Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hgv software for a nuvi 250.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hgv software for a nuvi 250.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clappo-of-stamford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Hgv software for a nuvi 250. Reply with quote

Hi all. I,m new on here.
I,ve just got a Garmin Nuvi 250 for use in my lorry. I don,t suppose anybody knows of software for it. As i drive a 44ton 13" 8' wagon. Preferably free as i have no credit debit cards. As i,m bankrupt.
Johnny.
Sad
tsans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wanting to sound unfriendly to a new poster, the Nuvi 250, like most (all?) of the Nuvi range, is designed for car use.

Only a couple of weeks ago, a large lorry got stuck (literally!) in the nearby village because he was using his satnav to avoid going the longer route on the main roads. He caused chaos.

I see unsuitable lorries at least once a week on the small back roads that I travel on, in fact one held me up this evening for at least 10 minutes because he couldn't negotiate the tight bend and the bridge over the canal, and everyone had to stop, backup, and let him try and turn round. And oh look, there's his GPS stuck on the windscreen.

Sorry if that's harsh, but if I made the rules it would be illegal for lorries over a certain size to even use a satnav that wasn't designed for commercial use.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accepting your financial situation, I know of no software that can be added on to the standard sat navs that is specifically for truck usage.

They tend to have an option for routing algorithms, but my understanding is that this only affects the assumption on vehicle average speed (on various class of road) that gets factored into the routing algorithms.

However, there is a sat nav targetted at truck drivers, that allowed the operator to configure things like height and weight of the vehicle, and was optimised for truck usage. Maplin did sell it, not sure if they still do. It wasn't cheap, I've never played with it, nor read any reviews, but I do know it was targetted at truck drivers for just that very sort of use.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the moment there 3 option for hgv sat nav though the map data wont cover all roads for at least a few years.

pronav not had good reveiws for what ive heard we did ask for a unit for reveriw but never received anything

snooper

has somebugs and mapdata issues see first comment definatly not fool proof yet

directions navigort 8 truck

available in pc and pda versions. we have this in for review at the monent it does do what it says on the tin where the map data has truck limitations on it .

the snooper uses Navteq im not sure about pronav though directions uses teleatlas data both have data issues and do not have 100% coverage as yet and should still be used with caution

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: