Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Broken TomTom 910 - Repair Options?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken TomTom 910 - Repair Options?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Broken TomTom 910 - Repair Options? Reply with quote

We bought my father in law a TomTom 910, 2 years ago, but recently it has gone on the blink. It doesn't switch on anymore - when it's plugged in, the charge light shows. I've tried to re-set it (had done this before) but to be honest, i think he may have accidentaly forced in the reset button, as i couldn't feel any resistence when i pushed in the paperclip to press.

I'd say it looks as if someone is going to have to take a look at it. Can you tell me are there any cheaper independent places in the UK that would be able to do this, or is sending back to TomTom the only option? Is there a TomTom repair centre in UK or is it in Holland? Also - what would the average repair cost be? (if anyone has had the experience of sending back before)

thankyou in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the reset button again, but this time use a pin/ needle - quite often the paperclip is slightly to large in diameter so it doesn't go in the small hole and depress the switch, this is also why you cannot feel it move.
There have been reports of failed reset switches, but this is very rare -

Also double check the dates when you purchased it, the 910 came with a two year warranty, if there is a chance it might be inside the two years you might get it repaired for free - Mike
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mike - turn out i was wrong - the reset button i thought I was pressing was the small hole on the front! Have now tried pressing the correct reset button, and can feel it de-pressing fine; but unfortunately still not working. Because it was a gift, we're not sure if we've kept the receipt, but are going to try to dig it out.

My guess on why it's not working is that the battery is not being charged properly - even though the light on the front is going on. This is just a guess on my part though.

Any idea what the deal is with repairs in the UK?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by contacting the SatNav Shop, they have a good reputation with quite a few forum members, their web site can be found Here - I would also ask them to check out the microphone while they have got it - your certainly not the first person to assume that hole on the front is a reset switch - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: