18 months of happy usage.. when I tried to relink it, Home was telling me I could only change my linked device once every six months, even though I hadn't changed for 18 months!
So had to get them to reset that so I could update the map, as I wanted to sell the 910 to make way for my 940, then to reset it again so I could link my new 940 to the account so I could continue using my map update subscription.

and that was working just lovely until I decided to use the Buddies feature yesterday.... Sad
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you good people with x20/x30's that get traffic via GPRS, experienced something similar to those I have, which started about 3pm yesterday.

When my 920 attempts to connect to traffic services or when updating the traffic, it will come back with a screen with red background and a message similar to 'cannot connect to server and HD services!). Unfortunately, each time it has happened, I needed the navigation screen so had to clear it.

It has happened 3 times now, then it clears itself when I update manually or reboot. I have been updating traffic and rebooting my device in an attempt to repeat the problem, so I can take a screen shot, but so far my 920 is behaving extremely well!
GO 920 Dead
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeDStoke wrote:
matthewj wrote:
I've been through this loop just yesterday. In essence, you have to do a restore to factory settings to get the trial working again. Then, don't enter your tomtom account on the device. It will work fine, until you enter the account.

Just had a reply back from 2nd level support that I should not log into my account on the device as this then triggers it to test for a paid subscription on the account ... since this is a trial subscription these details will not be on the account so you lose the service.

Does anyone know if buying a subscription to HD Traffic during the trial period which TTHome assures us will start after the initial free 3 months, cures this requirement to remain 'Anonymous' until the initial 3 months is over??
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The having to stay anonymous is a most likely a fault with the account settings on the TT Server. When you log on to this faulty account it will not let you have the service as this account thinks you should not have it.

Try and create a totally new account in Home (see my last paragraph if you do not want to change your email address) and don't try and set up the unit through "Operate My Go" in Home as you device needs to set up the services over its SIM and NOT the PC connection. I am sure this causes many of the problems as this is what happened with my first unit before it totally failed.

Manually enter your new account into the unit whilst not connected to the PC. The services identity the SIM, where you are using it, and allow access based on this.

Not being able to use the account is a problem that some people have. Mine works as expected and so should yours, having to remain anonymous is not correct,

I would guess that with a faulty account buying another months service will not be of benefit and may result in many calls to TomTom to sort it out. Then again it could solve the problem but start billing from today. You may be willing to gamble the £7 to see if it gets you out of the hole and sort out any admin issues later.

I took the plunge and it extended my working services beyond the end of the trial date.

If your existing account name is important to you and as you can only have one device working per account name, you can change the email address to something else on the existing account through the TomTom website and then create a new account using your current email address. I did this for my TT6 account with Traffic which I can still use and use my main email address for the Go940.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
Have any of you good people with x20/x30's that get traffic via GPRS, experienced something similar to those I have, which started about 3pm yesterday.

Yes there have been a few similar issues on my wifes 530 earlier in the week which I put down to problems on the TT Servers. It has not happened again.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T., I'll give it a go shortly and report back. thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: