Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI submission
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI submission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: POI submission Reply with quote

I have found over 40 POI errors be it just missing (Geggs 16+ branches) wrongly named (Maplin Strand and Bishopsgate) and Part name missing (Argos Old street is Old, east ham is just East)

Can I ask is the POI checked properly before adding it to the database as in the case of the Maplin mess up the address actually has the address in the POI data so there should not be any mess ups
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gpsfox,

Are you talking about manufacturers' built-in POIs, third party POIs from other websites, or the free POIs from PocketGPSWorld, which you can down load from here?

If you're talking about the free POIs from PocketGPSWorld then please submit the corrections using this page. That way, following downloads of the POI categories are more accurate and everybody benefits.

I prefer to use PocketGPSWorld POI data because I trust it more that third-party data as a lot of our community here use it and report corrections so that everybody can enjoy accurate POIs.

I have just sent in a correction to the PGPSW POI database to update the location of a restaurant that I went to last night. It was a 100 metres out but it's always good to have accurate data.

If it's manufacturers' built-in POIs or a third party POIs, then you should contact them.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the data that is submitted is looked at to see if it 'looks' correct. There is no way that looking at a Map can tell you with 100% certainty, that a given location is correct, or that any of the data is as it should be.

It should also be borne in mind that some of the POIs go back to before 2005, and a lot can happen in that time.

I'm not sure what you would define as "checked properly", but if it means having to access the companies Site Locator, and checking the details against the submission details, then that would entail doing double the work.

The criteria for what goes into the Title, etc. is covered in the Submission Guidelines.

In the case of the noted case of Maplins, the Title field would contain the Town/City/Major Suburb, Road Name/Retail Park Name.

In the case of sites that are missing from the DB, this is down to the fact that they are added/amended as Users find them, and then submit the details. There are probably several thousands of 'missing' POI locations in the UK alone, but inroads are being made on this front.

EDIT: After reading Privateers reply, I should state I am talking about the PGPSW POIs. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably loads that were submitted / collected using Post Codes only, they are going to be well 'out of whack'.
I submit corrections as and when I can, even things like banks and post offices can be in the wrong place. Barclays Bank which is about 600 yds from my address was actually shown as being in my front garden. Not a problem when people were posting money through my letter box, but then I had to keep giving it back!!
gpsfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i refer to the poi files on here i am looking to get a sat nav unit for my bike and currently use ms autoroute to look at the pois i can try my best with out a gps to submit locations but some locations are not easy to edit as there is other poi locations on the same spot i think a poi filter may help this problem sorry for any errors in this post is i am using my mobile phone to do this post
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: POI submission Reply with quote

gpsfox wrote:
I have found over 40 POI errors be it just missing (Geggs 16+ branches) wrongly named (Maplin Strand and Bishopsgate) and Part name missing (Argos Old street is Old, east ham is just East)
Have you submitted the corrections? The free POIs are a community project here.

TANSTAAFL.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsfox wrote:
i refer to the poi files on here i am looking to get a sat nav unit for my bike and currently use ms autoroute to look at the pois i can try my best with out a gps to submit locations but some locations are not easy to edit as there is other poi locations on the same spot i think a poi filter may help this problem sorry for any errors in this post is i am using my mobile phone to do this post

Hello matey, I have fond that i have to zoom right in to fix a POI. Like you say, some places have a lot in a small place. If you can zoom right in, then you can mostly get the POI 'as near as damn it'.
I think it might be better to use a gps to do this rather than a mobile mind.
gpsfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been updating pois as i find them i try to take part in this community as best i can i am currently looking for a sat nav to aid me better on this community to the comment regarding noble usage thats only when i post replies here on the forum pgpsw is a good community and will be the only pois on my sat nav when i get it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: