Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CAMRA POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CAMRA POI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoySA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: CAMRA POI Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone imported the CAMRA pubs POI file? If so how?
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=280240

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting to put this file on the SatMap active10 device or some other hardware platform - if you want to use it on the active10 then you will need to convert the file to a type that SatSync can read - Mike
RoySA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to put it on the Satmap but am not sure how to convert it nor whether the size is too large for the satmap
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand CAMRA are hoping to have several format versions of the data. But if the two formats are different (I THINK Satmap uses asc), POIEdit is a good converter program, though I am sure there are others.

Can't say about size - do you mean the data file or the icons? I'm sure there will be plenty of room on the card for the data.
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the person who made the GBG POI for CAMRA (as a volunteer), I can probably comment on this thread.

I'm very happy to create POIs in different formats. I'm currently working on the format for Nokia maps.

We had a support email from someone asking whether the SatMap G10 was supported. SatMap's product documentation had nothing in it about formats and how to load POIs on. For some silly reason, I didn't think to check here. The person who raised the support email put me in touch with someone from SatMap. I even sent a long email to him (lewis.price@satmap.com - Sales & Marketing Executive), with a whole load of details, but never received a response.

The main problem is that if we add a POI version for a specific device then we have to support that. Having never used a SatMap, it is a little difficult to test, prove, document the installation and subsequently support it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone here can convert it and test for you?
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. That said, it still isn't clear what POI format is supported. SatMap devices aren't listed on http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/camera_compat.php - so I can't confirm the format.

Until I have info about the format and how to load the POI onto a device, I can't justify my own time to work on it. I'll try to remember to chase the chap at SatMap that I emailed.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked SatMap about this and they have just replied that
Quote:
There is a new version of satsync being worked on to help the transferring of POI’s, this is due for release in about 6 weeks
so there should then be more information then.
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. When it is, I'll probably be on here asking for a volunteer to test a sample file and comment on the documentation that I'll have written.

I chased SatMap and now have contact details of someone more technical, who I'm waiting to hear back from.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex

Several of the formats listed include gpx ..so what is the problem?
Satsync 1.525
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that I didn't know that GPX was the format to use and that you could load it on with SatSync until today.

It isn't at all obvious - I thought that a good place to start was with the full manual http://www.satmap.com/pdf/fullguide.pdf (20MB). I couldn't find any mention of SatSync or GPX format in there at all (I've re-checked now). That's when I tried to get in touch with SatMap.

Thank you for the pointers. I suppose that I'd better get on with making a POI for it (when the Nokia one is complete).
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of points:

(1) GPX. As for routes SatMap FAQs says
Quote:
Q:I’ve got a GPX file that will not import.

A:We support standard GPX files however there are many variants of GPX. If you are
experiencing problems importing your route please check the file: if there is a lot of
information in there other than a simple route file (e.g. pictures, large text files, etc), then
this is not a standard GPX file and will not be compatible.
So there is the question of just WHAT the Active10 expects in a GPX file;

(2) POIs. While GPX files are in principle acceptable to Satmap, their system has to process the input data to produce a specific desired result. Setting up a POI display capability surely is not necessarily the same as plotting routes or waypoints (or other data). Information is required that is not necessarily on the planned route (until you realise you want to go there!Razz ).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I wonder whether it's not a bad idea to wait the short time till the Satsync info is available?

I've been trying to set the CAMRA GBG2009 POI data up in my Navigon 8110 - while the data format standards are quite straightforward, I have not yet had full success in the conversions - and have had a bit of data corruption on the way that I hope I have overcome Mad - due to format standard 'differences' and unit data limitations. So I'm a bit cautious about statements such as
Quote:
so what is the problem? Confused !!

AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info BigPerk. I'll ask SatMap to supply me an example of a GPX that they do support.

If you can create a sample GBG POI file (5 points?) of a working format on your Navigon 8110 and send it to the GBG POI support email address (gbgpoi AT camra DOT org DOT uk), I'll happily implement this format for you and your fellow Navigon users.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised CAMRA charge £5 to download the POI file in the existing formats !!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the cost of (less than?) a couple of decent pints, 4ndynorfolk - surely well worth it for non-lager louts Razz

(Well, it would be if I could get the conversion to work properly on my Navigon Confused )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: