Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so fed up with the Kate stutter I have decided to roll back a version until TomTom sort out all these problems. I am disgusted with the lack of support from TomTom on these issues!!.
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does Tomtom pay you guys to do their quality control? .... Sound like a good job, working from home....
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batties wrote:
I was so fed up with the Kate stutter I have decided to roll back a version until TomTom sort out all these problems. I am disgusted with the lack of support from TomTom on these issues!!.

I'm with you on this, I think it's disgusting that a company like this can get away with releasing products that are not up to the job. You pay out for new maps, then cant use them because the voice control doesn't work and the map is so jerky its like looking at an old sinclair spectrum. Why bring out products sub standard, that has clearly not been tested properly. Could you imagine if I had a tomtom in my boat, glad I have a garmin in it.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a good case for Tom Tom buyers to return their purchases as "not fit for purpose"... then buy a new one and get latest maps under LMG... only the new maps won't work with the latest software... help... I am in a loop... Very Happy

"8" has to be a number that Tom Tom will learn to fear in future years... "do you remember the 8 series maps and software... shudder in the boardroom.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Alan.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
buy a new one and get latest maps under LMG... only the new maps won't work with the latest software...
Alan, this wouldn't work as to get the latest map you would first have to update the software on the device to the 8,3 release - As long as people backup their devices before performing any upgrades at all then nothing is lost (apart from a little time messing around with the device).

What I would like to hear is the answer from TomTom support as they have been telling people to go back to version 8,010 to cure the stutter problem.

if a user hasn't got the v810 or earlier map due to upgrades without backups, what are they supposed to do?

(and there will be more than one) - Mike
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I believe Tom Tom should allow folks with new devices that came with ver. 8.10 maps installed, who have haven't backed up before updating via LMG to the 815 map, to re-download the 8.10 map, as technically they still own a license for that map... otherwise, they have a device that is "not fit for purpose"

Alan.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of my maps have disappeared from HOME and TT can't work out why - I no longer get offered NA 7.15 and WCE 8.10 - I only get offered NA 7.10 (which came on the device) and WCE 8.15.

I have backups, but that isn't the point - they should still be available on HOME.

Well done TT - looks like you have made a complete mess of the implementation of IQ2 on x20 and x30 models, as well as the map upgrade program 'losing' half of your maps.

I thought htings couldn't get worse than the RDS-TMC farce, but this time they really have screwed up - it looks like HD Traffic is flakey as well for the x40 owners.

I am going to try the x30 navcore with TTS7 - the x40 works fine but some functionality is lost (my phone won't set up a data connection for one).

Andy
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a trip to Gatwick and back from Newhaven early yesterday morning and can confirm with the v7 tts it was stutter free Smile

Still seemed a bit late re advice to turn off etc and TMC again told me A26 was blocked heading towards Newhaven with 52minute delays.

This is the second time I have had the TMC say that road was blocked and as it was 06:00am I did not believe it re the 4 mile queue.

However just before I got home it said on screen "Remote COntrol Connected", screen then froze followed by a reboot which got stuck on the tomtom boot screen.

A reset with pin fix it.

I assume this is the other reported problem with the BlueTooth remote?

HummeUK
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it time that Tomtom took responsibility for what they have sold so far. Stopped producing new rubbish and corrected their past mistakes first.

Until they start showing some customer care I for one will never buy another Tomtom. As has already been said, send them back. 'Not fit for purpose'. If it were your new car, TV or washing machine, would you put up with it?

I'm using my 720 on the version shown below. It works as far as I can see, so I won't be putting in any 'downgrades' opps I mean upgrades. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO 8.010 is the most stable Navcore they have released for the x20s - at least the TMC gives you delay info unlike all of the public Navcore 7 releases.

As you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it BUT the whole idea of the 8.15 map release and Navcore 8.3 was IQ2 routing which you miss ou on if you don't upgrade.

I know everyone is moaning, but TT aren't actually under any obligation to keep adding new functionality to older models. A lot of other manufacturers don't bother - you have to buy the new hardware to get the new features.

Just wish TT would beta test more intensively and then cock ups like this wouldn't happen.

Andy
Hughesynights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of those cheap 920T (from Currys) and straight away loaded it with 8.3 navcore, v7 TTS (thanks to this thread) and 815 map (thanks to LMG).
Now I've got something like a 930 for £100 less. Nice one.

Tomtom might have a few bugs, but they are still much easier to use and have more innovative features than their competition.

I only wish they would make HD traffic available on the x20 / x30. I've already got (more than one) mobile phone with unlimited data plans, so I didn't see the point in a PND with a SIM card in it. Surely the same data can be sent by the bluetooth / GPRS system already implemented?
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do without IQ routing. If the junction is that complicated I would rather be looking where I'm going than at a GPS which I have no confidence in. If the junction is straight forward I don't need IQ. I think DennisN summed it up very well ....

DennisN wrote:
AlandEi wrote:
I am sure that they may have to start removing some features from future software updates, to enable others to work reasonably well.
They have already been doing this for the last two years! Sneaky start was when they took out a few angles on bends in roads on the maps. And it's gone downhill ever since. In their rush to introduce new marketable features, they have (starting with the x10 range) ignored faults in their software at the price of getting out the latest feature they've dreamed up. Such a shame, because the devices have brilliant features, if only they'd work. Half completed work is being released all the time. "Hands free navigation dialogue" which required several screen taps to start off, then allowed us three voice recognition calls before reverting to taps, was a prime example of hopeless implementation of a terrific idea.

I too am convinced they've broken it now. By sticking with the ancient hardware of processor and RAM and also reducing the internal storage capacity, they've crossed the rubicon of tolerance. I would not be surprised if the x40 turned out to be the last TomTom. I shall be the first to express complete sadness at that, because I've enjoyed the TT devices, despite them becoming less and less stable.
[/quote]
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too feel it is a processor and RAM problem.
Time for Tomtom to take stock of all their past units and bring out a 2009 High grade unit that is up to the job.
Come on Tomtom, you are a market leader, but if you do not address the above problems including the problems with Home, then the outlook for you looks bleak.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

I know everyone is moaning, but TT aren't actually under any obligation to keep adding new functionality to older models. A lot of other manufacturers don't bother - you have to buy the new hardware to get the new features.

I know they release updates where other companies do not, but when you pay for something, and it doesn't work as it should, then this is out of order. You have to install the latest software to run the latest map. And then they say that they will not extend the 12 months map upgrades that I have purchased as the map works OK. But I have had to return to the previous version to get the thing to work like it is supposed to!!!
And You buy the tomtom because it is upgradeable, and not just left until you purchase a new unit, or so I thought.
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone taken Tomtom to court? Maybe its time as they obviously do give a s**t. Prehaps through this site get a collective action going. There is enough disgruntled people on here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 16 of 49

Jump to: