Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:
UPDATE: Live services now stooped working.

Interesting - I've just turned mine on, and am now seeing the caution/triangle icon for traffic, and message "Unable to connect to server" where it was all fine this morning.

Just followed that with a powercycle, and it has sat there for several minutes saying "retrieving traffic information" and nothing else....spoke too soon, it's just gone to "Unable to connect to server"

Is there some problem at the TT end with their servers?

See messages above, HD Traffic Service is down

To add insult to injury MRS has advised the GPRS service is working well today!!!!
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:

Yes, seen that thanks - wasn't there when I hit reply Rolling Eyes
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely some LIVE service issues.

The safety cameras are clearly and most definitely severely broken.

Its not that the database is inferior to the one published by this site...but there are classic cameras missing...I mean really obvious ones...like those on the M25 around Heathrow.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Camera's

In Chesterfield today the new "Premium Live" cameras on the 540 were missing 3 fixed sites that have been there 3+ Years

These ones are happily shown in the "Standard Camera Services in use on my other device 720"

So there are so real hiccups between the information being used.

Standard New Users Beta Testing for TomTom and this time will be paying £7.99 for the honor!!!!
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:

All seems to have just come back up to me:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=436703#436703
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of traffic being reported right now - 180 incidents, which is more than I have seen at any time since I bought it. This, incidentally, also includes the stretch of the A405 down to the M25, where I encountered traffic on Tuesday night with no HD report.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that there will be teething problems but the feedback thus far doesn't seem to support a charging regime of £7 (ish) per month........... (after the free trial)
Floriank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, traffic jam I sat in last night (as per my posting earlier in this thread) is reported tonight - obviously, its a daily event on this stretch of road - it seems the system is still being updated and fully implemented.

Gives me hope for the future.....

As for Safety Cameras, drove past two more today and none are on the system, not a single one. This part is obviously still broken. Just wondering if anybody has seen ANY camera alerts so far, I certainly haven't.

Florian
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floriank wrote:
Just wondering if anybody has seen ANY camera alerts so far, I certainly haven't.Florian

Seen a few. Also reported was a point where I've seen a mobile twice in about 5 years (passing twice a week). PGPSW also reported the same location.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom should be happy to have you guys beta testing their new product and services! Very Happy
I think I'll stick to my 720 with TMC for a while until I see proof of these new services actually working. Well, as a matter of fact I have no option at present, since HD traffic is not yet available in Sweden. Smile
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
TomTom should be happy to have you guys beta testing their new product and services! Very Happy
I think I'll stick to my 720 with TMC for a while until I see proof of these new services actually working. Well, as a matter of fact I have no option at present, since HD traffic is not yet available in Sweden. Smile

I doubt that you'll be any better when it comes out there. The problem is neither the hardware or the software - it's the data that it seems to me (and others judging by posts here) falls short. I suspect (hope?) that it is because it is new here and that it will mature with time.

I can't really tell yet - just drove 80 miles up the M1. The only traffic incident (missed by HD) was slightly slower traffic (1-2 min delay) behind a rolling roadblock, but that sort of thing I wouldn't expect to be practical to report anyway.
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope the he traffic and cams are not final or considered finished because they are truly shocking when compared to a£19 a year cam subscription or tmc traffic. On my route to work I get ~5 old false locations and 3 missed specs. It must be anciently out of date.

Traffic reported a 2 min delay 12 mins away that took me 40 minutes to get to - go figure.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from Edinburgh where I was inbound about 17:00. I knew exactly where I was going so I left the 540 on the overhead map display set to show traffic.....after it eventually connected again!

Areas I was expecting to see incidents were Northbound on the A90 to wards the Forth Road bridge, around the Gogar and Hermiston junctions, which link the M8 and the A8 which make up the arterial routes in/out of Edinburgh and the ringroads around Edinburgh.

As we crossed the bridge southbound to wards Edinburgh, there was a slight build up of traffic heading north wards to wards the bridge, but no report from the HDT. The junctions around the M8 and A8 were starting to show a slight build up on HDT, which local radio confirmed. One thing I did notice of what HDT was showing was the length of buildup and severity increased after every update which gave me some confidence in it's accuracy. Shortly (10/15min) after passing the Traffic heading northbound to wards the bridge, HDT reported this congestion, and after a few updates it appeared to be as accurate as I have every seen any traffic info for the length, (almost within a mile) however it's estimation of how long it would take to clear was somewhat ambitious. Judging by the speed & volume, it would take more than 8min to clear the section of road it referred to.
This again was the case when passing through Queensferry Road (A90) another arterial route out of Edinburgh. As we passed heading into town, the congested traffic heading out of town was not reported. By this time the volume was substantial. In fairness, within a few updates (so around 6min) it was reporting this traffic, and again as accurate as I have ever seen as far as the length of congestion, however with the estimation still somewhat overly generous.

On the return journey, we encountered some congestion leaving Edinburgh and what I can say Is as I was watching the road ahead/behind of me fill up, I was able to then watch it on the HDT which was impressive, bearing in mind what we've had for traffic info in the past. Correctly so, as the traffic began flowing again, it also reduced the level of congestion waiting a matter of a few updates.

I also checked in on some roadworks that I knew would be causing problems in Dundee around the A90. Again I was able to watch as HDT updated the length and severity of the congestion to wards the roadworks, and also the effects it was having on approaching roads. Which all seemed reasonably accurate from experence.

The issues I'm still missing from HDT, but are present on SDT are the reports of roadworks. lane restrictions, contraflows and road closures. I accept that these issues may not cause traffic problems all the time, but I'd like to at least know about them so I am better informed. Afterall, I/we are told that HDT offerers us everything and more that SDT offered us, which doesn't seem to be the case for me right now.

Impressed, but not convinced.

Update: New traffic error message just in: "No Data availible" and the little yellow triangle. Rolling Eyes
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will somebody let me know when Beta testing of HDT and IQ2 are completed, please. Might be tempted if they ever work!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Will somebody let me know when Beta testing of HDT and IQ2 are completed, please. Might be tempted if they ever work!

That's what the 3 months free "trial" is for Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: