Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikpoole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Lost... Reply with quote

Hello all for a while, I've been reading posts on this forum and yesterday took delivery of a 720.

I spent a while last night updating it to the latest software and maps, which took a while as I had a no maps found error. Anyway eventually it all installed fine. This morning I thought i'd try to download your very own Camera Database. Before doing this I thought it might be wise to just d/l a few POI's first just to get the hang of things...
My first question is, after reading all about d/l poi's, backing up device etc, I now realise I have no SD card, and presume all info is on the flash memory?
After d/l a few POI's namely A&E (hosp) I cannot get it to show up on my tomtom, even though it's in the maps folder. Do I add POI catergory then type A&E, I dont know, so lost.

Sorry I have tried looking at threads about POI's and have followed the installation, but cant get the icon or BMP to show up on my 720

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT..................................

I've just realised what i've done. I was putting the two files per POI in the maps folder not in the Western Europe folder....
Nik Rolling Eyes
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nikpoole
First of all did you make a backup after you had downloaded the map and found it all to be working fine? If so, you will be quite ok. Always, always make a backup (probably using Windows Explorer) before installing or deleting things from your device.

As for the SD card the device does not necessary require one as the programme is stored in Flash Memory as you already worked out for yourself.

Anyway, have you now got it working ok?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik

Have you enabled the POI's, so they show up on your TomTom.

If you have not, you can do this by:

Tap on the Screen then select,
Change Preferences
Show POI on Map
then select POI you require.

Also, you will be advised to make a back up of your device using Explorer (assuming your using windows), before making any changes, that way should anything happen, you can always restore it to how it was.
GO 920 Dead
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our advice has always been to put the POI files (or camera files or whatever) "in the map folder". That used to be all you had to say, because the map folder was obvious - it was the one called "Western Europe" or "Great Britain" or whatever, and there was nothing else similarly named.

In recent software however, TomTom have confused matters by adding another folder that is *actually* called "map".
We should be more careful how we describe the correct folder now, but "put the files in the folder which is named after your particular maps regions" is a bit of a mouthful!
nikpoole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your responses. Yes all is well and good thank you, I have backed it up using explorer and hope it will all be ok.
I am just going to take the plunge and try to install the PGPSW cameras, bit of a minefield, but everyone is so helpful on here i'm sure it will be ok.
As for the 720...
I love it! Laughing [/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: