Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSW cameras & voices when upgrading map?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSW cameras & voices when upgrading map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: GPSW cameras & voices when upgrading map? Reply with quote

I have a ONE V1 - App7.903 - Map v 710.1571

Might be about time to update my map again. I have done it once before but I just can't remember how it works as far as GPSW cameras and voice alerts are affected....... Confused

Will the new map just replace the old one retaining ALL its contents so that I can just carry on with my current warnings & voices?

Or, will I have to transfer some? files over...........or re-do the whole thing from scratch.

One other thing, not sure if I should just buy the new map as a one-off or go for the method where I get regular updates. Any pros & cons ?

Thanks in anticipation of your usual excellent advice folks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect you to re-install the Speed Camera database and voice warning files then you will have to set up your Home location and POI warnings, if you find the Home software has kept your POI and voice warning files by copying them to the new map folder treat this as a bonus!

As for the update package vs the outright purchase, I thought it was cheaper for the upgrade and therefore the only option viable - even if you only download one or two of the four map releases you will have access to over the next 12 months.
Each map release is a full map, its not just a simple update when you join the 12 month subscription.

Before you do anything with the device though make a full backup of everything on the unit by using Windows Explorer to copy the lot to a known location on the PC - Mike
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I could have sworn I found a way of transferring POI & Favourites over to the new map last time I updated. Memory fails as you get older you know.

No problem with remembering to back-up though. I do one every 2 or 3 months anyway.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1952kev wrote:
Thanks Mike.

I could have sworn I found a way of transferring POI & Favourites over to the new map last time I updated. Memory fails as you get older you know.

No problem with remembering to back-up though. I do one every 2 or 3 months anyway.

POIs are easy, you just copy the .ov2 and .bmp files across from the old map's folder to the new one.

as for Favourites, you used to be able to copy the MapSettings.cfg file across, but v8.300 software needs a subtly different format, so the files aren't compatible.

but do you fancy trying this?
We're just discussing it over at yourNav...

Quote:
By all accounts, if you connect your GO to the PC and stick your OLD MapSettings.cfg file in your Map folder, then open HOME, go the Emulator and add a favourites position using the emulator, then disconnect apparently this creates the correct cfg file WITH all your existing favourites in.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought the Southern Africa map, and HOME carefully copied all the POI and voice files from my UK map to the SA one! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I recently bought the Southern Africa map, and HOME carefully copied all the POI and voice files from my UK map to the SA one! Confused
Did this with the USA Map, for a neighbour, and he ended up with the UK POIs in the new Map. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

POIs are easy, you just copy the .ov2 and .bmp files across from the old map's folder to the new one.

as for Favourites, you used to be able to copy the MapSettings.cfg file across, but v8.300 software needs a subtly different format, so the files aren't compatible.

but do you fancy trying this?
We're just discussing it over at yourNav...

Quote:
By all accounts, if you connect your GO to the PC and stick your OLD MapSettings.cfg file in your Map folder, then open HOME, go the Emulator and add a favourites position using the emulator, then disconnect apparently this creates the correct cfg file WITH all your existing favourites in.

There must be something to be said for sticking with my old faithful ONE V1 as things seemed to go much too easy. There must be a problem lurking but so far...........

Took a backup

Downloaded Quarterly map update v 815.2024 from HOME

Took another backup

My ONE is on App 7.903 so I just copied MapSettings.cfg from my first backup and replaced those on the upgraded map. Favourites now all present! Smile

GPSW speed cameras were also there on the upgraded map. Laughing

Now here is the odd bit. Warning voice files showed as there but when I did a demo navigation run I got no warnings (directions were fine)

While still connected to HOME I went into "Warn when near" and did just the Gatso cameras. Clicking on YES to use this sound (even though I hadn't chosen or heard one.)

Went back to re-try my demo run and not only did Gatsos work but so did Mobile and Specs cameras. I can only assume that means they all now work.

Fingers crossed but so far it looks as if I have got a map upgrade and kept everything I wanted without having to re-install it all.........touch wood.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW. New Map cost me £19.80 + £19.80 for Qtly updates = £39.60

I am still a bit vague on how this works. In a year from now will I just have to pay £x.xx ? for the Qtly updates bit or will TT want payment for a new map again?
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?

Emailed TomTom and their reply did not help to answer the question in the slightest. They just explained that I would get 4 Qtly updates as they came available........... Rolling Eyes

I had worked that bit out for myself. It's the options AFTER that I am unsure of.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map updates are full releases of a new map EACH time, so you are getting four new maps for less than the price of a single map purchase - what happens in 12 months nobody knows as yet as this scheme is still only a few months old - Mike
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: