Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera database breaks the law?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera database breaks the law?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the maps you can purchase at the garage forecourt? Most of them now come with some sort of safety camera locations on the maps. Some even have our PGPSW cameras now!

Surely we ALL cant be breaking the law Ken1414? Oh and Tomtom also have a safety camera database that comes pre-installed with most new devices and can be updated via a subscription service! They acting illegally too? Have you complained to them about their 'illegal' service they offer?

Next thing you will be telling me that my traffic receiver is illegal because it takes me off the main roads and via the not-so-main-roads.

iPhone 12
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken1414 wrote:

as regards the police publishing locations it is usually the speed camera partnerships that do this, Usually to try and calm public outrage at the failure of the partnerships to stop reckless drivers whilst targeting the law abiding majority with their fines etc to raise revenue

Just how do they go about fining the 'law abiding majortity'? Especially in the context of speeding. It's not law abiding to excede the speed limit, is it? Shocked However I do agree with your 'raising revenue' comment Rolling Eyes
But there again, you cannot beat a bit of controvesy to whip up a few responses Very Happy
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might go and turn myself in later.

Earlier this year I told my daughter where the camera vans were going to be that weekend - taken from the camera partership article in local paper - so I must be guilty. I will also stop buying the local paper which lists the intended positions of the vans. I throw myself to the mercy of the court.

Your database makes me a more alert and therefore hopefully safer driver.
Duncan

go 1005
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as pointed out many times, not all cameras are actually safety cameras - some are definitely revenue raising ones (Please don't think I would dream of actually expecting to get away in court with any such defence Smile - I know the law is still being broken).

But I think it is definitely worth being warned of such cameras because of their deliberate (mis/)placing. A couple of examples, but I'm sure everyone has plenty of them.

The A1 dual carriageway just up from the Hendon roundabout, has some houses etc on the intial part and then it becomes pretty rural, with a delimited sign. Where is the camera? NOT on that lower part where it would be useful, but IMMEDIATELY before the delimited sign, where the road before and after is exactly the same - how on earth can the one section be dangerous and the next identical section a few yards away safe? MONEY Evil or Very Mad

And locally there is a section of road with a junction which definitely was a hazard. NO problem with this at all (used to drive accordingly anyway). But there are 2 cameras - one on the approach to the junction Clap ; the other one? Again immediately before the derestriction sign, AFTER all the hazards. MONEY, again.

And again, everyone has examples of hidden or missing repeater signs. If you are driving in accordance with the conditions as you see them, but there is just a particular section which the authorities think warrants protection then it is very easy to find yourself above the limit on a wide, safe, part of a dual carriageway, for example. So I find my satnav's display of what it thinks is the current speed limit extremely valuable (even though I still don't take it as a warrant for doing the speed limit even when it's not safe).

So I have no problem in PGPSW's database (if only I could get it onto my current **?&%%** Censored Navigon unit).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
because in the South East I think it is fair to say that most Local Authorities no longer take responsibility for ensuring that vegetation is cut back to the road line.

Blame some of this on the tree huggers. I have a friend who owns a garden centre and once when I visited, I told him his trees were obscuring his sign 100 yards up the road - his trees on his land. He said he had been expressly forbidden by the local council from cutting back his own trees and bushes until after budding and nesting seasons were well over - i.e. not until autumn. When I was in Highways (before everybody else was born), we used to go out and threaten people with mayhem if they didn't trim their hedges back to clear roadsigns and pedestrians' heads. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Silestanix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the database 100%...some of us venture into parts of the land that we aren't familiar with; and if road signs are obscured from view, we won't know what the speed limit is, and if a camera is futher up and we get flashed, then who will take the points Ken? You wanna donate your address to me and others who need our licences for our livelihoods and to keep food on the table?

Some of us don't speed intentionally, yet we can still be screwed over by the 'hidden road signs + speed camera' recipe.

You obviously have x-ray eyes Ken, you can see through hedges, foliage, trees, etc, which obscure cameras. You also abide by the law 100% and stick to the limit at all times as you are obviously above everyone else to come onto this forum criticising a the database and this site, both tools which people use to help them get on with their everyday lives without the gov't sucking up more money from fines and leaving families hungry because we can't bring food to the table as the boss has sacked us for losing our licence.

Get a life Ken, go out into the real world and drive around. Your comments on a forum like this leave you deserving a right hook across the face with reality...and a JCB Shovel.

Idiot.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the story where a resident complained that a sign was obscured and the council sent workers out, who promptly cut the sign in half and welded in a 2ft extension so it cleared the vegetation. You really couldn't make it up!
Silestanix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Lol haha! Laughing

I was lucky I had the database on my phone and running today, went up to Notts, came up to a Truvelo and luckily Speedcam alerted me to the 50mph limit...I was in an NSL limit only a mile back...!
eralyn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread has not been posted to in a while, but I have only just noticed it. I have a suggestion as to the piracy of your data base.
You have indicated that some of the editions of your data base that are offered free on file sharing sites are not entirely accurate, either placed there by yourselves or others. Why not then list these editions in your newsletter, (you obviously do not want to list the names of the P2P sites they are from). But you could say something like it has come to our notice that the Database Version *.**.DD MM YY offered from pirate sites has errors and could be misleading and dangerous and could if used incur penalty points on your driving licence.
Only a fool would want a speed camera database on their GPS that is not accurate, as the whole point of obtaining something for nothing is that they are getting the real thing for free. Maybe armed with this type of information would stop people trying to get them without payment and the only course of action would be to purchase legitimate copies of the data base from you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice idea buy the 'fools' who would rather scour the P2P's and Pirate sites for links to our data don't have the brain power to fathom the bit about quality of data. They're over the moon when someone leaks a 2mth old copy, it doesn't occur to them that an out of date database is worse than no database.

We have really made a huge dent into the sharing/piracy problem now and at worst we get one or two every few months.

As for those that choose to source the database in that fashion, good luck to 'em, one day they'll have good cause to regret it!
johalareewi
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
...an out of date database is worse than no database.

Which is why the official TomTom one is no good. It is so out of date even if it is free with a new TomTom.
welshtourist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Never understood why arguments like this start, if you find that you will benefit from a microwave or any other item you buy it same as anything else, if you dont have a use for it why start a moral crusade on a site you have no interest in using for the reasons it was setup for ????

If your against cars you dont block petrol garages ranting about it do you, no, as you would find yourself before the courts or packed off to the funny farm by your relatives.

I have used GPS Navigation for walking cycling and motoring for years and still get caught out by unreadable/covered signage warning of speed limits/restrictions, i dont use it to avoid speed cameras i use it to make sure i am always aware of the roads ahead and also the crazy changes in limits on roads.

There are several roads here in the south wales valleys that start off at 30mph restrictions approaching unpopulated areas and change to national speed limits before changing back to 30mph for no apparent reason, no houses, no street lights, nothing apart from a camera van randomly parked to catch out people who assume the road stays at the national limit and miss the obscured 30mph signs - revenue cameras are every where, so i find the use of this database a necessity these days.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken1414 wrote:
no never been banned thks. boring argument over whether they are safety cameras etc. if you need a device to tell when the road is unsafe you are clearly not a safe driver.

Well Ken1414, if you are still visiting these forums whats your thoughts on this then.

Does this also apply to the vehicle speedo. Surely that tells you when you are speeding by its very nature of the needle giving a LIVE readout.

So is that morally wrong as well Stop!

Well I think I will have one for the road Cheers!
mickporter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All local authorities are obliged to place warning signs before you approach speed cameras. Local papers weekly publish the locations where speed cameras will be placed that week.

New signs now appear regularly which indicate your speed and warn you too slow down if you are exceeding the limit (which in my view are much more effective).

Is that not what my Garmin does with this database installed?? It makes me MORE aware of my speed, thus causing me to drive responsibly. The software does not indicate which cameras are actually working, therefore all it does is make me much more speed aware.

It is not illegal to have this information, this is an invaluable safety feature which more drivers should be using. No laws are being broken here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: