Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I got fed up with 8,300 around Christmas so started playing around with this, once the 8,301 was released I tried it for a few days and noticed it was no better than the 8,300 it superseded, so I have gone back to 8,320 on the devices and they are useable again - Mike

I have gone back to 8.204 from the 940 on my 920 with TTS7 voices. Seems to be quicker on the map refresh and route calculation speed than 8.320.

Andy
Ramon144
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
mikealder wrote:
I got fed up with 8,300 around Christmas so started playing around with this, once the 8,301 was released I tried it for a few days and noticed it was no better than the 8,300 it superseded, so I have gone back to 8,320 on the devices and they are useable again - Mike

I have gone back to 8.204 from the 940 on my 920 with TTS7 voices. Seems to be quicker on the map refresh and route calculation speed than 8.320.

Andy

Maybe I should consider that too.
Did you just extract the CAB onto your existing files?
Just curious, which bootloader?
piergino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: 8.320 with TTS7 Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Everything works as normal, the FM Transmitter for navigation voices won't work but that is intentional due to EU law.

Updating the TTS voices from what are currently on the devices to the new ones is all part of the process to reduce stammer, Map refresh issues etc.

If you follow the "how to" on page 28 it will work - deviate from the order each step takes and there is a chance it won't unless you know and understand what is going on when you update software manually.

Working pretty good after 1000 Km. Thanks Mike.

Just one issue with the EPT which does not work good (in Madrid we have lots of tunnels). But I prefere to lve without it instead than with the stuttering. The map refresh is acceptable as well.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon144 wrote:
AndyVaughan wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Andy

Maybe I should consider that too.
Did you just extract the CAB onto your existing files?
Just curious, which bootloader?

Yep - it upgrades the bootloader to 5.106 which hasn't caused me any (noticable) problems so far

Make sure to use winrar and overwrite everything.

You have to use TTS7 voices - delete the entire LoquendoTTS folder before extracting the Navcore - it will recreate the LoquendoTTS folder and then extract the CAB for the Kate v7.10 voice in to the Loquendo TTS folder.

Andy
Eagle15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:

Make sure to use winrar and overwrite everything.

Andy

Andy - Why specifically winrar?
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because that is the download compressed file format your useing..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winar is known to extract the files and replace them within the correct folders - the built in software supplied with Windows doesn't do this and the end result is a device that won't work.

I guess there are other decompression software utilities that can work correctly with a TomTom supplied download, but the instructions I posted back on page 28 include the use of WinRar. I am not going to re-write these instructions to take in to account every possible software option as I don't have time to test them or document their use - Mike
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my latest reply from trashtrash support in response to me asking what and when are they going to sort this problem out:

This will be resolved in an application update. Unfortunately we do not have a resolve for it yet which is why the latest application update did not change the operation.

We apologise for the inconvenience.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation: "Our ***** engineers haven't even started work on it yet, but we were so beaten up here in support by irate users that we saw there was an updated app (for AU) and we hoped putting it up might buy us a day or 2's peace while you all went on a wild goose chase installing and testing it. In the meantime we pursued our support group and they set us right." Laughing
Passionpantz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: More Baloney Reply with quote

Received this as a response from TomTom today. Cant help but notice that they are not commiting to a date for the updates, so pleased i followed p28 on this thread to get me going again.
I still feel we are all being robbed as the item i purchased is not doing what it should,nor have the features they boast about on the box.

1. The computer voices on some GO x20 / x30 devices with a 8.300 application can be missing or faulty.

We are currently working on a solution to this challenge. This solution will be offered to you with the next application update on TomTom Home.

In the meantime, we advise you to use a standard voice.

To select a standard voice, please tap on Voice preferences, then Change voice.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

2. As far as the map lag is concerned, please try the following:

Please follow the instructions on this webpage:-

http://www.tomtom.com/6178

You should no longer have the map lag issues that you are experiencing with your TomTom device.

3. We understand that you are concerned about the recent change to the TomTom application which has disabled FM Transmission of navigation instructions. We deeply regret that it has become necessary for us to implement this change, as our FM Transmission technology was a unique innovation at the time of its release.

Unfortunately, due to recent legislation, it is no longer allowed to occupy an unused FM frequency unless audio transmission is constant. Because the signal that carries your TomTom's voice instructions is not constant (voice instructions are only given occasionally, as needed) it has now become illegal to transmit this kind of audio via FM radio transmission.

We regret that this feature can no longer be offered under the current legal restriction.

4. As far as your latest map guarantee is concerned, we unfortunately cannot extend this as you did not contact us with the limits of this guarantee (thirty days following the purchase of your device). We are sorry that you could not benefit from your latest map.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, as suggested by TT in my previous post on page 43. TT suggestd the lag and stutter is also linked to battery level.

As requested by TT support, I started a long trip (Colchester UK to Noordwijk, Netherlands) with a fully charged GO920. It behaved impeccably with no apparent lag or stutter. Cool I was using TTS, FM, RDS and hands free phone on blue tooth. It even took a few calls without locking up.

Overnight I used the TT for planning the next day route so it started the return journey this afternoon with a slightly discharged battery. Initially there was a noticeable GPS lag but no stutter. The lag was very apparent when the RDS was downloading traffic alerts for the Rotterdam and other areas. At one point I missed a diversion because of the GPS lag and lost 10 mins on my journey. Evil or Very Mad

By the time I reached Antwerp the unit was fully charged and performed well for the rest of the journey. Very Happy

In conclusion, there does appear to be a linkage between battery level and performance. That being said, the unit should work correctly at all times apart from when the battery level is really low.

Another long trip ( CoPilot 110 miles) this morning. Let's see if it keeps up the good performance. Question
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
OK, as suggested by TT in my previous post on page 43. TT suggestd the lag and stutter is also linked to battery level.

That may make it even worse, but I never use my 720 on battery and experience the screen slowing to a crawl quite regularly.

I don't even use TTS voices or hands free!

For me the trigger seems to be playing mp3s over Bluetooth and going anywhere near a roundabout or other "complicated" junction.
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: More Baloney Reply with quote

Passionpantz wrote:
2. As far as the map lag is concerned, please try the following:

Please follow the instructions on this webpage:-

http://www.tomtom.com/6178

You should no longer have the map lag issues that you are experiencing with your TomTom device.
This is interesting that TomTom has two versions of ClearFlash the one above and the older ttgo510-710.clear_flash.exe

They are identical files except for setup.apk

I did also notice that with this one the exe in the clear_flash.zip is named Clear Flash - ALL.exe
Maybe everyone should be using this one instead of the older one.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@passionpantz: At least you got a clear itemized response. I raised same points and got 1) same verbiage about EU Directive, and 2) asked to send in details of my BT phone!!! Everything else was skipped.

Use of clearflash (if recommended by engineering staff, not the support crew acting independently), would be the first positive indication I've seen from TT that it is an ineffective (or buggy) garbage collector (ie. memory fragmentation). A clearflash would certainly give the memory manager a fresh start with unfragmented memory.

The symptoms certainly point strongly to me that it is a memory fragmentation issue. Partly observing the nature of the manifestation of the problems, and also from studying its recovery patterns. Also anything that can vary in terms of its impact so wildly over multiple units/usage patterns, has to be some "2nd order" functionality, else results would be more determinant. Also updating the app or the map brings longer term relief, quite possibly caused by the copy process using all free memory and thus again making it homogeneous (whole).

But what's causing it? If it is a memory leak or similar, it should be quick to find and fix, now they know to look for it - but that does presume they are actively working on it of course ;-) If it is build size, then why is it not as bad on other builds which do not seem that much smaller? Ditto different map sizes should mean the problem would affect all versions of app equally, if using same maps. Plus I ran for almost 30 days with 8.3 and 715 maps while waiting to use LMG and the results for me were just the same (equally bad) with 715 masp as they were with 8.15.

So I'm leaning towards a poorly designed/implemented garbage collection routine which has never been stretched as much as it now is. With more features = more code + more on-the-fly working space requirements. And/or possibly recent new memory usage patterns with newer features, e.g. if previous features allocated and subsequently released memory in similar sized chunks then even if the garbage collector was slow to reconnect the free space into larger chunks, the existing even-sized chunks could still be (re-)used fairly efficiently. But if a new feature suddenly required much larger (or smaller) chunks, this would lead to all sorts of memory fragmentation, and the garbage collection need would be more critical and/or need to run more frequently.

Now rewriting a garbage collector is not something that you do quickly, unless you are very, very good. (And if you were then it would probably not be so bad in the first place.) Plus it is would typically be fairly old, and therefore unfamiliar, code.

So IMHO TT could be up against it on this one, and genuinely need a lot of time to fix it. But I would have hoped for more interim help along the lines of what's been happening here on this site - try this version of app, avoid using these features in combo, etc. If they haven't narrowed down the cause enough to do even that yet, then we still have a long, long wait for a true fix.

The reference to a fully charged device seems suspect to me. I was running my 720 without in-car power at all times (until I discovered that all sound would cease when power got low, often triggered by an incoming BT phone call!). So I can say that the lag, stuttering, etc., behaved the same when battery was good, med, and poor - once the sound had cut out and the (nearly invisible) low battery symbol appeared then the map lag *MIGHT* have been longer, but it was still a very consistent display, so I don't think it was. Plus that would mean that the in-car "charger" was not capable of feeding enough power to run the device AND charge the battery? That would mean incredible penny pinching on TT's part, and the charger is certainly physically big! Plus those using 3rd party chargers should be getting better/worse problems. Anyone noticed that correlation?

Sorry, that turned into a long post :-)

Will be testing 8.320 today for first time. How do I get hold of this 8.204 app to try if 8.320 doesn't do it for me?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

layingback wrote:
Will be testing 8.320 today for first time. How do I get hold of this 8.204 app to try if 8.320 doesn't do it for me?

I am sure there are already links to this software within the forum, if you find you need it then shout out later and I am sure someone will post a link to the latest version.

The really strange thing about the stutter issue is when you compare the x20/ x30 with the x40 - same processor, same memory, very similar capability although the x40 has slightly more to do in terms of functionality - the x40 doesn't stutter. - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 44 of 49

Jump to: