Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic retailer stock and purchase
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic retailer stock and purchase
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone with a unit tell me what happens when they try to use the latest map guarantee.

It should respond with, either a map, or a confirmation that you already have the latest map.

But mine says "The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom Device"

DO others get the same?
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Can anyone with a unit tell me what happens when they try to use the latest map guarantee.

It should respond with, either a map, or a confirmation that you already have the latest map.

But mine says "The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom Device"

DO others get the same?

Mine says the same got my 940 this morning from Handtec via City Link. However I think its because TOMTOM think i still have my old 720 tied to the email address I have sent them proof of purchase to swap them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Same here Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
Mine says the same got my 940 this morning from Handtec via City Link. However I think its because TOMTOM think i still have my old 720 tied to the email address I have sent them proof of purchase to swap them.

Why not just create a new account for the 940?
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Same here Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
playswell wrote:

Why not just create a new account for the 940?

I thought that might be it..so I created a new account and it still comes up with the same.

Incidentally...if you change your email address in your old Tomtom account and then create a new one with the original email address...it all goes horribly wrong. The traffic/camera services login still seems tied to the old address (it is supposed to change)..and any helpdesk tickets fail to move as well.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the consensus like on these new units?

When I first bought the 520 the software (and hardware come to think of it) was about as reliable as a chocolate teapot... are we hoping for better this time round?

Last edited by Skwark on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
What's the consensus like on these new units?

Seems okay to me - about the same as my ONE v2 in terms of UI, except for the widescreen. Since the 520 came out between these I expect it's about the same, and so I guess we'll be disagreeing on this one.

EDIT - the performance in terms of re-drawing maps is probably slightly slower than my ONE, when zooming out to a large area, so it's by no means lightening fast, but it does the job.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the software and hardware faults of being an early 520 user that left a bitter taste, rather than the actual software features/performance. I won't bring it all up again, but you seem confident with the X40 in its ability to do the job and that's what counts.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
It was the software and hardware faults of being an early 520 user that left a bitter taste, rather than the actual software features/performance. I won't bring it all up again, but you seem confident with the X40 in its ability to do the job and that's what counts.

I think its a fair question to ask. But as we are just starting to play with our new toys, it is much too early to say if there are issues lurking and waiting to be found. So far, so good...thats all I can say for now.
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Working well Reply with quote

In particular the HD traffic seems "like a breath of fresh air" in comparison to TMC, and the GPS based i used on my 720. very fast at "seeing" the incidents, and "clearing when the road is clear again..so far more than i expected
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.carelectronicsltd.co.uk/ are now selling 540's to 'Walk In' Customers. £299. Had "Almost 200" mid afternoon today.

Have unboxed it and had a very brief play with it. Build quality and early impressions of the stability seems good (internal speaker MUCH better than the x30's!). Will try and get a chance to comment further when I've had a chance this evening. Can't upload pics as I don't have my USB lead for my phone I'm afraid. Sad
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Working well Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
In particular the HD traffic seems "like a breath of fresh air" in comparison to TMC, and the GPS based i used on my 720. very fast at "seeing" the incidents, and "clearing when the road is clear again..so far more than i expected

One thing I am dissapointed with the active mount HAS no outputs or inputs apart from the mini usb for power. This is dissapointing as I wanted to use TMC if out of the country.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Working well Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
One thing I am dissapointed with the active mount HAS no outputs or inputs apart from the mini usb for power. This is dissapointing as I wanted to use TMC if out of the country.

The current TMC receiver uses mini-USB. I'm not sure if the earlier one works with the full featured mount which has the requisite input.
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Working well Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
playswell wrote:

The current TMC receiver uses mini-USB. I'm not sure if the earlier one works with the full featured mount which has the requisite input.

Darren No v13 has a straight gold plated "jack" type connector..........or have i missed something?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Working well Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
Darren No v13 has a straight gold plated "jack" type connector..........or have i missed something?

Yes Smile That was superceded some months back by a mini-USB version. Your power lead plugs into the TMC Receiver's side and it's mini-USB plug connects to your device.

playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Working well Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
playswell wrote:

Yes Smile That was superceded some months back by a mini-USB version. Your power lead plugs into the TMC Receiver's side and it's mini-USB plug connects to your device.

so now I have to buy a new RDS-TMC as well ? ffs

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: