Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - General Tom Tom questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

General Tom Tom questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triple-GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: General Tom Tom questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

This really is a gold mine of information.....so useful when deciding what to purchase. I am thinking of TT3 with probably a third party BT reciever after reading the comments about the TT BT reciever.

Q1. Are there any handheld GPS's (with LCD display) out there which also feature Bluetooth? This would give the best of both worlds - but probably at a price.

Q2. Is it possible for TT to just show where you are on a map? By this I mean do you always have to program in a route from A to B or can you just plug in, drive, and have a real time moving map of where you are?

Q3. What scale can you zoom out to on map the display and what level of detail do you get once zoomed out? i.e. town, junction numbers, road numbers etc

Q4. If it is possible to zoom out to a real time display, does the map orietate itself to North or the direction you are going? A friends Mercedes orientates to North (the map not the car!) and your position moves across/up/down the screen until it reaches the edge then the map moves. I think it would be more useful if your position stayed central and the "world" revolved around you - so to speak.

Q5. I have an IPAQ 5550 and have read that the speaker can be a bit feeble for hearing commands. Anybody confirm this? I've seen one holder with a built in speaker - seems a bit brick like. Again anybody any solutions or comments.

Thx in advance.

3GPS. Thumbs Up
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. Yes the Fortuna GPS Smart. I’m not sure how good it is though.

2. No you don’t need to set a route, you can “Turn Guidance OFF”.

3. You can scale from the whole country to actual street and any way in-between to your own preference. In Map view you’ll get road names and numbers, in Navigator view you may in TTNav3, but you don’t in TTNav2.

4. In Map view, you’ll always have “North up”. In Navigator view you get “Head up” i.e. top of the view is the direction that you’re travelling in.

5. I’ve also heard that the iPAQ 5550 has poor sound. Have a look through the rest of the site for ideas (powered mounts, miniature speakers, etc.).

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Triple-GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! Just read about the Fortuna Smart - think I'll just stick with the Clip-on as it seems to have very good reviews.

More research now for speakers!

3GPS Smile
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3GPS

As a TT3 user I shall add to what Robert says a little if I may?

1) Dunno , but Roberts has covered that one (Both Robert and I use the Fortuna Clip On which is an excellent piece of kit.

2) As he says turn off guidance and you do indeed have a moving map display, which I sometimes use when I know where I am going for the good and simple reason that the POI's still work (Ok for that, read speed camera warning!)

3) Yes you can zoom in and out, for some rason however I have not taken it to the ultimates, so I shall defer to Robert's answer on this.

4) Nope, in navigation mode "up" is always the direction you are travelling. You can however, (in TT3 - don't know about 2) display on screen a compass which will turn as you do so that you can see your orientation at a glance.

5) Just of late I have been looking into the idea of powered mounts and have now decided on buying the Arkon powered mount as this will give me enough volume to hear instructions when I have music in the car at reasonable volumes, and will also charge both my GPS and PDA at the same time - there are, of course other makes but this one seems to fit the bill for me.

Hope this is of help

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: