Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Weird Prices At Comet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Prices At Comet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Weird Prices At Comet Reply with quote

Just noticed Comet are doing an "exclusive to Comet" product which is essentially the TomTom XL V2 for £151.... not bad....

They are also offering another "exclusive to Comet" of teh same product...only this time with TTS (how do they get that when nobody else can ?) but at a price of £249! Are they p****d ? £100 extra for TTS...I might have paid and extra £10-20 but not £100...

What are they on ?

But also how come their XL comes with TTS and Tom Tom don't offer it to everyone ? Exclusive to Comet to one side I would have thought that making it an overpriced option is not too clever.

Still deciding on the 720 or the XL V2. The differentiator is the TTS which is why I spotted it

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the XL is only available in America with the TTS installed and working, but this would be a first for a European model, otherwise it is simply a typo on their web site.

As for your choice I would go with the 720; with the newer application made available earlier today and 28 days to sit it out to see if the new map is released within the Map Guarantee period you might bag a real bargain - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm dithering Mike.....but as you say the 720 is a solid device anyway and I can diable the FM and BT which I don't need and have the TTS.

The new app is interesting,....is this normally followed by new maps as well in this context. Although whatever map the 720 comes with I know I can download the latest within that 28 days. Just had this confirmed by Handtec who are selling the 720 @ £152 and the XL V2 Europe for £140

Ref Comet, its an expensive typo at £100 as well. I'll pop in there to check.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new map to go with the 8,3 software release isn't out as yet, so there is a little bit of a gamble as to whether it will be released within the 28 day period you have should you purchase the 720, but even the v810 map offers IQ Routes, the v815 map is needed to work with IQ-2 Routes which is what the newer 8,3 software release supports, non of the XL range support IQ Routes in any format - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike...thats worth a punt I think. The 8.10 maps will be more than good enough of course. You've convinced me.............or have you.....argh! Yes you have....

Mike........what is this new toy your signature keeps refering to ?...OK by chance I found it on another thread. The new HTC Pro is nice but I suppose you've eliminated that. I'm a fan of Smartphones but my preference is the Nokia E71...but good luck with your new device

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an old and used toy by now, you are quite right the sig needs updating - it was refering to the MWg Zinc-II PDA based mobile phone.

If you do decide to go for the 720 keep an eye on the forum for news of any map release before using your LMG, if the newer 815 map isn't released within the 28 days then you can still get the v810 map which is still better in terms of route planning than the maps supplied with the XL / One range - Mike
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords IN-STORE- The 720T is supposedly £149.99, 720 £139.99, if you can find one!! IN-STORE ONLY.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike...and Portman as well...on the hunt...

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another poster says map 815 is available today although there is a sertver problem. If you get your 720, check the lmg every day as it looks as though you'll definately get the latest map before your month is up.
SpriteDiaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yap!! it's working now!! I'm in the middle of downloading the latest map from Tomtom! It's cool cuz I've just bought my TT 730 yesterday Very Happy -
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered mine today from totalPDA after phoning around Halfords. Nice lady in Basingstoke, my local store, tried several stores that had it listed but they were all returned , faulty, units. So I gave up. £140 from total so that was fine. Gonna leave it for a few days before updating. Certainly going to do a backup before I start anything though

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: