Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updated "Help Me" section?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updated "Help Me" section?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Updated "Help Me" section? Reply with quote

Some of the parts of the Help Me section on my TT 930 seem to be wildly inaccurate. For example, while it is showing my local doctor and so on correctly, it is showing my nearest vet as Johan devloo, 325 miles away!

Is there a way of correcting this? Thanks
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Dutch vets by the look of it!

The Chemists and Doctors are all wrong , it looks like they may have copied some home addresses from the pharmacists database or whatever they use. There is actually a Doctor in my street and they have given his home address. He will be annoyed when people with TomTom turn up at his door.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an update file available from the TomTom web site to partially address this problem, it includes a far greater number of locations for these missng categories, try a search using HelpMe on either this forum for a direct link (a similar question was asked in the last couple of weeks) or search the TomTom web site - I would provide a direct link but using the phone isn't too easy - Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
There is actually a Doctor in my street and they have given his home address. He will be annoyed when people with TomTom turn up at his door.

Wow, yes. Near me are loads of plain names of people, and none of them GP surgeries. Perhaps more interesting is that the one that it says is nearest is a Mortgage company. Perhaps they anticipated I'd need financial surgery? Perhaps most interesting is that I can't find my own doctor's two surgeries, or any others that I know of.

These features should should not be enabled while they contain such poor information. In an emergency they will just waste people's valuable time.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the other categories, petrol, police, pharmacy all have good info. The public transport has railway stations, but not the bus station.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="matthewj"]
MrT wrote:
Perhaps more interesting is that the one that it says is nearest is a Mortgage company.

You must either live near me (London W7) or there is more than one Mortgage company in the doctors list!

A while ago I actually stumbled across the web-based directory listing with this wrong information on it.

When so many people complained that there were NO UK doctors in their POI file, what I suspect TomTom did was hire a load of (semi-literate) students and get them to copy the data off websites.

Spike UK, Mr T and all... have you found the UK doctors, Dentists, Police and Pharmacies yet?
The page to find them on is HERE

For other categories, download the ones from this site, and if you wish, you can APPEND them onto the built-in category by using my technique detailed in THIS post, so you don't get double categories showing in the list
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that site and downloaded the Doctors file. It was extracted as gbr_Doctors.ov2 and dated October 2007. It appeared no different to the list that is inbuilt in the single POI file or alternatively my Go ignored it in preference to the inbuilt file.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have ANY UK doctors on your built-in list, you probably don't need the add-on one.

But if you had already got them, and the add-on list installed correctly, then you'd know because you should have ended up with double entries for a lot of the UK ones.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

You must either live near me (London W7) or there is more than one Mortgage company in the doctors list!

There are six mortgage companies in the latest doctors list. There were many more when they first introduced it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: