Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing would surprise me. They've acted very badly in this area and that of the SDK and of course the debacle of HOME and their allowing it to be used as a virtually un-policed conduit for POIs, Cursors, and other work created by content authors and then effectively stolen.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the use of Home to 'refresh the mapsettings.cfg file does not work in my case...

Using the latest Mac version of Home (2.6.3.313), it will not allow me to operate my 720 with either the 8.35/8.3 or 8.25/8.302 combinations...

Once again I have had to type in all the camera warnings from scratch.

Also, my 720 is once again starting up inside the case (no possible contact with the on button) and the previous workaround of a pin reset does not seem to cure it this time. Unless the route is cleared - it seems to switch itself off after a short time - the battery is flattened.

Does Tomtom use Shakespeare's monkeys to write the code?
jurowla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Froggy.

I am using a PC so cannot speak for MAC users however I can say that refreshing the mapsettings.cfg file works for me providing that you first delete the present, newly formed mapsettings.cfg file from the map folder, and that your "Operate My Device" emulator has the latest software download compatable with the latest firmware.

If you just paste it in it will cause problems when you switch on and go directly into looping mode. You must use the emulator to create a compatible file containing the old info and the new arbitrary poi.

It saves, as Darren stated all my old settings and it saves me lots of re typing. Can you try it on a friends PC?
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurowla wrote:
I posted this on the yourtomtom site. I can assure you that it has worked for me every time

"I had the same because the mapsettings.cfg file is replaced and old ones are not compatible with new maps. I did the following to save me having to type in all the warnings again.

From my backup (which you have of course!) I copied my old mapsettings.cfg file and (after saving the new mapsettings.cfg to my desktop) pasted it into the WE map folder.

Doing this will cause the famous "Looping" scenario so I opened up Home and using "Operate My Device" function I saved a random POI to "Add to Favourites" which effectively re wrote the mapsettings.cfg file into an acceptable format.

Disconnected the TT and Voila! all the old settings back in-place. If this does not work for you just put the saved mapsettings.cfg file from the new download back into the map folder.

This saved me having to reset all the camera warnings and kept my Favourites as well.

Thanks - worked like a treat...
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it does not work on a PC either.

Before the map/application update, 'Operate my Go' worked (as well as it ever does), but post update, it tells me I cannot install computer voices as they are not compatible with my device (720) and the 'Operate my Go' is dimmed out and claimed incompatible. Exactly the same whether I use my Mac or my PC laptop Twisted Evil

I await with bated breath an update which does not cause 30 page forum discussions...

Incidentally, I can no longer use the SD card in a card reader with Home - this also worked pre update.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a pin reset on your 720???
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times Twisted Evil
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fallen foul of this issue when getting latest map update, knowing of the prevous problem I'd made a backup of the mapsettings file Very Happy
However my smugness was short lived, but a quick visit to this site yet again saved my bacon

I used the afore mentioned instructions to create FAVS file. However I prefer the original settings for POI so I used Poiedit to do a bit of spring cleaning and re-entered the ones I wanted using Lat/Long.
Please could someone tell me what the folder is called now so I can save a copy for future updates - apologies if I've missed it in the thread.
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obeone, have you used POIEdit to sort out the MapSettings.cfg file then saved the output as an ov2 POI file? - if so you put the file in your current active map folder which will be something like "UK&ROI" or "Western_Europe" - MIke
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
Thanks for prompt reply. Yes I did this but the 'Navigate to/Favorite was empty and I had to go via Navigate to/POI/Favs, then had the listed by proximity thing.
Have I made an error here? Wonder if I placed the file 'outside' the map folder??

Prefering the TT to work as originally. I made note of the Lat/Long figures in the poiEdit file and re-entered them. (or the ones I wanted anyway)
Unit now works as before update.
Now I've gone through the pain I just wondered where this file now was & what it was called, thinking I could save a copy for the next update to stop me having to do it all again

Rgds Steve
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have Favourites any longer. You have a custom poi category called, perhaps favs.ov2. And that is exactly what you want.

The next map update, simply copy over all your custom ov2 files, including favs.ov2 (or whatever you've called it) to the new map folder.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaahhh Embarassed
Thanks Dave/Mike
What would we do without this site?

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best name for this file is "_My_Favourites.ov2" note the use of the _ at the very beginning of the name, this forces the device to list the file at the top of the custom POI list on the device rather than having to scroll through lots of pages to find it - Mike
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update - the 8.351 update has solved my problem with 'Operate my Go' and Computer voices being deemed incompatible with my 720 (on the Mac, anyway) Laughing
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurowla wrote:

From my backup (which you have of course!) I copied my old mapsettings.cfg file and (after saving the new mapsettings.cfg to my desktop) pasted it into the WE map folder.

Doing this will cause the famous "Looping" scenario so I opened up Home and using "Operate My Device" function I saved a random POI to "Add to Favourites" which effectively re wrote the mapsettings.cfg file into an acceptable format.

Disconnected the TT and Voila! all the old settings back in-place. If this does not work for you just put the saved mapsettings.cfg file from the new download back into the map folder.

This saved me having to reset all the camera warnings and kept my Favourites as well.

Brilliant - a total headache saver! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: