Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin V's Mio
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin V's Mio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: garmin V's Mio Reply with quote

Ok all you great Guys out there, I hope you can help me.
I left here in France to see my brother in the UK with my Mio map 3.2 and in the middle of deepest darkest france my Mio Died, I was totaly lost ha ha, however I got to the UK in the end and decided to buy a Garmin 760 I updated to the latest maps Europe 2009 Free I might add and set it all up.
I then found that my Mio had had a problem with the card so I reinstalled everything on it and it worked fine. I have just returned to the south of france having traveled almost 1500 Km's with both GPS's working together and found that the Garmin was always trying to put me on the auto routes (Tolls routes) as it said either the fastest route or the shortest unlike the Mio which has avoid toll routes but ok for motor ways, and did not give me enough information about speed and other things unlike the Mio. I could not stop it. I like the idea of blue tooth for the phone but do not like the map presentation. Well, after all this the bottom line is can someone tell me how to put the Mio map on this Garmin 760 and which version would I need.
regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be possible to run the IO application on the Garmin as it uses its own OS which will only accept Garmin maps and software, forget the idea - if you don't want the Garmin try contacting the vendor for a return and send it back your brother might play a part in taking it back - if its unfit for the purpose intended - i.e. the navigation isn't to the expected standard - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought garmins had an 'avoid toll roads' option under settings navigation/route?

MaFt
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Garmin V's Mio Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mike and MaFt I did find the avoid toll roads and checked it but that was the problem, it still tried to put me on the toll roads, when the Mio was great all the way from Calais to Nice, I just do not understand it at all, must be my age. Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think mio use teleatlas map data where as garmin use navteq. it could be something as 'simple' as navteq having a different definition of what constitutes a toll road?

MaFt
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Garmin V's Mio Reply with quote

MaFt
You are quite right about the maps, so I will keep trying to get used to it. I also read your review on the 710 which was very interesting, however there was nowhere in it about changing the time only the area At the moment my clock is on westen Europe time but as I bought the Nuvi in the UK it is on GMT, I now wish to change the time to one hour ahead of GMT which it is showing at the moment, how the heck do I do that ?
regards
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should update itself once it has a satellite fix?

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it should update itself once it has a satellite fix?

Confirmed. Has it been an hour ahead for nearly 2 weeks now?

Check it is set to Europe - West - Tools, Settings, Time.

Also check Daylight Saving is set to Auto
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: garmin V,s Mio Reply with quote

I have checked everything and it is set at europe west and auto for daylight settings,
I have had it for two weeks, and I really cannot remember what it was in the UK before the clocks changed. I arrived back in France on Wednesday and have used it for about 16 hours for my trip back to the south of france, and it shows GMT instead of the correct time in France, which as you know is one hour ahead of UK time I switched it on today and left it outside for about one hour to see if it changed but it has not.
regards
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Garmin V,s Mio Reply with quote

Ok guys I have found the problem, I changed the time settings from Europe West to Europe Central and the time has changed and its ok now, thanks for the interest from you all.
regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: