Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 730T - Have I knackered it ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

730T - Have I knackered it ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: 730T - Have I knackered it ? Reply with quote

A couple of times today , whilst using my 730T a red box appeared in the top right corner of the screen with these words inside of it:

Unable to store map settings.
File access error

I was a bit perturbed , but the unit was working as it should , so I thought no more about it.

I did try to add a POI today to my 730T but once I had entered all the information in , up popped the box again and the POI would'nt save.

Anybody got any ideas what this is about ?

Is it something that I have done or is it a fault with the unit ?

Most importantly is there anything I can do to get rid of it ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MapSettings.cfg file in your Western And Central Europe map folder is either corrupt or has been set to read only access, couple the device to the PC and use Windows Explorer to check the properties of this file by right clicking it and choose properties from the pop up box, uncheck the read only box if selected.

This often is due to disconnection of the device from the PC without stopping the USB connection first, if any file transfer is still in progress it can mess up the files - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it is my favourite problem with the gnsdata file.......
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The MapSettings.cfg file in your Western And Central Europe map folder is either corrupt or has been set to read only access, couple the device to the PC and use Windows Explorer to check the properties of this file by right clicking it and choose properties from the pop up box, uncheck the read only box if selected.

This often is due to disconnection of the device from the PC without stopping the USB connection first, if any file transfer is still in progress it can mess up the files - Mike

Mike , you are a Prince among men !!!!!
I did what you suggested and yes the Read Only box was checked.
Did what you said , unchecked it , just tried to add a POI and IT WORKED !!!!!
No annoying box popping up...................job done.

Many thanks Mike !!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth backing up the file i.e. copy it to your PC while the device is in a known good working state, it contains all your POI warning settings along with other data saved to the device.

If it messes up again you can simply copy it back to the device overwriting the corrupt file without loosing anything, this is more important if you have the device set up for spoken POI alerts using the Text To Speech function, as what you type for the device to store is saved in that file, it can take ages to re-build a complex setup - Mike
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Or it is my favourite problem with the gnsdata file.......

I am trying to make a new backup , having done what Mike said to get rid of the File Access Error box and with the latest camera downloads.
But as I try to paste and press OK , it starts to copy and then a box pops up on my PC and says:

Error Copying File Or Folder
cannot copy gnsdata: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

I cannot carry on with the backup when this happens.
Is this what you are talking about Andy in your post ?
What do I do about this ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the gns folder on the device using Windows Explorer and delete the gnsdata file, once it has gone you can back up the device, the unit will create a new one when it boots up so I wouldn't worry about getting fid of it - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mikealder
Re: backing up the MapSettings.cfg file. Yes, I fear that most users fail to recognise the importance of this file. They see the importance of making a Windows Backup (before or after installing a new map etc) and then tend to jog away until the next major event.
I think backing up the cfg. file should be backed up on a regular basis, after all its only a small file yet so vital.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Go to the gns folder on the device using Windows Explorer and delete the gnsdata file, once it has gone you can back up the device, the unit will create a new one when it boots up so I wouldn't worry about getting fid of it - Mike

I found that although I deleted the gnsdata file, it didn't actually delete! Stayed there, but with a size of Zero. And still stopped the copy and paste backup. No matter what I tried, it refused to be done away with.

My solution was to copy/paste as you have done already. When it stops at gnsdata, you'll have on your have hard disk a couple of folders, plus the gns folder with either nothing, or just the one file TmcEApi.so. Starting again, copy the file TmcEApi.so from TomTom to gns folder on your hard disk, if it isn't already there, then highlight, copy and paste all the subsequent folders from TT to hard disk.

Then format your 920 (just to get rid of the wretched gnsdata thing), then copy everything back again - as Mike says, it'll be without the gnsdata file and the 920 will create a new one itself.

As a side comment, I wonder if you are using Bluetooth phone connected for hands free? I have come to the conclusion that the combination of Traffic and Bluetooth handsfree causes this. Being fortunate to possess both a 720 and a 920, I have now setup traffic on one and phone hands free on the other - fingers crossed, it hasn't come back again (OK, only a fortnight, but previously, it wouldn't last a week with both phone and RDS-TMC on the same device).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
mikealder wrote:

I found that although I deleted the gnsdata file, it didn't actually delete! Stayed there, but with a size of Zero. And still stopped the copy and paste backup. No matter what I tried, it refused to be done away with.

My solution was to copy/paste as you have done already. When it stops at gnsdata, you'll have on your have hard disk a couple of folders, plus the gns folder with either nothing, or just the one file TmcEApi.so. Starting again, copy the file TmcEApi.so from TomTom to gns folder on your hard disk, if it isn't already there, then highlight, copy and paste all the subsequent folders from TT to hard disk.

Then format your 920 (just to get rid of the wretched gnsdata thing), then copy everything back again - as Mike says, it'll be without the gnsdata file and the 920 will create a new one itself.

As a side comment, I wonder if you are using Bluetooth phone connected for hands free? I have come to the conclusion that the combination of Traffic and Bluetooth handsfree causes this. Being fortunate to possess both a 720 and a 920, I have now setup traffic on one and phone hands free on the other - fingers crossed, it hasn't come back again (OK, only a fortnight, but previously, it wouldn't last a week with both phone and RDS-TMC on the same device).

When I deleted the gns.data file I still could'nt make a backup , so I copied it over as you suggested Dennis , which means I now have a backup.
The next part where I format my 730T is where I am starting to pap myself.
Firstly , how do I format it ?
Do I just find it on my PC ( in my case the K drive ) and then right click and choose the Format option ?
By doing this I am deleting EVERYTHING off of my 730T right ( I'm getting scared now ) ?
I then just make a copy of my new backup and copy and paste that into my K drive ?

With regard to your side comment , I do use the Traffic on my 730T and I do connect my mobile using the Bluetooth.
Should I maybe just use one or the other ?
If I wanted to connect the phone , by unplugging the Traffic aerial before I connect would that get around this problem ?
Then afterwards I could disconnect my phone again and plug the Traffic back in.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the correct way to format, right click on K, then Format (don't choose the quick format). Then copy and paste everything from your hard disk back to your K drive.

As for unplugging the aerial, using your phone, then plugging in again, I really don't know, only doing it will show whether that's a successful option. Sounds a bit like a lot of trouble, because if I were to do that, I'd make sure by disabling Bluetooth after the phone call, with the necessary re-enable and re-pairing the phone for the next phone call. I've never done that myself, simply because I want phone and RDS-TMC connected all the time. Keep a note of this procedure to backup and format, so that you can do it again if/when it all goes pear-shaped again. Not much use out on the road, of course.

An "on the road" solution would be to get yourself a 4GB SD card and copy everything onto that, then carry it (in the glove box, not in the 920) to use if it all goes wrong whilst out - the 920 will boot and run off the SD card in preference to its internal disk, so you'd have a "get me home" solution.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: