Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrijer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Navigon 8110 Problems Reply with quote

I have just purchased a 8110 and used it on a trip from the Eurotunnel in the UK to Duesseldorf in Germany.

I have a few observations/questions that some of you experienced Navigon user might be able to answer.

The screen quality was impressive but I found it excessively bright. This was much less of an issue when driving in well lit areas or motorways. However, on unlit German autobahns on a dark rainy night I found the screen brightness intrusive and distracting - can the brightness be turned down (I was operating in night mode)?

The windscreen mount was sturdy until, while adjusting it, it made a loud click and would no longer power the 8110 through the mount. And if the 8110 is mounted, it can't be powered through its usb port on the bottom of the unit. So the 8110 ran out of juice before I got to Dusseldorf. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm concerned about the software stability - the 8110 crashed three times on its first trip. I was using the unit straight out of the box so I had not done any updates of any sort. I think the software was Q2 2008. Has anyone got views on how stable the Navigon is in use?

I must admit, I'm a bit dis-enchanted with the 8110 and it is currently packed up waiting to be returned to Amazon - which is a pity as I really wanted to like it with its two years of map updates and lane assist which is a Godsend on motorways
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon 8110 Problems Reply with quote

harrijer wrote:

1. The screen quality was impressive but I found it excessively bright. This was much less of an issue when driving in well lit areas or motorways. However, on unlit German autobahns on a dark rainy night I found the screen brightness intrusive and distracting - can the brightness be turned down (I was operating in night mode)?

2. The windscreen mount was sturdy until, while adjusting it, it made a loud click and would no longer power the 8110 through the mount. And if the 8110 is mounted, it can't be powered through its usb port on the bottom of the unit. So the 8110 ran out of juice before I got to Dusseldorf. Has anyone else had this problem?

3. I'm concerned about the software stability - the 8110 crashed three times on its first trip. I was using the unit straight out of the box so I had not done any updates of any sort. I think the software was Q2 2008. Has anyone got views on how stable the Navigon is in use?

1. The brightness can be adjusted in the menus. I'm certain the day and night brightness are adjusted independent of each other.

2. Doesn't sound good... the mount is very stiff when moving and maybe heavy handling could have broken a connection. You should get the charging symbol appear when the 8110 is mounted. Had no issue here.

3. Definately recommend updating the software, I've had mine a few months and not had it crash on me with the latest software release.
harrijer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon 8110 Problems Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Trawling through the forum I noticed a reply you made to another post:

Quote:

When I had a issue suspecting the mount wasn't charging the unit Navigon paid the cost of collecting the mount testing it and returning it too me, so very surprised you have had no luck with Tech.
Turned out the mount was working fine (was something I had done)

As I wasn't using undue force while adjusting the mount perhaps I made the same mistake. What did you do to rectify the charging issue?

Regarding the screen brightness - I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm being dense but do you know what menu it is under? I'll unpack the Navigon again and have a look myself a little later today.

I am quite taken with the Navigon but my initial problems have rather put me off. At the moment it is packed up to be shipped back to Amazon. It's a pity as I really like the two years map update and the poi on route is great when you do a lot of motorway driving and suddenly the kids say 'Daddy I need a wee!' Smile I wonder if the newer TomToms have the same feature.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For brightness controls you need to be at the Main menu... not the Navigation menu. (The one showing, Navigation, Music, Pictures, Phone) then select options at the bottom and settings.

You will then see the day and night brightness settings.

As for the charging issue, mine turned out to be some clear plastic which had stuck to one of the contacts at the back (no idea where it came from... was that stuff that sticks itself).
Have you got a light on the plug itself, and if you plug that directly into the bottom of the Navigon does it charge (icon should change to lightning bolt).
Thinking about it I have rotated the fitting for my Navigon upside down before and it still charges ok so they are not that flimsy.
harrijer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right will give the screen brightness a go once the kids are in bed - thanks for the tip.

Regarding the charger/mount - yes got a light on the charger and it charges ok via the socket on the bottom of the navigon. I'll check the contacts on the back and on the mount itself to see if there is anything in the way.

What's the latest on adding your own POI's? More specifically, I'm interested in adding the speed errr safety cam database available here - is it possible?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that it's something simple with the charging issue. Does seem strange.

As for the Poi, it's confusing at the moment Navigating.de seemed to indicate software will be released soon, but today I got a confusing email which contradicted itself? Confused
But either way they confirmed the software is in development (which is progress as before they just said contact Navigon who said contact Navigating.de
harrijer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Brightness: Had a look at the settings menu, and now I remember that I had actually seen it before. It was set on its (default) lowest brightness for night use which means it is still brighter than I would like and quite a bit brighter than my car's built-in satnav (very good but maps out of date and expensive to update). Like I said before, brightness may not be an issue for most but if you do a lot of driving on unlit roads it may be.

I also found it difficult to tilt the Navigon downwards enough to avoid getting a relfection in the windscreen - I ended up mounting it just below the rear view mirror in the end which was not ideal Smile Obviously this problem varies between cars depending on the angle of the windscreen.

The charging issue is still an issue - I checked all the contacts but no change. I also noticed that something is rattling around inside the mount which isn't a good sign. So it looks like I have a deffective mount which, given your experience, Navigon would replace quickly.

I just need to make up my mind if I'll keep it or not - I think the screen brightness and the user poi issues may be the deal breakers though.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon should replace the mount quickly, if not Amazon would maybe replace it. As I did buy mine direct from Navigon.

Never really found the screen too bright in night mode... I have the opposite issue to you that my cars built in sat nav (tomtom) screen is too bright and horrible routing. (See a recent post when my sister borrowed my Navigon and tried to keep hold of it). The Tom Tom I have is really 'emergancy' use only.
I know the Tom Tom is much older software which Tom Tom or Eclipse seem interested in updating Crying or Very sad
harrijer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring this thread to a close:

I returned my Navigon to Amazon for a refund. In the end, in ascending order of importance:

- windscreen mount became defective on first trip (ok this is hopefully an exception)
- the screen brightness at night was an issue for me.
- software stability out of the box was terrible - crashed three times on first trip (yes I know I could have updated it but updates should be for minor bugs or enhancements)
- The lack of poi software being released and a lot of confusion surrounding if/when/ever it will be.
- Very bad comments about Navigon's customer support from other forum users and also confirmed by personal experience of one of Navigons much earlier units (was hoping they had got their act together with the 8110)

So, time to look around again. Back to TomTom perhaps although it bugs me they removed the remote control from their latest premium models and now make you pay extra for it.

Given the credit crunch and thus having shopped (supprisingly and gratifyingly succesfully) at Aldi, maybe I should try one of their Sat Navs! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: