Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on New Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on New Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plywoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Advice on New Tom Tom Reply with quote

Hello, I have not used my original Tom Tom for 3 years now, as I have had a Factory fit option in my car, have now changed my car so it is back to the Tom Tom, as it is an original I thought it time for an upgrade, but now seem to be lost on the XL's the 5 series 7 series & 9 series. All probaly cheaper than my original!!

Anyway I would appreciate any advice on what would be the best option to go for, I looked at the 540 live, which on the face I thought looked good, but not sure I want to spend £270, then to get the full use £7.99 per month after 3 months.

In essence what I really need is, to be able to put my customers on as POI, a camera database, what I did like about the 540 was the mount, but if possible I do like to try and put on dashboard without a mount, so I can whip in and out quickly.

As I say I am really tempted by the 540 but I would appreciate any advice on a cheaper unit that will do what I need.

Is the Tom Tom camera database worth it for £19.95 I know that their is one on this forum, but not being a computer person it appeals to be able to just plug in the Tom Tom to home and let it download.
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic on the x40 series is a new HD traffic that works well. If your not wanting to pay the subscription and the unit cost then the x20/x30 series would be a good bet if you want features like mobile phone connectivity and text to speech for reading instructions/road names etc. For a navigation unit only then the one XL fits the bill.

The 5,7 and 9 before the x series number is more about UK/Euro/US maps differences and some features on top like FM transmitters.

The pocket GPS database is streets ahead of the tomtom one. It's not a diffilcult thing to install.

Last edited by Larok on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be aware that from the x40 range only the 940 has the mp3 playback capability, all x20 and x30 models have mp3 playback as standard.

520 UK & ROI Mapping 1GB internal Flash memory
720 Western Europe Mapping 2GB internal Flash memory
920 Western & Central Europe + North American Mapping plus remote control, RDS-TMC Receiver and EPT (for positional data when in tunnels).

530, 730 and 930 are essentially the same as the above devices in terms of hardware, the software differs slightly, an up to date x20 is the same as the equivalent x30. The x20 and x30 can use an SD card for additional storage.

The x40 series have a built in GPRS modem for the Live services which include more than just the HD Traffic, Google search, Fuel Prices etc, the mapping supplied with the devices is the same as the other units described above. The x40 also has a considerably better mount than the earlier units negating the need to plug/ unplug cables from the device, the x40 uses the tiny Micro SD card for additional storage- Mike
plywoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your replies, as to regarding the camera database is the Tom Tom one now road angel for whatever Tom Tom I choose.

I do have the database from here which is very outdated now, and is that a case of still copying the omv abd bmp files and pasting them on the Tom Tom, and with the Tom Tom you just connect to home to download.

If possible I still want to try and mount any new unit without the mount simply as I worry if someone see's a mount they assume I have left a sat nav in the car as well.
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 540 and I really love the design. The mount is super easy to attach and remove. Unlike previous tomtoms you don't have to play a game of tug of war to remove it. It seems to stay very securely attached as well.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the TomTom units load the database in the same way, for ours download, unzip then copy/ paste the files to the map folder on the device. If you are using the TomTom system you can download updates via TomTom Home, although in the case of Live devices they can download Mobile updates direct to the device.

To be honest I have been using the 940 with the RA database on it for some months while testing it and I have found it lacking in a number of locations close to me. I decided recently to de-active the RA camera system on my 940 and put the PGPSW files on to it. - Mike
plywoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you say that the services will be worth the extra after 3 months?

I believe the battery lasts longer on the 530, not to keen on trailing wires
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plywoo wrote:
That is a very difficult question to answer, I miss the Google Search and Fuel Prices more than the HD Traffic, I no longer have a need for the Live cameras so they have no relevance. I guess this is going to be down to how much you value the services and the flexibility they offer you with your device on the road. A three month period is long enough to evaluate how much use these services are, but if you don't think you will need them look at the x20/ x30 range.

plywoo wrote:
I believe the battery lasts longer on the 530, not to keen on trailing wires
I have had less than one hour from the battery on my 930 although I did have everything enabled on the device, these units are designed for use with a power cable, the x20/ x30 causes sound distortion from the speaker when on batteries alone - I always use the chargers with the devices - Mike
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plywoo wrote:

I'm in sales also and yes.

I agree with MikeAlder, individuals will have different needs, wants and resources. If you go to London at all then triple yes. A screen shot of the traffic info on a Friday afternoon/evening would be of interest to you. In balance the larger the territory the more useful it becomes. TomTom marketing are targeting high milaege drivers for the Live services. I think there's an honest benifit for those people.

If you buy your own petrol and then are reimbursed at a fixed rate the petrol price search could make back your monthly cost. No good if you buy petrol on a company card and get a fixed rate/mile private milaege deduction though!
plywoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Halfords today to look at the Tom Toms and the manager suggested looking at the Garmins, I looked at the 200 series and to be honest I thought that the quality looked good and maybe not as, not sure how to put it but maybe garish as the Tom Tom.

I thought what do I actually need, I want to be able to navigate from A to B with camera alerts, and put customers on as POI (could I do this from my original Tom Tom to a Garmin)

I also thought that the smaller unit would be better for me, I could pick up a Garmin 205 i think it was for about £109, where I was going to spend nearly £300 for a X40 Live.

Would appreciate any feedback before I commit as I have no knowledge of the Garmins.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plywoo, I assume you are talking about the Garmin Nuvi 250 currently £99.99 online with Halfords.

In terms of functionality this is equivalent to the TT One Europe XL which is £149.99 from Halfords.

If you want to shop around, you can get the TomTom ONE WE CLASSIC from PC World @ £109.99. Same functionality, same screen size and a similar price to the Garmin.

If you want a few more bells and whistles then the best TT deal currently is the TT GO 920 Traffic. Six months ago this was the trop of the range with TT! This also has US maps, blue tooth hands free, traffic, mp3 player... There are some problems with the additional functionality, but personally the recent s/w and map upgrades for me seem to have improved it a lot for me....

You should be able to transfer over your old POIs, not so sure about TT POI to Garmin POI.

Personally I am sticking with TT as there are a lot more of them out there! Wink
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed meant to say that the TT GO 920 Traffic is only £199.99 at PC World and £182.31 at Amazon. You should be able to get PCW to price match if they have one in stock Wink
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation of the POI files between the Garmin and TomTom formats in either direction is actually very easy, for any files from this site all you need to do is download them in the correct format for the device type.

If you have something created by yourself then POIEdit can very easily accomplish this task, you can download this application from This Web site.

I would go back to Halfords and take a long serious look at the TomTom XL - wide screen and a cracking device, if you don't need the bells and whistles offered on the x20, x30 or x40 units the XL is a very capable machine, otherwise the 920 is probably the current bargain to be had in the TomTom range, assuming you can find a retailer with stock - Mike
plywoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I looked at the small Garmin I had only considered the widescreens, and even the wide screen was not going to be as big as the installed one that I had in the car, but the car I now have has quite a small screen, and narrow as well, so I am leaning towards a small screen that I can put discretly on the right of the screen.

Appreciate all of your help decisions decisions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: