Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic retailer stock and purchase
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic retailer stock and purchase
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'kay, tha'nks f'or the ex'plana'tion! Laughing
retrospek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well City-Link have been already and I've now got a nice new TomTom 540.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting on Citylink but it does say out for delivery.

To be honest there is ONLY one courier I Have problems with in my area and that is DHL. I have had a lot of packages delivered whether for work or personal use by almost every other courier, and DHL is the only one in the 2 years I have lived here that has messed up....twice. DHL keep outsourcing to 3rd parties who can't find the address.

So when people write Citylink is terrible...or HDNL is useless...really it depends on your area. What is good on one area might be the worst ever in another.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't excuse any driver deliberately carding instead of knocking, but I have to say I think it's a bit unlikely.

Some of my examples of "unlikely" behaviour:

I was in my Kitchen, saw him pull up, think he even saw me and he came to my door and put a card straight through without knocking.

I have also had one who sat in the van without even getting out!!!

Also had someone "allegedly" leave £130 worth of books outside my house, that should have been signed for, but they were just left, I then nearly faced a court order for not paying for something I never received

Last edited by carl_the_cobbler on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll recall how I tried to cancel from Halfords when I ordered from Dabs instead, but they said it was too late, but that I could simply return it unopened to any Halfords shop.

Frankly I was a little worried that the one from Halfords would arrive first, and that I'd be tempted to open it.

Well, they have just *both* arrived on the same DHL van!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!!! Very Happy
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Nice one!!! Very Happy

Yeah, and the really nice thing is my new 540 will even tell me where the nearest Halfords is Thumbs Up Clap
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased you have your new "toy" as it would appear you have been looking forward to having a play for quite awhile. Please keep us informed of the delights of it, looking at the video from this site of the device's use in Central London it looks as though it is a very good piece of equipment that should help you people who drive long distances, and maybe some who don't drive that far but just like playing, I would count myself as the latter but don't reckon I can justify the purchase to the better half in fact I know she would kill me Very Happy

Enjoy!!

P.S. So that means your local Halfords will have one in stock, where is it? Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Please keep us informed of the delights of it

P.S. So that means your local Halfords will have one in stock, where is it? Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

So far so good. Not actually used it to navigate yet but seems to work - can plan routes, see traffic info &c.

Fuel prices doesn't work, as it requires the data to be updated via HOME, which I can't do from work.

Apparently, there's plenty of traffic in London - looks like nearly 3/4ers of reported traffic is there. Have also seen reports of traffic from Leicester (hometown) on both the A47 and A6.

Most entertaining feature at this point is running a route demo, and seeing it adjust travel speed apparently based on IQ routes data. Seems pretty accurate from a first glance too, the travel speed shown slows right down for busy places such a where the queues for the roundabout in town typically start, and another busy set of lights - not all good though, as it thinks average speed through my industrial estate as 13mph, where the reality is most people - not me of course - exceed the 30mph speed limit by quite some margin.

I'll probably not return it today, unless I manage to finish work at a reasonable time. Nearest branch to work is St. Albans, so I'll be dropping it off there probably tonight, or tomorrow lunch.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone who's received one give any more info on the fuel voucher please? Like where it can be used and if it all needs to be used in one transaction.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived via Citylink from Handtec at 11:30 this morning (A 940)

So far the unit seems to be working...just tried starting it up...getting my location...and have now docked it to the PC to do an initial data backup (3.26GB).

The box was sealed in plastic. The GPS was in its own compartment in the box with the usual sticker over the front of the screen. The PC dock was not wrapped in plastic, and neither was the cigarette lighter adapter. As a result the dock was slightly marked by the adaptor rubbing against it. The mount was sealed in plastic and is quite a substantial piece...unlike those from the x20 and x30 models.

Note there is no remote provided even with the 940 so if you have one from a x20 or x30 series, hang onto it.

FOr the fuel offer. This is NOT a trick. But the rules are precise. AFTER 30 days but BEFORE 60 days, you must go to a website and print out a form. There is a special serial number on the inside of the sleeve from the box. After printing out the form etc, you then post it to the address supplied. And within 28 days you will get a fuel debit card back which will have 50 pounds worth of credit on it. Whether it can only be used a certain brands of petrol stations, I don't know...but this really is 50 quids worth of fuel. So effectively the GPS unit costs 50 pounds less than the price you pay for it.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
Can anyone who's received one give any more info on the fuel voucher please? Like where it can be used and if it all needs to be used in one transaction.

Was gonna ask about that as there's nothing in the box - I assumed that it was set up when you first connected via HOME.

On closer inspection, I found a webby on the box, and a code printed inside. Only problem is that the webby doesn't appear to be working right now - site returns a 403 Forbidden code :\ It does say, though "please allow at least 30 days before submitting your claim" (their underlining).

Goes on to explain (on the box) that you must print out the confirmation email (after entering the code), and submit it together with a copy of the receipt to 'the address supplied' - "you will receive your TomTom pre paid Fuel debit card within 28 days"

"... must be received between 30 and 60 days from date of purchase..."[/u]
rmines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:

The box points you to http://www.tomtompromotions.co.uk/freefuel for details. I can't access this site from work but hopefully that'll have everything you need on it...
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info but I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error with that link too.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
not all good though, as it thinks average speed through my industrial estate as 13mph, where the reality is most people - not me of course - exceed the 30mph speed limit by quite some margin.

Presumably that's because of some of the fleet lorries reporting their speeds, and they'd move slowly to find the destination. If that's the only problem, it sounds good!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: