Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper? Reply with quote

Hi, short-time reader and new forum member here!

I'm just wondering if the PGW speedcam database is ever offered at a discount or otherwise cheaper than it currently is. I don't do a whole lot of driving so I really can't justify dropping £19 on it when that same £19 would get me map updates for my TT for a year..

I'd drop a tenner on PGW speedcam updates for a year without thinking, but £20 requires more consideration and at the moment I can't justify it.. but if there are ever any offers (Christmas? Summer? something else?) then please let me know so I can hold my breathe til then Smile

/cry
MichaelMann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently thought I'd been done by a couple of mobile cameras and had the potential of receiving two £60 fines and six points. I decided to look at getting a sat nav with safety warnings. In my opinion the PGPSW database is the best available as it goes on my TT which I like using

I joined, subscribed and sumitted the camera sites, I've now received lifetime membership Very Happy

If you did get points/fined for doing say 33 in a 30 zone when you were somewhere new and were unaware of camera sites would you look back and think I wish I'd invested the £19? It's less than a third of the price of any potential fine. Personally speaking I'd rather have a full years use of downloads from here than a TT map updates but each to their own. Maybe at Xmas you could ask someone to get you the subscription for a present?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper? Reply with quote

cry wrote:
£19 on it when that same £19 would get me map updates for my TT for a year..
/cry

You don't say which TomTom you have, nor which map is currently on the device, but I am sure that you won't get a year's updates for £19.00

In order to get a year's worth of map updates, you would have to upgrade your current map to the latest and then subscribe to the update offer. The cost of the initial upgrade would depend on the age of the current map. The update for my UK&ROI map for a 520 cost £13.90 (75% discount) and the update subscription cost me £27.80 for the 4 updates in the year, clearly not £19.00

You cannot just buy the subscription as a standalone update path.

Additionally, you would not get the Safety Camera updates from TomTom with that subscription, you would need to subscribe a further £19.99 per year.

You can't beat the value represented by a PGPSW Camera subscription, I assure you.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't do a whole lot of driving so I really can't justify dropping £19 on it when that same £19 would get me map updates for my TT for a year..

If you don't do many miles what's the chance of you coming across a new/altered road on updated maps? Usually updated every 12 months or so.

With speed cams mobile sites, especially, can appear anwhere, so personally I think it's better to cover yourself with the PGPSW database. Updated weekly.

Once subscribed, a fraction over 5p per day, you not only get access to the database, and the possibility of getting lifetime membership under certain circumstances, but also be able to enter the monthly competition and get discounts on certain items.

It's your choice but as MichaelMann says, is a £60 fine better? That's equivalent to 3 years subscription.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the support and helpful advice you get from the management,moderators and members its worth the £19 alone .
Its not just the speed camera data base but its other things you get such the voice warnings ,the POI data base,Icons created by Gerry C and if you are the first to submit a new camera or a change to one you get free life membership

I do understand that not doing many miles a year can you warrant the expense I was in the same position as you but I would not be without it and it is just £19
cry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper? Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
You don't say which TomTom you have, nor which map is currently on the device, but I am sure that you won't get a year's updates for £19.00

Well, I'm a recent TT user, and if you want proof, check out http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tomtommapupdatese1.png

I am on a limited budget, and if I had a choice of spending £20 on a year's worth of new maps, or £20 on a year's worth of speed camera updates, the mappage would win every time. Like I said, I don't drive that much and I don't speed that much either, but I _would_ like to know where speed cameras are, just in case. Speed camera information, to _me_ (and my driving pattens) is worth £10/yr, but not £20/yr.

I understand for hardcore drivers who clock up 1000s of miles a year, and where time is money, that £20/yr can represent excellent value for speed cameras, but for me it is excessive and if i'm going to spend any more money on my TT (The cheapest in the shop, ONE v3 UK), then I'd spend money on maps rather than speed cameras.

I understand you guys think £20/yr for speed cameras is excellent value, I'm not knocking that, but my question still stands... is there ever any time where the speed camera database offered cheaper, or maybe a cheaper tariff whereby I can pay £10/yr for monthly updates rather than fortnightly updates or some such?

Thanks for your comments so far!

/cry
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back there was an option of £2 per month or £19 per year, some people took it upon themselves to pay £2 then sell the data or spread it via certain sites, PGPSW decided there would be less chance of piracy if people paid £19 per year and faced the possibilty of being banned and their subscription forfeited, it appears to have worked as there is far less piracy now. It looks like your choice will be speed cams or maps.

Edit. Just checked your link. TT £19.80 but you'll find there are no mobiles in that database and it will not be as accurate as this.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 4 packets of cigarettes Wink ???

A bottle of wine in a good restaurant ??

4 gallons of fuel ???

12 minutes labour to have your car serviced ???

Smile

looks cheap to me !! but I do fully understand your point !! you pays your money and you make your choice on what is important to you to spend your money on !! we are all not the same
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

Edit. Just checked your link. TT £19.80 but you'll find there are no mobiles in that database and it will not be as accurate as this.

In fairness to the OP, the link does say 'Map update' not Safety Camera update, but yes, the PGPSW Database is far superior.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and, of course, if you submit a new camera or correction which qualifies for FREE lifetime subscription, you'll find it very hard to find it cheaper than free Wink

Although you might not do a huge amount of driving, local cameras may change, speed limits may be amended, a mobile camera might appear on your doorstep etc so it's not inconceivable for low mileage motorists to qualify.

It's also worth remembering that PGPSW endeavour to provide WEEKLY updates, so you can be sure that your cameras are always as up to date as they possibly can be
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper? Reply with quote

cry wrote:
Speed camera information, to _me_ (and my driving pattens) is worth £10/yr, but not £20/yr.

Really??

1 camera = £60 + 3 points

Thus, you only need to be warned of 1 camera to stand saving £41 during the course of that year.

To be really pedantic, if you're a careful driver and never speed, the camera information would be worth £0.00/yr because you'd never get caught speeding
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fairness to the OP, the link does say 'Map update' not Safety Camera update,
Only looked at the price, assumed it was for maps. Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper? Reply with quote

cry wrote:
my question still stands... is there ever any time where the speed camera database offered cheaper, or maybe a cheaper tariff whereby I can pay £10/yr for monthly updates rather than fortnightly updates or some such?

No. Your call.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing price drops, BOGOfs, Buy now pay in 2017 or any other offer would also be a good way of Peev'ing the others who have paid the £19 already.

Honestly, if you can run a car ( insurance, tax, fuel etc ) - then I really think £19 is not too much money, if you want what is arguably the most accurate and dynamic database.

Pay the £19, keep your eyes peeled, and if you register a new camera then you may get the lifetime subscription anyway.
cry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is the speed cam database ever on offer for cheaper? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
cry wrote:
my question still stands... is there ever any time where the speed camera database offered cheaper, or maybe a cheaper tariff whereby I can pay £10/yr for monthly updates rather than fortnightly updates or some such?

No. Your call.

Thanks for the answer to my question!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: