Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps on Ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps on Ebay
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: New Maps on Ebay Reply with quote

I have an icn 550 running the maps from around 2004. I can't get new maps from Navman, but they are available on ebay. These are TeleAtlas 2008 maps with new operating software.

Has anyone had any experience with these & if so would you recommend them, there are certainly a lot being sold.

Many Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very wary, the maps are clearly being sold as a package with other nav software that runs under WinCE.

What package that is, how good it is, whether it is legit etc are all unknowns.
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren,

I'm cautious myself, but could be worth a chance at £20 for 2008 maps & full post code support.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, at £20 it does seem a bargain. If you do make a purchase post back and let us know what maps/software were provided?
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Yes will do - the blurb on the site says they are TeleAtlas maps from Feb 2008 with UK & Europe.

Reading the feedback it's all people with older unsupported Navman sat navs 520, 550 etc & the feedback is excellent.

Will post back.
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
Bought the package - £16.50 + £2.00 postage. Arrived promptly with DVD and installation sheets. First you copy the unlocking software onto the iCN 550 and then copy across the folder known as IGO8 onto a 2GB Sd card.
When you start up the sat nav you then have the choice of starting the old or the new software.
It's a completely new user interface just using the touch screen with more features than before but with the option of having it in simple or advanced mode.
It also comes with an 88 page instruction manual in pdf format on the DVD.
I haven't used it in anger yet, just had it by the kitchen window, but all looks very promising - I can see my street for the first time ever.
Some features I really like the look of:

Will highlight the road speed limit
Night & day colour scheme can be set to auto
Can change vehicle types - Hurray when towing
Has TMC support
Has Lane Information at turns/ Motorways etc.
Enter full post Codes

There are a load of POI's pre loaded & you can enter others in kml format which is supported by POI Converter.
It all looks really good, lots of different skins & all of Europe on the maps.
I'm very pleased with it so far & with the ability to switch between old & new means I can't really go wrong.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craiga wrote:
then copy across the folder known as IGO8 onto a 2GB Sd card.
Then its illegal software, sorry to burst the bubble but I-Go is locked to the card it is supplied on so any talk of copying it to another card means it is a cracked application - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the seller?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree in general with avoidance of 'pirated' software. The suggestion here though is that Navman have long stopped supporting map updates on this unit. As long as that is so, then it seems to me that users have a reasonable expectation of being able to look for another route. Also, anyone who is able to arrange map support somehow, so that people stick with Navman, could be said to be actually doing the company a favour!

Probably too naive a view though ...
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The suggestion here though is that Navman have long stopped supporting map updates on this unit. As long as that is so, then it seems to me that users have a reasonable expectation of being able to look for another route.
So iGO have to lose out by people purchasing 'cracked' versions of their software?

Another route would have been to buy the genuine software, surley Nav'n'Go have reasonable expectation of people buying their genuine software.

It would be pretty obvious to me that a full set of maps for around £20 looks more than dodgy.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I fully agree in general with avoidance of 'pirated' software. The suggestion here though is that Navman have long stopped supporting map updates on this unit. As long as that is so, then it seems to me that users have a reasonable expectation of being able to look for another route. Also, anyone who is able to arrange map support somehow, so that people stick with Navman, could be said to be actually doing the company a favour!

Probably too naive a view though ...

Very naive. This completely replaces the Navman application and maps, the only thing left is the hardware.

The eBay seller hasn't 'arranged' map support for Navman software, he's bundled a pirated copy of iGO with a utility that hacks Navman to allow access to the underlying OS thus permitting its install.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Navman's support, that can never justify this solution.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quote:
Very naive. This completely replaces the Navman application and maps, the only thing left is the hardware.

The eBay seller hasn't 'arranged' map support for Navman software, he's bundled a pirated copy of iGO with a utility that hacks Navman to allow access to the underlying OS thus permitting its install.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Navman's support, that can never justify this solution.

OK, very naive if you insist maybe, but at least not inconsistent - as an example, I have queried in the past the hacking of Garmin's voice software by forum subscribers, which is both copyright-protected AND supported, but Darren, you specifically, replied to the effect that it wasn't PGPSW's liability, but the individual members'. No doubt a difference here too subtle for me, but it seems some forms of questionable activity seem to get a red card (even on unsupported units, so no loss to the company) while others don't even get a yellow (on supported units).

But it is clearly up to individuals how they act, and you obviously have the right to not advise people in some circumstances. But this was raised as an by craiga as to whether it was a safe purchase. I don't see why PGPSW should want to know the seller's identity for instance.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
OK, very naive if you insist maybe, but at least not inconsistent - as an example, I have queried in the past the hacking of Garmin's voice software by forum subscribers, which is both copyright-protected AND supported, but Darren, you specifically, replied to the effect that it wasn't PGPSW's liability, but the individual members'. No doubt a difference here too subtle for me, but it seems some forms of questionable activity seem to get a red card (even on unsupported units, so no loss to the company) while others don't even get a yellow (on supported units).

I don't recall ever discussing the rights and wrongs of hacking of Garmin voice software? I make a great number of posts so you'll forgive me for not being able to recall every one. Do you have a link or was this via email?

Back to this subject, I have no personal issue with the hacking a device to unlock the underlying OS (although this may be a breach of the WinCE licence, it is a 'grey' and as yet uncontested area) to allow the installation of legitimate purchased software. The issue here is that the software being installed is pirated!

Your post hints that the seller should be applauded for creating a solution to Navman's lack of support. Were that solution just the unlock to allow a Navman owner the choice to install other solutions then I'd agree but this is not the case here.
Quote:
But it is clearly up to individuals how they act, and you obviously have the right to not advise people in some circumstances. But this was raised as an by craiga as to whether it was a safe purchase. I don't see why PGPSW should want to know the seller's identity for instance.

I asked who it was so that I could check what other pirate software they were selling, perhaps this wonderful package of pirated software and maps also includes a pirated copy of our database!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Darren - it was an email I sent you about 2 months ago when I was just a bit concerned about PGPSW's possible liability in hosting posts on the subject of hacking Garmin's TTS voice software - I did not want to raise it publicly. As your reply indicated you were happy with the situation I dropped the matter).

To clarify just one point from my post:

- I certainly do not support hacking or pirating of supported software, as the copyright owner loses revenue as a result. I don't, by the way, see any real difference between the two - hacking software amounts to pirating PART of someone else's copyrighted material, usually explicitly forbidden as reverse-engineering, decompiling, etc.

- I have less of a problem if software is no longer supported; although there may still be a legal infringement, there is no revenue loss AND it helps others who would otherwise have no available solution.

I had originally assumed the latter applied in this case. But LostProperty's post rather changes things - I now have to agree with the establishment view Embarassed
tornaway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit petty don't you think, the poster only bought an advertised product from a well known organisation for a product that was no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Ok it was cheap, but don't you think the replacements from Navman (and others) are overpriced anyway?
Who checks on every inexpesive product they buy to check if it's a rip off or copy, live with it, the guy is happy with his purchace and it given extra life to a defunct peice of gear.

Stop nit picking, if you have a consience don't buy from ebay, go spend a fortune on a new sat nav instead, me I congratulate the buyer on his bargain, more power to his elbow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: