Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 940 camera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 940 camera alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: GO 940 camera alerts Reply with quote

I recently mentioned this in another thread but I thought this deserved one of its own:

I just got a GO 940 LIVE two days ago and I have to say it's an excellent unit except for the "safety camera" (speed camera) alerts which are patchy at best.

One of the main reasons I chose this unit for my upgrade was because TomTom boast about their tie-up with Road Angel for the camera alerts plus others. As until last week I used a Road Angel alongside my old GO 910 this sounded perfect for me.

How wrong I was! On just a few journeys I have found as many wrong or missing cameras as correct ones and yes, it has been updated. Many Gatso locations are shown with a (?) as the speed limit or are marked incorrectly as mobile locations and some of the variable gantrys on the western M25 were not shown at all or were on the screen but did not trigger the audible warning. Not good so far...

What also seems odd is that my trusty old Road Angel reports all these perfectly so what's going on? Duff data being supplied to TomTom? TomTom's updates not working properly? Also, the look and feel of the "new" system seems all too similar to the old TomTom in-house system.

I could go back to using both systems but the main reason for opting for the 940 was to avoid this, or I could load the PGPSW camera data and forget about the TomTom data but then that means regular manual updates instead of automatic ones.

Is anyone else having the same problems?
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: GO 940 camera alerts Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
or I could load the PGPSW camera data and forget about the TomTom data but then that means regular manual updates instead of automatic ones.

You still have to update via HOME to get fixed camera updates with the x40 so it's no simpler!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: GO 940 camera alerts Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:

I just got a GO 940 LIVE two days ago and I have to say it's an excellent unit except for the "safety camera" (speed camera) alerts which are patchy at best.

I think that you have answered your own question above. Get the far superior PGPSW database and do the little bit of extra work installing them. You will then have the best of both worlds. Very Happy
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both the PGPSW and TomTom. As the Irish say, "To be sure, to be sure"
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon a technophobe would find it much simpler to plug their device into their PC and tick a box or whatever to get the cameras updated to doing it the POI way.

The initial set up of the PGPSW ones is not easy (even with instructions, for the less PC able), after it has been done once it is easier, the spoken warnings are brilliant though so I hope that the new TT ones will incorporate this kind of alert, not just a beep beep.

If the TT ones do work as they "should" I reckon it would be by far the best solution to the Camera "problem".
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
The initial set up of the PGPSW ones is not easy (even with instructions, for the less PC able), after it has been done once it is easier, the spoken warnings are brilliant though so I hope that the new TT ones will incorporate this kind of alert, not just a beep beep.

If you think setting up the PGPSW database is difficult then getting spoken alerts working on the x40 range is possible but troublesome to say the least with quite a lot of messing around with sound editor software audio leads, PC and worst of all lots of time. Without all the messing around you get the simple Beep Beep Beeps Crying or Very sad - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I reckon a technophobe would find it much simpler to plug their device into their PC and tick a box or whatever to get the cameras updated to doing it the POI way.

Of course, that's why TT don't allow 3rd parties to offer that install method.

But I'd rather a bit of messing if it meant I had the best data, TomTom's is laughable, I'd rather drive everywhere at 30mph than trust it.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to do with the PC ability of the person using the device, I feel comfortable doing most things on a PC, and would strive to get the spoken alerts because I think they are great, however someone who has no idea that you should do a Windows Backup, has no idea what they can do configuration wise of the TT would probably settle for the beep beep.

I just consider it more straightforward for that person to plug their TT into their PC and tick the box that says Update Cameras or whatever than extract the data from a zip file and then ensure it goes in the correct place, that involves some PC knowledge and some of the people I know would have no interest, or in fact understanding of how it all works.

Just a bit sad that I am such a geek I suppose Wink

P.S. It is a shame TomTom don't let you install your Camera Database that way as it would indeed then be the complete package.
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: GO 940 camera alerts Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
Is anyone else having the same problems?

I've had nothing but problems with the safety cameras on my 940. At first it wouldn't install upates to the safety camera. After two phone calls to TT support, it now won't even show or alert me about the cameras it seemed to know about a few days ago before the support team got me mucking about....
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the points made here- the PGPSW data is the best around Laughing but also the most involved to install. Also do Road Angel think it will do their reutation any good being associated with this latest rubbish data set from TomTom? However to cotradict this RA's MD seemed to suggest on another thread here that the data they were supplying was the same as that used in their own (very reliable) units so does this mean TomTom are up to something?

I have this morning gone back to the PGPSW data and I'll wait and see if the TT data improves but I won't hold my breath...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
However to cotradict this RA's MD seemed to suggest on another thread here that the data they were supplying was the same as that used in their own (very reliable) units so does this mean TomTom are up to something?

I think that is a reasonable conclusion. We have found inaccuracies in their data but the large number of issues reported here would suggest the main issue is one the integration or delivery by TomTom and not RA's data.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I think that is a reasonable conclusion. We have found inaccuracies in their data but the large number of issues reported here would suggest the main issue is one the integration or delivery by TomTom and not RA's data.

I'd agree with that Darren.

I don't understand why TT seem to be reluctant to do the small amount of work that would be necessary to add the best camera alert system to what is already the best navigation unit in the world.

All they would need to do is:
1: Reliable locations and types. (Already provided by RA)
2: Allow user additions, not just reporting. (A bit like mapshare)
3: Allow spoken alerts (Already possible for POIs)
4: Introduce a constant warning from the alert distance right up to the location, ideally with a tone change to indicate above or below the speed limit. (Not difficult)
5: Larger on-screen icons. (Not difficult)

Easy if they put their minds to it!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
All they would need to do is:
1: Reliable locations and types. (Already provided by RA)

And by us!
Quote:
2: Allow user additions, not just reporting. (A bit like mapshare)

As we do.
Quote:
3: Allow spoken alerts (Already possible for POIs)

As we do
Quote:
5: Larger on-screen icons. (Not difficult)

Again as we do.

Save yourself the bother and use ours, a 100% open service, with full feedback AND Lifetime Subscription offers. Oh and better data.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, you don't need to sell them to me- I already have a lifetime subscription! The point I am making is that TT really ought to get it right as their paperclip expenditure is probably bigger than PGPSW's total annual budget. At least someone can get it right. First
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst Cameras ever.

Even the latest update still didn't fix them.

I sware they just go to pubs and ask people roughly where cameras are and throw darts at where they think they might be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: