Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520T Vs 530T - Is it easy enough process?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520T Vs 530T - Is it easy enough process?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: 520T Vs 530T - Is it easy enough process? Reply with quote

Hello everyone id like to say hello and a big thanks to a wealth of information. Ive looked around and seen i can upgrade the 520T to NavCore 8 and get the latest map with the "Latest Map Guarantee" Does this update give IQ routes and advanced lane guidance? Ive been very much considering the 530T as i can pick it up from a local store for under £200 rather than wait for 520T delivered online for £160?

How easy is the process? And is there anything different in comparison between the models that im missing?

Many thanks in advance for your replies
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done just that. Lane guidance is good but I have not done enough journeys to see the the IQ routes is working.
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for the reply, So the process is straight forward? Its just id rather not have to sit at home after buying and spend hours downloading and running numerous emails to and from TomTom? And to confirm the only additional differences are the cradle and the physical design of the unit?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron_Horse wrote:
And to confirm the only additional differences are the cradle and the physical design of the unit?
The x20 uses a blue/ grey menu background whereas the x30 uses a brown/ orange background, other than this minor difference an x20 with Navcore 8,010 installed and the v810 maps on it is identical to the x30 in terms of functionality - Mike
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has me confused is this regarding the TMC receiver in the 530T package

"This feature however only comes free for 6 months, after that a payment of around £9 ($18) will be required each month to keep this service up and running."

http://www.gaj-it.com/index.php/2008/05/23/tomtom-go-530-review-the-youngest-sibling-of-the-x30-family/

I was under the assumption traffic updates were free for life?

Edit: Thanks Mike as i thought then, Just want opinions/feedback on the process of updating a x20 to the x30 software, This is my first standalone GPS always used my PDA/Phone and usually a utter pain
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an American site that is stating you have to pay after 6 months? - in the UK you get the license to use RDS-TMC for the life of the product, this is not the case in all countries though - Mike
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank the lord! Was considering dropping the "T" model altogether, I hear many say its absolutely useless but im just going to see myself and if needs be i can always opt in for the HD receiver
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends upon where you are in White Rose land, the main transmitter for Yorkshire is Holme Moss which can be seen from miles around it - my units can pick up signals from it even though I am in Blackpool some 65 Miles away from the transmitter tower (straight line distance not road distance) - Mike
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakefield/Leeds Area, West Yorkshire. But will be pretty much travelling around the north of the country? Thanks again
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron_Horse wrote:
Wakefield/Leeds Area, West Yorkshire. But will be pretty much travelling around the north of the country? Thanks again
Yer talkin' the Rhubarb capital of the world! Ah, the tusky fields of my youth. Rispeck!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you must be from around here if you know Rhubarb is its main attraction! Embarassed Note the reason for a sat-nav! See more than this bloody place! Would you advise getting the TMC? Still not sure on where to go for x20 or x30 series, Will the HD work with x20s?
frosticles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

520 to 530 upgrade is easy enough to do.
I did one today at work, was straight forward enough using home, and it gives you lane guidance afterwards.

Steve
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothwell. One attraction you're overlooking is the people are civilised.

My 920 (for which read your 520) is now equivalent of a 930 (530), by virtue of upgrading the application (free download) and paying for the latest map upgrade. If you buy a new 520, you'll be entitled to a free map upgrade to the latest one.

I have TMC on mine and have concluded it's as reliable as Radio Five Live. Which is to say it gets traffic information when it gets it and it's as good as whatever is sent out. Even in the best case scenarios, it'll not be up to date - it'll be "recent". My personal estimate is at best half an hour, at worst much more. I think HD will work on x20s. I believe the only difference between Radio 5 and TMC is that TMC offers you the facility to re-route around an incident.

Today, going to London it warned me of traffic en route with a 28 minute delay and I accepted for it to re-route me. The new route was 8 miles and 24 minutes longer than the original route. I reverted to the original route on the equation of 8 miles worth of fuel versus 4 minutes. As is most often the case, the delay didn't exist when I reached the place it said it was! This is the problem - I just don't trust the information enough right now to take on board the re-routing. Other people may have different experiences to mine, I can only call it as I see it. People claim that the forthcoming "new improved recipe" "as seen on television" will be superb. I'm going to take some convincing!

Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be one of many who have told me the same scenarios, I think ill give it a try and see where it goes. I think the only think that sways me more toward the 530 is, Its more likely to function and be more likely to be a early option for the HD receiver should i ever want to take it on? Strongly considering a 720/730 at current although i very much doubt i will be regularly if at all travelling Europe i have seen it at £15 more which knowing should i ever need/want to the option is there, Rather than buy a memory card and pay £70+ for the additional map
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a magnate/oligarch who made his money in the rhubarb fields, £15 is nothing! The map update package will be a little dearer too I expect (£10?). What you could do to consider is the difference between 520 (without T) and 730T - might be quite a bit even on oligarch's money.

Looking at them side by side on your table without the antenna, you won't be able to see the difference. And after updating the x20 to latest application and map versions, without the antenna connected you'll not be able to tell the difference either.

I have three devices, including GO720 and GO920, both with latest everything. There is occasionally an odd minor difference in the route navigated, which I presume is down to some slight difference between the two maps. But really, 99.5% of the time, they are identical and would be identical to a 730/930 alongside them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: