Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To change or not to change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To change or not to change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: To change or not to change Reply with quote

I have had a go 500 since they first came out, it works fine but I have the original map on it which is extremely out of date. I see on the Tom Tom site it would cost me around £40 to upgrade the map. I am quite unsure if its worth upgrading a unit that is so old.....as it is really as technology goes and a new unit can be bought for double the price of a map and comes with new warranty etc...or if it is better the devil you know and sticking with it and spending the £40.

I am not bothered about a replacement unit having bluetooth etc as I have never really used it. However I do see that many of the new units only have memory preinstalled and no memory card facility, is this a downside?

any advice greatfully accepted. Smile
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really happy with what you've got, then why spend an unnecessary £40 extra just now? As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't mend it". You can then buy a new one later if and when new facilities really appeal to you (and prices, in any case, will have probably dropped anyway). But check the new facilities available now in case they are of use to you.

If you do get a new one, then as far as memory goes, I think that capacity increases in internal memory have reduced the need for an external card - you need to check that you will have sufficient memory for any extras you want to add, such as Points of Interest, language files or whatever.
bif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reply. My main problem is my map is so out of date. Half the roads are missing and some streets are one ways now!!! Some have roundabouts instead of crossroads, the list goes on!

I really need to update, but its either new device or new map, and I am not sure which is the better option.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bif,

I have a TT710 since it was launched, and no problems with it. In that time I updated the maps only once.
I think you have to have a look at what driving you do and what facilities on the Satnav you use. if you drive around the UK on hols visits etc on a regular basis, then I would get a map update for definite.

The next bit is more tricky, I use the handsfree and is a must for me, also noticed that updates for the 710 were few and far between compared to the other models. Are TT going to provide continuing support for the older models?

For around £150 you can buy a 520/720, with the updates now available and the free update to a new map included with Promotion code in the box, then you end up with a machine with spec only a little short of the newest models with all the latest lane assist etc.

It's for you to decide if you want to spend that much.
Also there are other models like the XL to have a look at to see if they fit your needs better.

I recently bought a 720 and very pleased with it, just a few thoughts.

Good luck,

Bob
bif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bob, I can see your points on the support side of older models. Most of my usage is around London and the home counties. I don't use the bluetooth function anymore as I found it better with an ear piece. I don't even use the voices anymore! I do however use the camera location side of it, which reminds me I need to pay here for that!!!

The mapshare idea appeals enormously but how good exactly is it? Would I get that with a new map or just a new model?
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am still using a TTG 500 and I am happy to stay with it until I can afford a better one.
It has been updated to the latest Navcore that will run on it and I have the latest available maps.
Regarding the cost of the maps, The price is 40 euros, not pounds, and that equates to about £30 pounds, which is a lot less than buying a new device.

Quote:
The mapshare idea appeals enormously but how good exactly is it? Would I get that with a new map or just a new model?

I think the mapshare idea is excellent. If you have the latest navcore and an up to date map it will work on your device. You can select what type of mapshares you want from just using your own changes to those checked by Tom Tom and right down to those changes that have been made by only a few.
bif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for reply. I had look again at the tom tom website for the uk map and it is in british pounds and is just under £40!!!

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=1011&Language=1&P=4981
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ! I stand corrected. Embarassed
I looked up the price I paid a few months ago.
bif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame, £30 a good price!!!! Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: