Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No escape from New cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No escape from New cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Quite simple to make, a PDA with WiFi or Bluetooth, a car PC with some hardware that can drive a couple of relays and a vacuum actuator for the throttle, unless you want to go "fly by wire" which is better in terms of controllability, but this requires additional electronics to modulate the throttle.

Exclamation This looks interesting Exclamation

If I knew what to put in my shopping list, would I be going to the likes of Maplin or Halfords?

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
nmmg2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of the limiter is to keep you to the correct speed when you've missed the signs. Can keep pretty well to the limit when I've seen it but when in unfamiliar territory particularly looking for some difficult to find address or road can be difficult. Vauxhall Insignia has a camera to read roadsigns so maybe that route would be better (no good if sign is obscured though).

Car is drive by wire and work provided so unlikely to be able to do much about it. Has anybody made any tomtom software that tell you when you're going above the limit (even that would be of some help)?
nmmg2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'm with Mike on this, I'm all for the proliferation of Specs and ANPR cameras. And I'd have dedicated "Chase cars" to take them off the road there and then and crush the cars, no second chances.

Oddly, I learned only yesterday that my mate who was snapped by our local 30mph Gatso got a ticket saying he was doing 33mph.

Bit harsh for your mate's car to be crushed for a minutes inattention, isn't it?
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mike, it's OK, I have found your previous post explaining it here, I'll probably just keep an eye on my speed!

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmmg2 wrote:
Bit harsh for your mate's car to be crushed for a minutes inattention, isn't it?
How many minutes does it take to kill a child? How many minutes does it take to kill my grandchild or yours (or any other small relative if you're not old enough for grandchildren)? Is it a good "excuse" to say your attention wasn't switched on for a minute? Would you forgive somebody who killed your relative for a minutes inattention?

Get your car crushed, you'll probably remember it was because you were speeding, you may remember to stay inside the speed limit with the next car.

The debate over what speed limit should apply to "safe" motorways leaves me cold. The limit right now is 70mph - don't exceed it and I'll not crush your car (and you won't have a difficult conversation with your company car fleet manager). Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmmg2 wrote:
The whole point of the limiter is to keep you to the correct speed when you've missed the signs.

I thought the whole point of a limiter was to prevent you from inadvertently drifting over the limit. You should be aware of what the limit is at all times - the signs are clear enough.

Quote:
Can keep pretty well to the limit when I've seen it but when in unfamiliar territory particularly looking for some difficult to find address or road can be difficult.

Being in unfamiliar territory is no excuse - you need to be even more vigilant. And when you're using a satnav you don't need to be looking for the road anyway. You'll be directed to it.

Quote:
Has anybody made any tomtom software that tell you when you're going above the limit (even that would be of some help)?

I don't know about the earlier models, but the x20 series and above can be set to alert you if you exceed the speed limit as on your TomTom which, of course, isn't necessarily right.
Samsung Galaxy S21
nmmg2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

How many minutes does it take to kill a child? How many minutes does it take to kill my grandchild or yours (or any other small relative if you're not old enough for grandchildren)? Is it a good "excuse" to say your attention wasn't switched on for a minute? Would you forgive somebody who killed your relative for a minutes inattention?

So looking at your speedometer ALL of the time improves your reaction time to someone running out infront of your car does it?? Or maybe you have an ability to read a speedometer with one eye and look ahead at the road with the other?? THE WHOLE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT THIS IS GOING TO CAUSE DRIVER DISTRACTION!

I drive at 30 or 40 or as close to as I can without constantly looking at my speedo in towns. If there are pedestrians, particularly frail or young kids I slow down to well below the speed limit, particularly if they look like they're about to run out! The Tomtom has an inaccurate bleep that goes off if you are going more than 5 seconds or so above 34mph- but at 35mph hitting a pedestrian doubles the risk of actually killing them so is fairly useless. Actually specs cameras are USELESS for detecting people who drift up (as long as they drift down after) in any case!

If your mate was "distracted" by something else on the road which required more attention than his speedo then this was a good thing. Admittedly I tend to just lift off if something is happening ahead.

DennisN wrote:
Get your car crushed, you'll probably remember it was because you were speeding, you may remember to stay inside the speed limit with the next car.

Getting personal? If you really spend so much time looking at your speedo then I suspect you won't have the opportunity to have yours crushed. I suspect you will just ram the vehicle in front at some point! Maybe then you will remember to look out of the windscreen at some stage...

Just another point, won't fitting a gps limiter count as a modification and render your insurance policy null and void? I strongly suspect so and would suggest anyone using such a system to check with their insurer!

Last edited by nmmg2 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
nmmg2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmmg2 wrote:
The whole point of the limiter is to keep you to the correct speed when you've missed the signs.

Anita wrote:

I thought the whole point of a limiter was to prevent you from inadvertently drifting over the limit. You should be aware of what the limit is at all times - the signs are clear enough.

Obviously they're better at trimming hedges and put up clearer signs around you? I would say that in a lot of areas signing is fairly mediocre, and certainly the limits don't follow the guidelines written in the highway code.. Can you all honestly say you never get caught out not knowing what a speed limit is? In particular complicated junctions in unfamiliar places often mean you are left hunting for a sign some time after the one speed limit sign that was below or behind the other signs you are trying to decipher.

Anita wrote:
nmmg2 wrote:
Can keep pretty well to the limit when I've seen it but when in unfamiliar territory particularly looking for some difficult to find address or road can be difficult.

Being in unfamiliar territory is no excuse - you need to be even more vigilant. And when you're using a satnav you don't need to be looking for the road anyway. You'll be directed to it.

Your satnav obviously takes you to the correct house in a town- try it in the country. Usually 100 yards to 1/2 mile away as 6 digit postcodes are generally a lot bigger!

nmmg2 wrote:
Has anybody made any tomtom software that tell you when you're going above the limit (even that would be of some help)?

Anita wrote:
I don't know about the earlier models, but the x20 series and above can be set to alert you if you exceed the speed limit as on your TomTom which, of course, isn't necessarily right.

But as I said above it only limits you to within 5mph of the speed limit which is hopeless for a road safety and speed camera point of view (and the limit it displays is also often wrong).

I am constantly reminded that people don't drive at the speed limit in towns- by people following 1/2" off my back bumper. Other people I fairly often see speeding off having missed the limit sign only to see one and then brake hard. I was heartened to see driving 600 miles on sunday no fewer than 6 marked and 2 unmarked cops and only 1 camera van. Maybe the police are beginning to believe that more patrols are the answer.[/quote]

Quote tags edited for clarity - Oldboy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re trimming somebody’s post as a quote, it’s very easy to chop something off accidentally, particularly either a ] or [, thus making the quotes appear incorrectly.

When trimming quotes, I always use the preview button and make any corrections before submitting the post.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have come a long way in relatively few years and there have been a lot of improvements in road travel and safety within that time.
I think Dennis had a man with a red flag in front of him at one time Wink
It is human nature to want to progress and anything that we try, that could improve road safety is to be welcomed.
If no one had ever tried something better, we would all still have a red flag man!

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmmg2 wrote:
So looking at your speedometer ALL of the time improves your reaction time to someone running out in front of your car does it??
I use my gears to both remind myself of the speed limit and to stay within it. In 30mph built up zones, I often use 3rd gear and I don't care who I hold up. In my own estate, I rarely get above 20mph.
nmmg2 wrote:

DennisN wrote:

Getting personal?
Sincere apologies if that looks personal, because it wasn't meant to be - please accept my amendment as follows... "Get one's car crushed, one will probably remember it was because one was speeding, one may remember to stay inside the speed limit with the next car".
nmmg2 wrote:
If you really spend so much time looking at your speedo then I suspect you won't have the opportunity to have yours crushed. I suspect you will just ram the vehicle in front at some point! Maybe then you will remember to look out of the windscreen at some stage...
By using my gears as mentioned above, I find I don't need to stare fiercely at the speedo. By bending my right ankle, by listening to my engine, by feeling the seat of my bum when I'm cornering, by all similar experience, I find I don't force my vehicle over the limit. It's a question of attitude - I do NOT drive up to the speed limits, I drive below them. For those who feel the compulsion to push and/or exceed the legal limits, we have Specs cameras etc. Quite right, too.

Incidentally, by the time I got my red flag man, he was required to be a really good runner - we encouraged them with a pointy stick tied on the bonnet emblem. Twisted Evil They lost the job when they couldn't stay ahead!

jimmymac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but the SPecs3 system gets the thumbs down from me it's just another step closer to the complete Orwellian society we are becoming and the 'if you've nothing to hide' argument does not wash with me, thats just typical brainwashing to get you to accept it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmymac wrote:
Sorry but the SPecs3 system gets the thumbs down from me it's just another step closer to the complete Orwellian society we are becoming and the 'if you've nothing to hide' argument does not wash with me, thats just typical brainwashing to get you to accept it.
A worthy point of view, I'm sure. But would you do away with the CCTV which has enabled the identification of criminals, etc? I think the fact that it takes so long to go through CCTV footage after an "event" goes some way towards dispelling the brainwashing theory - if it takes that long to catch the murderer or bomber, it seems there simply aren't the resources for Big Brother to do the Orwellian bit? Surely the Specs3 system will catch the law breakers, not those who stay within it? Don't get me wrong, I would far rather have policemen, copcars, copbikes and helicopters all over the place, but we can't afford it, can we?

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
complete Orwellian society

Which is totally unfeasible and so impractical as to be impossible to achieve. The Orwellian Society is what it is. Part of a good book and a paranoid fantasy.
jimmymac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Criminals' and 'terrorists' are other buzzwords used.

It takes no time at all for a warning to pop on a computer screen after the face recognition or APNR technology identifies a target, dispelling the going through hours of tape theory.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: