Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 Going...Cheap...ish
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 Going...Cheap...ish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Don't get the RDS receiver from the same shop as that price is daylight robbery, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask Shocked You can get either RDS receiver (Mini USB or earlier type) from Amazon for under £20, I would suggest you go for the Mini USB style receiver though which will free up the iPOD port on the device, or get a large SDHC card and put your music on that - less cables in the car - Mike

I got the mini USB RDS unit. Had to collect from Post Office this pm. Opened packet and plugged into base of Brodit mount - I went for the powered mount with through connector - and within 30 secs had the green light on the 720. THis was with the aerial lead just draped on the dashboard as I will be connecting it to the aerial splitter this weekend.

Haven't got the iPod cable as I will probably go for an SDHC card.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Haven't got the iPod cable as I will probably go for an SDHC card.

A wise move, its less cables strewn about and doesn't give you the situation where the iPOD ends up with a flat battery and no music!
Just remember the TomTom will only play mp3 files so tracks off your iPOD won't work as they are in a different format - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote
Quote:
Just remember the TomTom will only play mp3 files so tracks off your iPOD won't work as they are in a different format
If you have a lot of iTunes tracks, then google "Sound Taxi" and you can purchase their programme that will convert them to mp3s that can be played on any mp3 player.

Also you can now download unprotected mp3 music from Amazon and they're mostly cheaper than iTunes.
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder,

Thanks very much for the reply, after my wife has opened it (Christmas present) and had a little play I will reconnect it and do as you suggest.

Thanks again and have a great Christmas

Best Wishes, Simon Very Happy
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new (refurbished) 720 turned up yesterday at 8:00am after ordering the day before. Well pleased so far with this purchase from totalPDA.

Also, thought I'd let others know that mine had the 'Latest Map Guarantee/Map Share 1 year Voucher' in the box. Haven't tried using this yet but the voucher is included so shouldn't be an issue.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't actually need it.

Back up your 720 using windows explorer...NOT Home. Make sure you have view all files including hidden set in windows and drag and drop the whole of the TT folders and files to a named folder on the desktop as a backup.
Then upgrade the OS to 8.3 before going for the map upgrade...should be to 8.15.It might not go smoothly so be patient

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder,

Did as you suggested and it all worked....even to the extent of now having the 'stuttering' voice problem using the computer voices (at least it proves I'm on the latest versions).

I will now await the 'fix' that other folks here are hoping that TomTom come up with. I hope its soon!

Happy New Year! Laughing
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Reply with quote

Having managed to get 8.3 and the latest maps running on my refurb 720 I have just spent some time with my nearest and dearest setting up the bluetooth with her Samsung SGH-e760.

We have the hands-free working but I have a question regarding whether we can load her phonebook from the phone to the GO using bluetooth? On the TomTom phone compatibility lists it shows the GO720 only allowing handsfree with the Samsung SGH-e760 but the GO730 allows handsfree and the transfer of the phonebook from the phone as well.

Question is this really, should the upgrade to 8.3 also allow us to add the phonebook via bluetooth or is this a hardware difference between to GO720 and GO730?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Reply with quote

grizgut wrote:
Question is this really, should the upgrade to 8.3 also allow us to add the phonebook via bluetooth or is this a hardware difference between to GO720 and GO730?

My refurbed 720 (now at 830 with maps 815) allowed me to transfer the contact information from my Nokia 6110 (which isn't on the support listing at all). It's only hands-free operation (no SMS) but this is the same as I had with my nuvi 660 - it's a function of the 'phones BT firmware.

Just try it! If it works then you are OK!
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philpugh,

I did try it but it said the function is not supported, although it is shown as a supported function in the TomTom phone support lists for the Go730/Samsung SGH-E760, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Is there any way of adding phone numbers to the TomTom manually?

Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, do you use Excel on your PC? if so there is a spreadsheet available to create the file for the TomTom which can be downloaded from Here - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it makes a difference but the contacts.txt file on my 720 is in a contacts directory (all lower case). The notes in the spreadsheet say to copy it to the root directory.

FWIW - TomTom will also keep a copy of your recent calls and recent callers in files in this directory. (called.txt and callers.txt)
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil and Mike, I will copy the Excel sheet and copy the numbers across for her.

Great forum!
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for their guidance in this thread.

I have now bought the Go720 from Totalpda.

It arrived very quickly and I have done all the updates as described.

The updates were all done successfully.

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: