Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these (seeing as admins have not removed previous links to these files) - delete everything in your LoquendoTTS folder and replace with the contents of this rar.

This is the full file structure for Kate only on TTS7.

Seems to be working on mine, but not done a full test yet.

As usual, all at your own risk and make sure you have a Windows Explorer backup before you start.

Kate TTS7 Full Loquendo Folder

Andy
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they work as they come I'd leave them well alone.....

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just finished a short trip with the new Loquendo files and Simon still stuttered over a couple of street names so this is not a cure for my 920. Guess I'll have to phone TT support tomorrow and add my name to the list.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
Well, just finished a short trip with the new Loquendo files and Simon still stuttered over a couple of street names so this is not a cure for my 920. Guess I'll have to phone TT support tomorrow and add my name to the list.

Which files - the TTS7 ones I just posted or the previously posted ones which are still TTS6?

Andy
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:

This is the whole point of this thread "they dont work as they come" - they are stuttering, and missing names.
AndyVaughan If i wanted to add simon to this file would I just download it from tomtom? (as i never use kate cant stand the way she pronounce roundabouts!!!) But thinking about it it would when trying to add the voice tomtom would probably search my computer for the voice so I suppose I would have to delete it from computer first? Any Ideas
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Can everyone who is messing around with the voice problem please check their POI settings, go the Change Preferences/ Show POI on Map and see what is selected - the 8,3 update seems to be enabling all custom POI files, this will cause problems for those with lots of custom POI on their device.
There is no problem having the POI files on the device, they don't need to be enabled to be useful, and if you didn't have them enabled prior to 8,3 you might be surprised to see they are all switched on - this affects both available memory and processor power - Mike

I unchecked all the POIs, don't have speed cameras loaded and disabled wireless and bluetooth facilities. i.e. I tried to reduce load on the CPU to a minimum.

It looks like some versions of "Loquendo TTS" use less RAM and/or processing power and improve but don't totally cure the speech problem.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
topgazza wrote:

This is the whole point of this thread "they dont work as they come" - they are stuttering, and missing names.
Any Ideas

What I meant was if in response to someone being told by Home that there were later versions of the voices. IF the Loqendo replacement works.....as it comes from Scotch-Whiskey....then leave it alone.

But yes...TTs obviously don't work as they come...or at least once you update the OS and maps. TT have really shot themselves in the foot here......but do they care ?

Next door has a Navman 90i...and has not had anything like the problems.

Last edited by topgazza on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I am cheesed right off with tomtom. I have paid for the next 12 months of maps and you cant use the new map unless you update the software, and if you update the software you then lose one of the features that enticed me to buy the 720 in the first place (along with having the fm transmitter that i could have directions read out over the stereo while listening to mp3's- which has now gone as well!!!) and to top it off their customer support is terrible.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true of course that all Sat Nav products have problems...and that you only here about them by reading websites like this. It can make depressing reading for a potential buyer. Its not necessarily the most accurate picture though.

But in this case, given the amount of TTs out there this is a PR disaster for TT.

The 720 is a great piece of kit, especially the refurb units which are also good value. But the x20 range seem vulnerable to this problem but the x30 are not ...is that a correct assumption ? Maybe its TTs cunning plan to make us all upgrade......although most will probably buy a Garmin or even a Navman after this debacle.....not such a cunning plan.

Come on TomTom...get your finger out......

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever considered how many people purchase a nav unit and never connect it to their PC let alone update it?
I have seen many units that the owners are quite happy with running very out of date maps and original applications, the devices are often still the same as when the left the shops.

Remember you will also only tend to hear from people with problems on the forum, if something is working fine then they tend not to mention it - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just thinking the same thing.....I bet the vast majority...of those that buy Sat Nav...never go near a PC with it...and yes Websites can give a distorted view by their very nature.

They would read this stuff and wonder what the heck we were talking about. It did cross my mind...it didn't take long....that maybe...just maybe a lot of the issues are not helped by the amount of map, POI, camera...tweaking that goes on. Not criticising it of course but perhaps the units are just not robust enough for all this and in some models we are reaching the limit of their capability to cope with this.....and TomTom aren't helping with their update quality.

Just musing is all.....

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
bullyterrier wrote:
topgazza wrote:

Any Ideas

What I meant was if in response to someone being told by Home that there were later versions of the voices. IF the Loqendo replacement works.....as it comes from Scotch-Whiskey....then leave it alone.

But yes...TTs obviously don't work as they come...or at least once you update the OS and maps. TT have really shot themselves in the foot here......but do they care ?

Next door has a Navman 90i...and has not had anything like the problems.

But those voices were TTS 6.90 hence why the upgrade was offered. If you put TTS7 voices on a x20 HOME will quite politely tell you that they will not work with your current application version!

Quite funny as they seem to work significantly better than the 'recommended' ones.

7 downloads so far of the TTS7 files I uploaded - anyone got any feedback yet as to if they work for them?

Andy
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 custom points of inerest and the tomtom speed cameras, I still have the problem
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been for a spin and it is better, but still not 100%. I had bluetooth disabled and no POIs displayed on the map. RDS-TMC was plugged in.

There is still stuttering, but it was significantly less than with TTS6, and it went away after I stopped the speed showing in the status bar.

I will test over the next few days, but it looks like it is wait for another update from TT to fix it.

Andy
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and it looks like it is possibly a memory full/allocation/mem buffer related problem....amongst possibly others of course.

Be more than a bit interesting to see if TomTom are aware of this...at the right level and actually take rapid action...I suspect everyone affected will have to revert back to their previous status until they do.

Is it only x20s affected ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 7 of 49

Jump to: