Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE 3rd edition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE 3rd edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: TomTom ONE 3rd edition Reply with quote

I have just upgraded my ONE 3rd edition to the latest software and maps and now the device gives a 'Boing' sound at intervals and I cannot workout what is triggering this.

Perhaps it's related to POIs but I did not have anything set with a warning before the upgarde. Is there anyway I can switch off the warning for all POIs. It's possible it's some sort of speed warning as it seems to happen when I going faster than 70. Again is there any way I can switch it off. I do not have the spedd camera database loaded as I use a Road Pilot for that.

Thanks in advance.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 720, there is a warning under Safety Preferences to Warn when going faster than allowed. Perhaps you have that and it is checked as well.

Last edited by dhn on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
On my 720, there is a warning under Safety Warnings to Warn when going faster than allowed. Perhaps you have that and it is checked as well.

I just had a look and my ONE does not seem to have a Safety Warnings option.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr wrote:
I just had a look and my ONE does not seem to have a Safety Warnings option.

Do you have a Safety preferences option in Change preferences?

If so you will find 'Warn when driving faster than a set speed' there.

And as for
Quote:
I do not have the spedd camera database loaded as I use a Road Pilot for that.
, you should treat yourself to our database and run it on your ONE, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited by Darren on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the third edition go to Change Preferences/ Safety Preferences (page one of five - top right icon)
Uncheck "Warn when driving faster than allowed"

This should get rif of the issue, if you don't have the Change Preferences/ Safety preferences option are you using a custom menu on the unit? - Mike
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
On the third edition go to Change Preferences/ Safety Preferences (page one of five - top right icon)
Uncheck "Warn when driving faster than allowed"

This should get rif of the issue, if you don't have the Change Preferences/ Safety preferences option are you using a custom menu on the unit? - Mike

Thinking about it I think I modified the menus on my ONE using the Menu Designer program. I've probably not included the Safety Preferences on my modified menu.

I shall have to find my saved copy of the original menu and add the item back to my modified menu - unless of course anyone has the line that I need to add to hand!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple the device to your PC and go to the folder named "SDKRegistry" locate the file named TomTom.mnu and right click it, rename the file to TomTom_Old.mnu

Boot the device and set the options in change preferences to stop the beeping, once you have this sorted out re-name the file TomTom_Old.mnu back to TomTom.mnu and you will have the custom menu back on the device, but the options you have set will remain preventing the beeps

Having looked through the list of menu commands and tried to find the correct line there was nothing obvious, so I think the above method is prably the quickest - Mike
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I've done as you suggest and Yes the Speed warning in Safety Preferences was switched on. I have know switched it off and gone back to my modified menus. All seems to be working OK but the final test will be when I next go out and I am driving above the speed limit - naughty boy that I am!!.

By the way someone suggested that I download the PGpsW speed camera database onto my ONE. The main reason I use the Road Pilot Micro is because I leave that permanently wired into the car whereas I only use the TomTom when I need route guidance.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr wrote:
By the way someone suggested that I download the PGpsW speed camera database onto my ONE. The main reason I use the Road Pilot Micro is because I leave that permanently wired into the car whereas I only use the TomTom when I need route guidance.

That'll be me then! If you were to use ours you would have a map display that showed you both camera type, exact location, speed limit and a real voice warning. At £50 per year for RoadPilot data ours at £16.99 is both considerably cheaper and equally comprehensive I would venture?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
h5djr wrote:

That'll be me then! If you were to use ours you would have a map display that showed you both camera type, exact location, speed limit and a real voice warning. At £50 per year for RoadPilot data ours at £16.99 is both considerably cheaper and equally comprehensive I would venture?

Another reason I quite like my MicroGo setup is that the unit is small and I have it mounted so that I can see it out of the corner of my eye. It has a large digit speed reading which I can also set to Kph when driving in France, Germany etc. I can have Kph on the MicroGo and normal Mph on my car speedo and have both easily visable when I'm driving.

My TomTom ONE is mounted much lower down and apart from setting it I rely entirely on the voice instructions as it it not in my line of site and nor do I want it to be.

I accept that the PGW database would be cheaper but as far as I am personally concerned, not as convenient. I normally pay for 3 years at a time so my subscrition is only twice that of the PGW database and money is not everthing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: