Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps on Ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps on Ebay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our issue is not with the OP at all. We are merely pointing out that the software he purchased is pirated. I'm amazed how many here don't see pirated software as a problem!

We're not nit picking, simply pointing out that what was sold as legitimate software and has been bought as a result is pirate software i.e. stolen. He did not buy from a 'well known organisation', the seller is the eBay member and not eBay themselves. He could if he so wished file a complaint and have his money refunded.

If you disagree with our stance on these matters then this is not the site for you, we have always taken a very clear stance on piracy, the use of pirated software and discussion and support of it and we will continue to do so.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok it was cheap, but don't you think the replacements from Navman (and others) are overpriced anyway?

Using the same argument I guess it's OK to buy a stolen motor if your own had died a death. Or it's OK to buy a cracked copy of PGPSW camera database because TT doesn't include mobiles.

Quote:
Who checks on every inexpesive product they buy to check if it's a rip off or copy, live with it, the guy is happy with his purchace and it given extra life to a defunct peice of gear.

If it looks too good to be true.......Why should iGO lose a sale, it's Navman at fault NOT iGO.

Quote:
Stop nit picking, if you have a consience don't buy from ebay, go spend a fortune on a new sat nav instead, me I congratulate the buyer on his bargain, more power to his elbow.

Except it affects people like me who purchased iGO through the normal channels , too many people selling 'cracked' copies means iGO lose out on profits and will have to charge me more when I update. Using your argument maybe I should get a cracked copy of TT if iGO let me down.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the bargain in buying illegally copied software?!

how would you feel if i bought your stolen plasma tv from a bloke in the pub? would that still be a bargain?!

no one is criticising the fact that the original poster wanted to update his maps, but since he has posted what he actually bought a few have, quite rightly, pointed out that it is counterfeit software he has purchased. as a side-issue he is well within his rights to demand a refund from ebay.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 issues are:

1) Software to open the (arguably unsupported) Navman so you can run other apps - As said previously, an grey area of the Win CE Licence, but no one really looses out.
You can download free from numerous sites (search the www for Navman unlocked).

2) Using a unlicenced, cracked piece of software, what harm does that do except force DRM and excessive costs onto legitimate customers, steals from suppliers, forceing them to pass costs to legit customers, ties up law enforncement, lawyers (not always a bad thign), courts etc - the list goes on and on. It is completely undefensable

What I think, is that 20quid is a cost effective way to open the Navman an install IGO, for a average punter. The time and effort to find, download and install this software is not insignificant.

The buyer could then go an buy a legite copy of IGO, continue using the cracked version as it's installed and working (an you don't fix what aint broke). This way, you have a happy user of arguably legit software.

Not buying the legit version - thats just wrong.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic! More so, as I had been looking at some of the Ebay offers, in particular
this one Now, I am not so sure Confused Is that one legit or not Question
They offer up-to-date maps to work on the WinCE OS of my Navman. I have been offered new mapping from Navman for nearly 12 months but they have never surfaced. So what do I do.....I certainly do not want anything illegal. So, questions -
1. Where does the up-to-date mapping come from - bought legit?
2. What is the situation vis a vis Navman. Am I justified in loading whatever I like on the device - just like a computer?
3. According to the sellers description, the software is written by them so am I doing the same as buying software for my computer from the software developer?

PS Scroll right down on the web site mentioned above to see the source of all the different country maps. Wink

Last edited by Gee-Pee on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Interesting topic! More so, as I had been looking at some of the Ebay offers, in particular

Ah yes. Fox Web Design, caught selling our data and now banned! I'd say on balance that it was unlikely to be legitimate. If anyone can suggest how he can offer those maps at that price legitimately then I'm all ears!

It is the same as the one discussed here, an unlock and other software, whose and were from is anyone's guess.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:

Ah yes. Fox Web Design, caught selling our data and now banned! I'd say on balance that it was unlikely to be legitimate. If anyone can suggest how he can offer those maps at that price legitimately then I'm all ears!

It is the same as the one discussed here, an unlock and other software, whose and were from is anyone's guess.

Thanks, Darren Crying or Very sad Looks like I should think again. Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the maps available i would say it is definately igo8. also "** Text-to-Speech (TTS) voice profiles and 3D Landmarks and Terrain are supported by but not included in this product in order to ensure compatibility with as many PDA/Smartphone devices as possible." is what is stated on the igo8 website (i mentioned it in my review of the software).

MaFt
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
looking at the maps available i would say it is definately igo8. also "** Text-to-Speech (TTS) voice profiles and 3D Landmarks and Terrain are supported by but not included in this product in order to ensure compatibility with as many PDA/Smartphone devices as possible." is what is stated on the igo8 website (i mentioned it in my review of the software).

MaFt

According to the listed source maps, (2008), they come from TeleAtlas, Topmap, Constrast, MMCN, Navigo S, Epsilon GIS, CarteBlanche etc..
I wonder if they know?
Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now, as I will not be dipping my toes in Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
According to the listed source maps, (2008), they come from TeleAtlas, Topmap, Constrast, MMCN, Navigo S, Epsilon GIS, CarteBlanche etc..
I wonder if they know?
Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now, as I will not be dipping my toes in Wink

these screen shots show the igo8 map data:

the majority were from teleatlas but a handful of the eastern europe ones were from the other companies. navngo own topmap(?) so will be doubly annoyed...

MaFt
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, these people will always get buyers for their 'goods' as the current culture in this country does not see it as stealing. Whether it is sold on Ebay, passed over in the pub, sold at a boot fair or fallen of the back of that ubiquitous lorry, then it's OK,................ Cool isn't it?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect, in the case of ebay at least, that the buyers aren't in a position to know whether something is genuine or not - the buyers I have had were completely new to satnavs and clearly did not have had a clue about them. And when I sold a surplus Swiss motorway pass last year, there were a lot for sale which were clearly used (and hence illegal), but were successfully sold. Someone in this thread has already assumed that "ebay = genuine".

And, more generally, people are still inclined to trust the internet too much. While I use Amazon a lot, I have learnt to check very carefully in case 'new' book titles are in fact reprints, or that bargain sat navs are in fact discontinued lines, and hence actually overpriced.
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
Yes it was Fox web design I got it from & it looks like they have been thrown off ebay now.

It's a shame because IGO 8 looks like a really good piece of software, certainly a step up from what is on my Navman currently.

I understand your concerns about pirated software particularly with reference to pocket GPS data. The maps & software did come with POI's loaded, but no speedcams.
There was a link to www.poiplaza.com from where you can download free POI's including speed cams.
This site seems to be off line now, but if you want to check that the speedcam files are not from Pocket GPS give me an email address & I will send them to you for checking.
Regards,
Craig
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craiga wrote:
.... give me an email address & I will send them to you for checking.
piracy @ pocketgpsworld.com Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: