Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS TMC Traffic Receiver Version
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS TMC Traffic Receiver Version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Can you see the device through the package? If so is there a little paper flag on the end of the cable? If the number on the paper flag ends in .013 it will be the latest version as far as I am aware.

The USB type TMC receiver would connect to the same socket on your tomtom as the power supply. When the TMC is in use you plug it into the tomtom and plug the car charger into the TMC receiver.

Oh I see - very clever.

No, the packaging doesn't let me see what's inside.

I paid £29 for the receiver and just went to a local shop where they have the new USB type receiver for £48. In which case I'll keep what I've got!
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to open the package and the tag ends in .013. It seems that means it's the latest version. Hurrah!

Gave it a try on my One 3rd Edition and it found updates within a minute. Yet to try it in the car - but then again it's an Xmas pressie and I shouldn't be using it anyway!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixhundred wrote
Quote:
The 3rd edition has only one usb connector. Therefore I presume it's receiver or power, not both
the power USB plugs into the receiver and the receiver plugs into the device so they are both powered. Mine seems to work well but you have to wait for it to get the traffic information all over again every time you turn the ignition off.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .013 RDS-TMC receiver doesn't drop the data when you de-power the device, this annoying trait is only applicable to the mini USB style receiver - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a mini-USB RDS unit which was marked (9V00.101 V4).
Plugs into my powered Brodit mount and because my car is an older VW the 12V outlet is unswitched - so no problems when I turn the ignition off - only if I remove the plug.

I'll check the tag on the cable - but the 'box' only has one mini USB - but as it seems to work I'm not too worried which actual version it is! One thing is for sure - it's seems more sensitive than the GARMIN GTM21 I have for the 660. But I will reserve final judgement until I have used it in anger.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom tag on the cable says its 4V 00-014. This seems to agree with other postings here. Anyway it seems to work very well no it's 'plumbed in' to my external aerial.
WhitePJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC versions Reply with quote

Is there anywhere I can find out the differences between the various TMC devices?

Basically, I note that TT have changed their standard device recommendation. The TT Go 720 has a TMCPro connector, as well as a USB connector. Search at the TT website for accessories, and they will sell you the USB device. Why use USB, when a dedicated socket is available, and a software update is required to use the USB version?

The two types are, I suspect, quite different. The USB device requires it's own power, whilst the other is powered from the TT device. But is this all? Are these things a simple FM receiver & decoder (similar to Navtex), or is there something more going on?

Any ideas?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave the "wiring" in the car the USB device is a better option as you then only have the usb TMC wire to plug into the device. With the older type you have to plug in the usb power connector and the TMC connector.

Also if you intend to upgrade in the future, the latest models only have a USB socket, something to consider.
WhitePJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
However, looking more for the technical abilities and differences of each device, rather than the practical or physical. Triggered by the initial thread question "what is the latest edition", it extends to "what is the difference between the versions available". For example, am I really going to care if I have a 5V00.108.3 piece of hardware, or does 5V00.112.2 have, for example, better reception capability, lower power consumption, etc. Or, perhaps the unit is a bit more complicated than the 'simple' navtex receiver, and 5V00.112.2 actually refers to the firmware embedded into the device, which then decodes the received signal better than the preceding models?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini USB receiver does appear to be slightly better in terms of reception, it grabs the signal far faster than the older unit when in areas of marginal signal strength.

The mini USB receiver will power down when you turn off the ignition (if your ciggy socket is switched, like most are), this can be annoying when you stop for fuel etc as you will loose the signal. As you set off again it can take some time for the device to achieve a signal lock, the RDS receiver with the round plug doesn't do this as long as the TomTom is switched on it will maintain TMC reception - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The mini USB receiver does appear to be slightly better in terms of reception, it grabs the signal far faster than the older unit when in areas of marginal signal strength.

The mini USB receiver will power down when you turn off the ignition (if your ciggy socket is switched, like most are), this can be annoying when you stop for fuel etc as you will loose the signal. As you set off again it can take some time for the device to achieve a signal lock, the RDS receiver with the round plug doesn't do this as long as the TomTom is switched on it will maintain TMC reception - Mike

I have the mini-USB version - it does acquire a signal very quickly - and seems to hold on to it. I only have a nuvi unit (the GTM-21 TMC) to compare with and it seems to be much quicker and more sensitive.

Re the power down. You don't leave your GO in the car at a petrol station do you? I would have thought that was asking for trouble. Or does the unit (the FM-RDS-TMC) remain on with the device removed as long as you supply power to it? The GTM-21 didn't seem to do that .
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use the unmanned petrol stations so I stay with the car at all times, in any case a would be thief would probably get tangled up in all the cables strewn accross the dash Wink - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
[ou don't leave your GO in the car at a petrol station do you? I would have thought that was asking for trouble.

OT but FWIW, theft from vehicles at petrol stations is very rare in my experience, too many witnesses, video cameras etc. So long as you lock the vehicle there shouldn't be any great risk.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
theft from vehicles at petrol stations is very rare in my experience

That's because Darren has certain little extras installed with his sat navs.... Twisted Evil
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the right one? For a 520?

Cheapest i can find at £40.90 inc VAT and P&P (except when Play.com where doing it for £39.99 - now £49.99)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: